What's new

The Dick Tracy Cartoon Show (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know who holds license over this 1960 series w/ such prominent vocal talents as Mel Blanc, Paul Frees & June Forray?

I believe it was produced by UPA, would Columbia own the rights?

What are the chances of ever seeing this remastered and released to DVD in the near future?

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
I have no idea, but I have to jump in and say that the opening credits sequence for this series is one of the best of any series ever, cartoon, live action, anything. Or maybe that's just the way I'm remembering it :)
Also gotta love a character named "Joe Jitsu" --- or is this now politically incorrect ???

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I know that Henry Saperstein, who owned the company, passed away a few years ago and they were selling off their properties. Don't know who bought this show tho. I do remember when it was re-syndicated in the early 90s to cash in on the movie stations received complaints and they yanked the Joe Jitsu and Go Go Gomez cartoons.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
"I do remember when it was re-syndicated in the early 90s to cash in on the movie stations received complaints and they yanked the Joe Jitsu and Go Go Gomez cartoons."
Apparently Heap O'Calorie doesn't offend fat irish cops! :) I'd buy the complete set of this classic cartoon in an instant if it were ever to come out on DVD. I know a Japanese laserdisc set exists which was beautifully mastered from the original 35mm souce material. Unfortunately it has Japanese subtitles, instead of using both tracks to include the Japanese and English original. I always find it funny that in the U.S. political correctness forced them to shut down the Joe Jitsu episodes, yet in Japan they liked him so much that they released the entire show on LD!

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Was it the whole series? There were 130 cartoons running 5 minutes each so that would be about 11 hours worth of cartoons. Hey, that would make a nice box set over here, wouldn't it?

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
MarcoBiscotti said:
Does anyone know who holds license over this 1960 series w/ such prominent vocal talents as Mel Blanc, Paul Frees & June Forray?
I believe it was produced by UPA, would Columbia own the rights?
What are the chances of ever seeing this remastered and released to DVD in the near future?
A company called Classic Media now owns the rights to the series, along with other classic cartoons like Mr. Magoo, Rocky & Bullwinkle, etc. and live-action classics like The Lone Ranger and Lassie.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I bought a 96-cent cheapie DVD at Walmart titled The Best Of Dick Tracy, Vol. 1, from Genius Entertainment and Classic Media, and released by TGG. They had a bunch of cheapie DVDs they put out for the holiday shopping season.

chileboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark C. Walton
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread - or cares anymore! - but I stumbled across it while Googling some things about my personal collection.

I own the Japanese laserdisc of this - the only copy I've ever seen, that I got on eBay a long time ago - and yes, I can confirm it has all 130 episodes. As someone mentioned, yes, the Japanese subtitles are in the picture which is a bit annoying, but it's a unique experience watching these old cartoons and reflecting on how times - and animation - have changed.

You can see the entry in the Laserdisc database that I largely composed myself years ago. There's a cover scan of my copy, plus I listed every episode with a link to the corresponding IMDB entry for each.

The Dick Tracy on LDDB

- Mark

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Classic Media did release a complete set of the Dick Tracy cartoons in 2006. It's pricey now anywhere from $79 to $282 (!) on Amazon now.

Attachments

• DT.jpg
    DT.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 92

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This show is stupid and painfully racist. UPA is better off being remembered for other things rather than it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I remember the show and have the DVD set. The “racist” humor is the type of stuff we all laughed at 60 years ago when the show first aired. We had thicker skins then!
As an Italian American , I laughed at Joe Kirk’s portrayal of Mr. Bacciagalupe on the Abbott and Costello Show back then never offended- I still find it funny.
Different times.
Marco Biscotti, send me a PM , I have an extra set.

chileboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark C. Walton
This show is stupid and painfully racist. UPA is better off being remembered for other things rather than it.
I'm honestly (full disclosure) about as liberal as they come, but I just can't get behind ceasing publication of anything even remotely stereotypical. I mean, get it, but they're cartoons - from many decades ago. I'm half Middle-Eastern, and I was honestly kinda annoyed when Disney changed the opening song in Aladdin to remove the Arab stereotypes (something about them being thieves air). I didn't take offense - it was meant to be humorous, and that was the way I took it tbh.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'm honestly (full disclosure) about as liberal as they come, but I just can't get behind ceasing publication of anything even remotely stereotypical. I mean, get it, but they're cartoons - from many decades ago. I'm half Middle-Eastern, and I was honestly kinda annoyed when Disney changed the opening song in Aladdin to remove the Arab stereotypes (something about them being thieves air). I didn't take offense - it was meant to be humorous, and that was the way I took it tbh.
The world needs more people like you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks