What's new

The Disappointed with TMB thread (1 Viewer)

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
I've played a few hours of TMB since I got it, and I have to say i'm kind of disappointed. I won't put up a fight over it though, I'm probably the only one on the planet who doesn't love this game to death right now. I'm a huge fan of TM1 and 2, and very familiar with the vehicular combat genre. The game has all the right things going for it, but I can't find any of the same magic from the previous games.
The cars all basically handle the same no matter what the size. There's no real weight to them, and they all stop and turn on a dime. I don't like any of the views, and using any of the big cars dwarfs all the others. Play as Darkside and try to make out any of the cars further than 10 feet from you. It's impossible! Tiny arrows aren't enough. The level design is kind of bland, it reminds me of Vigilante 8, except the only interaction with the environment is blowing it up. I'm not impressed with any of the weapons either, they're too gimmicky and tough to hit with.
These seem like nit-picks when viewed separately, but as a whole the game just isn't very fun
frown.gif

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I'd have to agree with you. It's another uninspired PS2 game that is basically an old game with enhanced graphics. I played it about an hour when I first got it last Tuesday and I haven't gone back to it since. I thought the older Twisted Metal games actually played better. I'll probably be selling it on eBay within the week.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Well...I loved this game.
I think the graphics, frame rate and explosion effects show off some of the power the PS2 has under the hood.
Its awesome!
------------------
LuvLBX
The screen isn't half empty, it's half full.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Well when I first read your post I was like what is he crazy!? A TM2 fan that doesn't like TMB, how could that BE! ha To be fair I thought I'd play more and look for what you're talking about. But I just played a round with Darkside and I really don't see what you are talking about. I usually like small/quick cars and playing Darkside just wasn't the same. She's slow and doesn't handle as well as say Grimm does. And yes she's a lot bigger but I don't think it affects being able to see in front of you. Are you playing by yourself or is it split screen? I guess that could affect things. It was the same way in TM2 though. Mr Slam took up lots of room on the screen when you played two player, I don't really know how they could fix that. Should a motorcycle and a big rig take up the same amount of space? I'm not crazy about all the levels or all the cars, but that's to be expected I think. Grasshopper and Antartica didn't make me not like TM2.
that is basically an old game with enhanced graphics
This is actually what I was hopeing for cause TM2 was great except for the graphics. I do feel that they improved more than just the graphics though.
I mean honestly the first 15 minutes I was like "hmmm is this is great as I had hoped", but it has gotten better and better with each time I've played.

chaz fifer

Agent
I honestly don't know what you are talking about either.The levels are huge,the graphics are a great leap forward,and it feels just like the TM of old!it's everything i had hoped for when i heard it was comming out.
but in all fairness,i'm playing on a 53" screen,so i might understand what you ar talking abot if my tv was smaller.what size is your tv?
------------------
"I'm trying to contain an outbreak and you're driving the monkey to the airport!"

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Well, guess no expects everyone to like it...
But I'm with the other guys, I love the game! Sure, it plays like TM2, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm not sure what you are talking about with the vehicles, I can tell a definite difference between the larger and smaller vehicles.
My only real gripe with the game is some of the weapons I wish they had left alone. Like the ricochet. It no longer knocks vehicles back, and I wish it did. I always loved knocking enemies off ledges and such in TM2 with the ricochet. It also doesn't last nearly as long as it did in TM2.
I also wish they had kept the napalm...I always did love that stuff!
I really like the gas can weapon...but I kind of wish they had left the bombs as a separate weapon. I also don't like how when you lay a gas can as a bomb it doesn't last longer. In TM2 I would always leave a bomb somewhere and hide in a perch somewhere and wait till someone drove by it. Can't do that very well in TMB since the bombs self destruct after only 10 or 15 seconds.
Aaron

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Aaron, I miss the napalm and remote bombs. I think the ricochets look cooler but yeah they should last longer and kick people back more. Pretty small complaints though. I definitely like how they changed the lightening weapon of TM2 to the enviornmental weapon which can sometimes be lightening. It always annoyed me when you got stuck with lightenings after Moscow and couldn't get rid of them until Hong Kong.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Ryan m,
"It always annoyed me when you got stuck with lightnings after Moscow and couldn't get rid of them until Hong Kong"
Haha! I had forgotten about that! I always hated that too. My friends and I would laugh at one another if one of us got stuck with lighting after Moscow on co-op play.
Anyone else think the Prison Passage level (the one you start on the huge ship that is docking) completely kicks ass? I LOVE that level!!
Aaron

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I loved TM1, but I think my expectations of what makes a good game have changed drastically since then. Twisted Metal Black seems a lot more like work than fun, and it's an empty shell of a real multiplayer game.
Back to SSX...
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
"Twisted Metal Black seems a lot more like work than fun"
I simply call that a good challenge...a rare thing these days. TMB kicks ass!
Aaron

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else think the Prison Passage level (the one you start on the huge ship that is docking) completely kicks ass? I LOVE that level!!
I agree, it's one of my fav levels. I love the waves crashing over the side of the ship, looks great.
I really don't see how you can not like this game if you were a fan of the original series. I've been playing it by myself and with my girlfriend (who is a big fan of the series) for a couple hours a day probably and it gets better and better each time. The only complaint I have is that I keep laying mines everywhere by accident, that's annoying.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
The only complaint I have is that I keep laying mines everywhere by accident, that's annoying.

I take it you are using the digital pad? I just found the D-pad to be much easier use except I'm always leaving mines everywhere too.
I love how this game incorporates elements from from both TM1 and TM2. Like how they brought back Yellowjacket and Darkside from TM1...and the repair stations.
I also love the Downtown level...it's a whole lot like the City Park (I think that is what it was called) level in TM1. I love speeding around the streets, weaving around buildings, and knocking down the light poles and such.
Aaron

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I use the d-pad and don't touch the analog sticks. Well actually I've been using R3 for turbo cause pushing the gas button twice doesn't always work for me. The accidental energy attacks have always been a problem though (not that it's a BIG problem) when you use the d-pad for gas and steering. In TM2 I used to do the jump sometimes when I didn't want to and it would always be right next to the edge of a building in NY or somewhere like that. I like the way jump is now. Too bad freeze or shields aren't that easy to trigger.
I forgot Yellowjacket was from TM1. I've played TM1 a good amount but most of my TM time has been spent with TM2. I'd actually like to buy TM1 so I have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks