What's new

The Dish - A Great Movie (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I just finished watching this movie with the family, what a treat and a great movie to boot. This film was only in my town for about a week when it was released to the big screen. That is really to bad as this was a joy to watch.
If there was ever a sleeper movie that deserves to be huge on DVD, this has to be it.
The colors and audio are first rate, with some very active sub woofer output.
I can’t say enough about this movie except that if you don’t buy it to add to your collection, you’ll be missing out on a close to reference disk both audio and video.
I found my copy at Barnes & Noble.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, I watched 'THE DISH' a couple of weeks ago and found it to be charming movie with great performances by all the leads, in particular, Sam Neal and Patrick Warburton (Puddy from Seinfeld). Even all the minor characters were fleshed out with all their quirks and foibles. It had a great deal of humour in it as well. I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I watched it a few weeks ago, this is an excellent movie. We watched it the weekend after the WTC was attacked and found it to be a charming, uplifting movie.
The little austrailian boy guard was very funny.
------------------
My DVD Collection

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Bill, i saw it in the theaters several months ago, and i enjoyed it as well. I wouldn't call it "great", because i thought it was a tad too over-dramatized and sentimentalized. But *just* a tad.
It sure helps the film when the real story is a great one...
------------------
History can be cruel in its brevity of words

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I finally saw this over the weekend. I found it to be a touching and poignant film. I'm glad they didn't give Sam Neill an Australian accent. I'd rate this film
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
(out of four).
The picture quality was surprisingly very good compared to the theatrical trailer I saw.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006466.html

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
I'd agree, it was good for the kids to see what my wife and I reminisced about seeing when we were 8 years old in 1969 - Neil Armstrong walking on the moon. Who doesn't remember where they were that day?
Entertaining with good educational value. The kids liked it a lot.
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Err, Sam Neill very much speaks with an Australian accent in this film (even if he was raised in New Zealand). 90% plus of Australians speak just like him and close on 100% of educated Australians would have spoken that way in the late 1960's. Not everyone speaks like Russell Crowe or Paul Hogan.

I hope for the sake of all you region 1 people that the DVD came with all the extras the Australian release did.
It is one film where the commentary is well worth listening to - in both the film and the NASA footage.
Christine

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
This is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time, and a good "goto" DVD to have when friends or family come over, so you can watch a great film that they probably haven't seen. It's just an excellent, uplifting, feel-good movie. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am closer to understanding what it was like to see Armstrong walk on the moon, and what it meant to the world.
While a special edition would have been nice (
furious.gif
grrrr), the movie alone is more than worth the $14.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night as a rental. VERY GOOD movie!
The combination of drama and comedy was very refreshing! There was a scene with the Rocket launch that shook my whole room. While it wasn't the deepest bass that I have ever heard, it was probably sustained longer than any bass scene I remember! I will probably purchase this, and even use that scene as my new demo for showing off my subwoofer!
Highly recommended movie!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Christine, I think the R1 version lacks the extras, but the R2 version (out in a couple of weeks) definitely has all the R4 extras.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I just got finished watching this movie and I was totally surprised. This was a great movie. This one came in under my radar. If you feel daring take a chance and give this one a view.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I bought this DVD largely on the basis of the recommendations in this thread. I loved it. I watched it again about 5 days ago, and thought to myself "man, I forgot how good this movie really is"!
The humor is great, as is the story itself (which is based on actual events). Highly recommended!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I loved this movie. It's very well-written, directed, and acted. It's too bad the R1 release is barebones; I'd love to hear a commentary for it or see some NASA footage, but the movie itself is worth the $15 you can get it for most places over here.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
A wonderful movie with some hilarious lines.

"That's why nobody asks you, darling."

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
A wonderful film -- I saw it in the theater and had the DVD pre-ordered, and watched again as soom as it arrived.

Strongly recommeded!

Does anyone know what the features of the R4 SE are?

Ted

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
From the Link Removed website:
Commentary by Director Rob Sitch
2nd Commentary by Writers Jane Kennedy and Tom Gleisner
The Footage We Loved But Couldn't Use documentary
The Dish On The Dish featurette
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Hidden Dish - White Rabbit feature
Apollo 11 Diary notes
Key Dates In Early Human Space Flight notes
Storyboards
Cast & Crew Bios
Photo Gallery
The Region 2 disc has the exact same extras. In fact, now that I think about it, it also has an exclusive interview with Sam Neill as well.

The most unfortunate thing about the R1 being
bare bones is that commentary tracks have been
recorded with an international audience in mind.
There is sometimes a little bit extra explanation
than would be required for a purely domestic
market and a couple of times they directly address
international listeners. So I was very confused
when I saw a movie only R1 released.
Although I am obviously biased, after all it is an Aussie
film :), the quantity and quality of the extras
is very high. I would have no reservations
recommending anyone with multi-region and PAL
capability picking up the R4 or R2, especially if
you have enjoyed the film. I particularly loved
the commentary tracks and the NASA footage which
also has a commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks