What's new

The Digital Bits - Good Grief (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Actually, all you really need to know about American Football, is that until they get a team in L.A. - you don't need to know anything about American Football. :) That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Glad I made you laugh, Bill. I've enjoyed your rants (and occassional raves) about the Vikings over the years. The Bits is my favorite DVD news site, and the only one I still visit regularly.

Like you, I have no love for the Packers. I miss the old NFC Central, so I enjoy when the Bucs et to play the old division rivals every 3 years. Winning at Lambeau this year was huge.

As for LA, why bother? The NFL makes more money not having a team in LA. Lack of fan interest drove 2 teams out of town, but you never know when Al avis will move the Raiders back.

Now, to get this thread back on track...

I run a website that covers the Arena Football League. We do run an ad free pay membership service, but we only have about 2 dozen people who sign up. Like the Bits, we have the added expense of sending out contest/game prizes. We run pickem games and 2 of the only 3 AFL fantasy football games to be found on the net. We also cover the ArenaBowl every year, which includes traveling cross-country to Las Vegas.

Now, I know that ArenaFan.com doesn't have the membership of HTF or the audience of The Bits, but we have bandwidth expenses, ancillary costs and a little added pocket change to reward our "volunteers" for their efforts. Even with the ads and ad free memberships, at the end of the year, there isn't much left to spread around to our core staff, not even the equivalent of minimum wage.

So, while the ads may occassionally be annoying, those of who run websites don't just want to provide a service, but actually be able to get a little something in return for all the time we spend providing the service, lest our wives leave us. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
To add to this discussion of supporting our favorite sites, I advise anyone who cares about their favorite site to purchase their DVDs through the links available on them. I'd say I buy the vast majority of my DVDs through the links on my favorite pages, including The Digital Bits and TV Shows on DVD. Quite frankly, I feel it is the least we can do.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Here's the funny thing, the ads on TDB don't bother me all that much, it's Bill's personal ramblings that do. Just what does his opinion of "King Kong" have to do with DVD news? Who the hell cares about his rah rah football cheering? I know I don't. His site, fine and dandy but how about putting his personal verbage into a different section so those like myself don't have to scroll through countless paragraphs to get to what we came there for in the first place, namely DVD related news.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael,

While you are entitled to your opinion, your
comments are extremely disturbing and I think
others will agree with me on that.

The Digital Bits is the most renowned DVD
information website on the Internet. The news
that gets posted on that site usually breaks
there first. It's no wonder....Bill has built
an arsenal of loyal industry contacts based upon
the integrity of his site.

But here's the kicker, Michael....

THE DIGITAL BITS represents a part of Bill Hunt
himself. It is his website, and thus, the
opinions that are expressed come from his heart.
Any moron can build a DVD informational website
and throw news up there for all to read. It takes
someone with a little more talent and sincerity
to put together a site like THE BITS.

I think I speak for many who are awfully happy
to log on, get our daily news feed, and read a
few quirps and opinions from Bill on events that
are happening around us. He doesn't say much
everyday -- but what he does say certainly
personalizes his website.

I read his review of KONG this morning, and
quite frankly, it was an enjoyable read. Bill
is a fine writer, and I think his thoughts on
the film were extremely well presented. I bet
the thousands of readers that frequent his site
on a daily basis enjoyed it as much as I did.

And besides.....

Everything on his site is categorized so well
that it's quite impossible not to find the news
you want without getting lost in his so-called
"ramblings."

You mean to tell me that it's that difficult to
skip down a paragraph or two to get past a personal
review that might not interest you?

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Thinking back to my last visit to Digital Bits (Probably not less then a few hours ago) I recall that the diary is in actually a scroll down from the front page, and not at all obstructive.

And hey, I appreciate the diary for how it does personalize the site.

I've been finding a disturbing trend in other video game related sites to constantly move towards cluttering their front pages with over flashy content. IGN is like this, as is gamespot to an even worse degree. (It wasn't as excessive before their last remodelling) These sites are becoming crammed full of flashy colourful links to video content and reviews. Also a new trend is the headline slide show which seemed to first appear on mlb.com and on the sites for the 30 MLB teams, where you only get a small blurb for each story, which is then changed to the next slide after a few seconds. I really find this exessive.

Somehow, I feel that what is the biggest new story is being dictated to me by these sites. With the bits, I can get a good idea from Bill what is important today, and why it is important without having to choose between a half dozen glitzy options. We get the personal touch, rather then the effect of countless faceless journalists competing for attention. I hope this makes sense and that I don't sound like some old fogey. (Is 21 getting on?)

I don't outright hate the other format, but to me it's the difference between the countless Blockbuster employees I can never remember (except for the forced 'hi' they are required to shoot to me everytime I walk in), and the mom & pop DVD place where the people know me by name and to whom I can actually discuss DVDs and movies personally.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
The Digital Bits and the Home Theater Forum are the best two DVD sites on the Internet (IMO) and I don't give a rats ass what the owners have to do to keep these sites running.

I click on adverts all the time to do my bit to help websites out.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

That'd be one thing if it was once or twice a year. It's not. He's pretty consistent about mixing this stuff together.

I understand you're friends and that you're just defending him here which is admirable but you should know that not everyone digs what he does (or at least how he does it.) TDB would be better without all the clutter. If one wishes to go on about vacations or a great football game, well, that's what blogs are for.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
But, Michael, it's all of a piece. Bill's personal items are the "spices" that give TDB it's "flavor". The 'net is so big, there's something for everyone. I'm sure there are lots of DVD related sites that are just dry recitations of statistics, links to reviews, etc. IMDB comes to mind.

But Bill's site is what it is. Another choice for us enthusiasts.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jeff, I just don't see how or why "The Vikings are playing this Sunday yadda yadda" gives you any insight into the world of DVD, home theater or anything related. Color me confused.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Maybe because it gives us insight into where Bill is coming from when he talks about DVDs. Is he an industry insider, snorting coke with Nick and Jessica? Is he a geek? Is he a regular guy?

I agree maybe his site isn't for everyone, that's the beauty part. Take what you want from his site, get more from other sites, mix and enjoy. It's his site, he gets to set the tone.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Ok, I think we've established it's his site. I don't see how that means a person can't have an opinion on it. Universal Studios owns the new "King Kong" flick, that doesn't mean I can say it sucks, right?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Why don't you just not read his site? If there's not enough great content there to make it worth reading the stuff you don't like - don't visit it.

Frankly, you come off as vindictive. As you yourself have said, it's his site, and he's not going to change it, so what good does it do to come here and beef about it. Either admit that despite things you don't like, it's still worth your time, or decide otherwise, and just stop visiting it and complaining about it.

Heck, I tend to tune out a lot of what he says (especially the Vikings stuff), but I still find the site well worth it. And once he becomes a USC fan, then his football takes will actually make the site better. :)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Please notice I did not start this thread. Someone gave their opinion regarding TDB so I figured that was an appropriate thread to put mine in. I did not start one of my own, I didn't see this one and make a separate one to say "Hey, look at me!" either. Saying I don't think personal opinions/stories having nothing to do with your site's focus is not "vindictive" in any way, shape or form. Call me crazy but why come here and talk about it?? This is a discussion forum, I saw a thread dealing with a topic I wanted to talk about and I did. Why exactly does that bother you? Isn't that what this site is for? I don't get the hyper sensitivity some of you are showing.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor

Obviously not, but if you established via comments about your interests that you, for example, were a single guy, living in an apartment; concerned about soundproofing your place so you could let the movies rock - we would have a feel about where you were coming from when you commented on a bass-heavy soundtrack.

At the end of the day, we're all just plain folks talking about our mutual interests in the ways we know how. If you're best at doing that in a dry, clinical manner - great. If you need to put forth some of your real life - that's fine, too.

I'm not trying to change your opinion of Bill's site, I guess I get defensive (even though I've never met Bill and don't even follow football) because he's putting his work out there, including his heart and soul, and I appreciate it.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Well that I could understand....that's related to one's proper enjoyment of HT. I can dig that. DVDs, technology related to it. It fits. The Vikings on the other hand...well.

Eh, I think I've made my point by now. Night folks.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Michael,

You're cracking me up too, man. I think you need to chill a little. If you don't like The Bits, don't read it. It's really that simple. It's no skin off my nose, or anyone else's. In the meantime, it's my site, so I'm going to speak my mind about a whole variety of subjects, mostly DVD or film related but not always. The only thing you have to do is read it or not.

Best either way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks