The Digital Bits should have excluded Wonka from their cover scans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertR, Aug 16, 2001.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I saw the cover of the WB (These days, B doesn't stand for "brothers") release on one of the Bits' pages. I don't think they should have included it. Like every other DVD site, TDB should do absolutely NOTHING to promote this butchered version. Prominently displaying it along with GOOD releases from other studios says to me that TDB considers it to be every bit as legitimate as any other release.
    I don't think it is.

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I don't exactly think the cover's going to make people rush out and buy it on a whim (my eyes, my beautiful eyes!), so I think it's not too bad...

3. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

I dunno, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a section devoted to cover art of upcomming titles if they decided only to showcase the titles they liked. Seems to me that by putting a link to the petition on their page they did enough.
    ------------------
    Geoff
    Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Perhaps if the feature was entitled "The Digital Bits All-OAR Cover Art", then I'd agree with you. But even though we are justifiably incensed at the Wonka debacle, Bill Hunt runs a DVD site, not an OAR-exclusive site. As unpleasant as it may seem to many of us (myself included), there are movie fans out there who want this DVD and don't really care what the aspect ratio is. TDB is in business to inform consumers and fans about ALL DVD news and releases, not just the products that appeal most to the digital enthusiasts.
    Although I'd certainly never own a copy of this disc, I think Bill is correct in leaving the cover on his site. Censoring the cover art isn't going to make the problem go away.
    ------------------
    Scott
    Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
    AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

5. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Supporting Actor

Bill's site and all of the other DVD sites are free advertising for the studios. Just by having the cover up there he is helping sell the title. I don't think he should give it the free publicity.
    Kevin C.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

He should have the cover there, but modified with the words "Butchered" across the image. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard