What's new

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Harry-N said:
Santa Claus spotted the low price on Amazon and couldn't resist the upgrade of this series from DVD to Blu-ray, so pretty soon, I'll be basking in the Blu-ray glory of probably my favorite sixties comedy series.

I watched the series regularly from the start when it premiered on CBS and never missed an episode. The whole family just loved this series and it was surely the first "must-see" television in our household.

Even viewing the color pictures above just feels "wrong". The series shines in black & white and needs no color distractions to take away from its perfectness. I'm thankful that there has, to my knowledge, never been a movement or even mention of colorizing this series - and thank the Lord for that!

Looking forward to viewing this one, for sure.

Harry
Harry,

I took the plunge and upgraded my set when I saw that price at Amazon, too. I was able to sell the DVD set for $36, so $14 to upgrade to BD was a no-brainer.

I remember watching the show during its original run, too, and also watching it over and over in early syndication. Mary Tyler Moore playing Laura Petrie was probably my first crush as a young boy, and I loved the show. I've only had time to watch the first episode on BD so far, but it does look wonderful. Enjoy your Christmas present.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Russell G said:
Now at $220, must of been a mistake.
Whether it was a mistake or not I ordered it less than 24 hours ago and I'm in the UK.
It was £16 with just over £9 P&P . Tracking shows its already at East Midlands airport so a DHL delivery will be here tomorrow. They've never shipped that fast before with regular priced items so I'm surprised at the speed.
Bargain of the year surely ?

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
So glad I bought this box set several months ago. I'm too busy with work and family to get through sets as quickly as some of you. Almost finished with season 2. But still, what a great TV show. I loved watching it as a kid, yet I remember only a handful of episodes. So it's like a brand new series to me.
The show really advanced the modern sitcom miles ahead of where they were. And the cast....wow....funny, funny people. Perfectly cast. Any classic TV show lover should pick this up without reservation.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just bit the bullet and ordered from Amazon at $54 .. a pretty good price I guess. Now I just have to wait till it gets to Australia .. and explain to my wife why I found it a necessary purchase!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
My $28 set from Amazon Canada arrived yesterday as predicted . What a bargain . This will take me a long time to get through

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I saw the Blu-ray set on sale at Amazon recently and decided to take the plunge. I bought the DVDs years ago, but the price to upgrade was just too tempting.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I always wished that shows like this one had some removable set pieces, so we can could see something like Rob and Laura's living room from the opposite wall once in a while.

Of course, being curious about something that doesn't even exist, doesn't make much sense.

lol

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Another one:

LivingRoomSet.jpg

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Well, we've finally gotten around to start watching THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW in earnest. As it was a Christmas present, of course, it needed for me to check out an episode or two, an extra or two, etc., but as we typically watch a sitcom episode just before retiring for the night (a good way to go to sleep with a smile on your face), and we had been finishing up a run through HOME IMPROVEMENT, last week began our run through the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.

I've seen the series many times in my life - watching it as it premiered on CBS back in 1961 and sticking with it through its amazing five-year run, then watching it as often as I could as "THE DICK VAN DYKE DAYTIME SHOW" in CBS morning reruns. Then it hit the syndication circuits with more runs, and then on cable occasionally.

In 2003, the first two seasons were released on DVD with those nifty lenticular covers. Each of those seasons had a MSRP of $69.99, and I remember spotting them in the many racks at Best Buy (remember when Best Buy had many racks for DVDs!) for around $50 a piece, and coerced my very same Santa Claus to bring them to me.

2004 saw the release of the final three seasons, but I didn't keep up with them. The $50-$70 price tag seemed a bit too steep, so I had to put them off. It wasn't until sometime in 2008 that I managed to complete my ownership of the five season sets. And even after upgrading my equipment to Blu-ray, I never thought that upgrading THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW was a necessary thing. The DVDs were manufactured and mastered so well, that it just wasn't a priority.

Then this fabulous price came up and it was an instant grab (courtesy of aforementioned Ms. Claus!), and now were finally watching it.

Something that has always been a bit of a puzzle to me is the theme music and the way it was used on the series. In seasons two through five, we get a straight play-through of the Earle Hagen theme as Rob comes in the house and trips - or doesn't - over the ottoman. But in the first season, we get the montage of photos while a drum-infused, jazzier version of the theme plays.

In most TV series, an early-season version of a theme will be somewhat straighforward, with a jazzier alternate version made for later seasons. An example of this would be the Patrick Williams-composed theme to THE BOB NEWHART SHOW. The first couple of seasons had a gentler, straightforward rendering of the "Bob and Emily" theme, and later on, it got jazzed-up.

I just find it odd that the first season of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW would have the jazzier version of the theme, while the latter seasons had the toned-down, straightforward approach.

Harry

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Harry, I watch a classic sitcom episode before bed here much the way you do - we're currently alternating between I Love Lucy seasons and Dick Van Dyke. Only watched the first season of Dick Van Dyke on Blu so far but I'm blown away by the quality - and can't believe I got the set for something insanely low like $50. It's been well worth every penny and then some.

I had completely forgotten that the first season had that different opening!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
How sharp and clear is THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW on Blu-ray? Throughout the opening 15 episodes or so, I've been able to detect that the television in Rob, Buddy, and Sally's office, though turned off, was left on channel 2 for the first few episodes, and has now moved to channel 4.

While I cannot read the actual numbers on the dial, I CAN detect the position of the knob, and having worked enough of those type of TVs in my life, I can tell by the positioning!

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks