What's new

The Devils (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The execs at Warner Brothers have always had an irrational fear of Ken Russell. Somebody over there is a big sissy. They're terrified of him.
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
Ken Russell seems to be out if it and after his latest display at the Motion Picture Academy, I doubt he would be involved in any business matter what so ever.
What did he do this time?
If and when the film is released on DVD/Blu-ray a word of advice: [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Buy it immediately [/COLOR]before someone at WB finds out they released the un-censored version and a recall is put into effect (as with Little Shop of Horrors)
Sounds like good advice.
Now if only Warner Brothers would take another look at the longer "preview cut" of ALTERED STATES (1980) which I saw in San Diego and release that in a special edition. It was more coherent and fleshed out, infinitely more outrageous, and a better stronger film than the shorter version they released theatrically. There is no reason to keep sitting on the inoffensive THE BOY FRIEND, either.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Blu Ray set packaged together... THE DEVILS/SONG OF THE SOUTH. Now who wouldn't like that under the X-mas tree this year? /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif Opps. I put X-mas. I meant Christmas! I meant Christmas!!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif I ruined the whole thing... I just know it!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Radioman970
Blu Ray set packaged together... THE DEVILS/SONG OF THE SOUTH. Now who wouldn't like that under the X-mas tree this year? /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif Opps. I put X-mas. I meant Christmas! I meant Christmas!!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif I ruined the whole thing... I just know it!
I thought Christmas was the offensive one and X-Mas was alright? All this political correctness has me confused... best not release the Devils eh? :P

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
So, the "big wig" doesn't want it released yet some smaller guy went behind his back and put it on iTunes for a couple days? Wouldn't big wig fire small guy for doing this?

Seems like nonsense to me. No one knows the real reason but I personally don't buy into all the conspiracy theories because they are pretty much the same theories people gave on my Warner was too scared to release CRUISIN'.

It could be that the title just won't sell (face it, not many people know it). It could be that the iTunes thing was just to see how much interest there was in it. It could also be that Russell is just being as ass, which has prevented a few of his other films from getting a decent release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott It could be that the title just won't sell (face it, not many people know it). It could be that the iTunes thing was just to see how much interest there was in it. It could also be that Russell is just being as ass, which has prevented a few of his other films from getting a decent release.
I think it's a combo of "wont sell/Russell is an ass" but hope there is a huge bit of "we know people want this title and Russell's films, how is the best way to present this?" and that's holding it up.
Again, if this shows up as a Warner Archives release, I'm never buying a Warner Home Video product again.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G
I think it's a combo of "wont sell/Russell is an ass" but hope there is a huge bit of "we know people want this title and Russell's films, how is the best way to present this?" and that's holding it up.
Again, if this shows up as a Warner Archives release, I'm never buying a Warner Home Video product again.
I read this initially as, "we know people want this title and Russell's films, how is the best way to prevent this?" and I think that's probably closer to the mark. Warner is indeed scared silly of Russell as too controversial, or something. Maybe he owes somebody money. But it's kind of ridiculous how terrified they are of his movies.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Mark,

I don't think that's the case. Warner has released Russell films in the past both on VHS and Laserdisc. I do know certain Russell films will not sell (The Boy Friend) which is too bad since they are very good, but this particular film (The Devils) has been trying to come out of WB for years now, and it almost gets released each time, so it is an internal WB problem.

SONY is releasing "Tommy" on blu-ray

MGM/UA owns the rights to "The Music Lovers & Women in Love

Warner has released "The Devils", "The Boy Friend", "Liztomania" and "Altered States" in the past.

The contraversal aspect doesn't seem to hold true

popoketel

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Kaye
There is a good DVD release of Lisztomania, on region 2, and I have it and it has a great Ken Russell commentary. I can shed some light on why the DVD release got cancelled the last time. There was a change of power, or a merger and after that happened, they cleared most of the release schedule of older films that weren't "classics" and The Devils was put on the proverbial back burner. It's not so much censorship due to controversey, but censorship due to disinterest. They didn't think it would sell, but now after putting in all the work to remaster it, the uncut version has been remastered with the "rape of christ" and the "charred bone" sequences intact, and Russell recorded a commentary, so they are gonna have to release it to hopefully recoup the money they've already spent on it. They were hoping to whip up interest in it by some theater showings, and it's been hinted that the "leak" on itunes was intentional to get some kind of reading on how much interest there might be. Short version is, probably a special edition package will come out in region 1 and 2 sometime around this christmas.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Leaking it to Itunes has generated a lot of comments/interest on Home Video sites, but not sure about the rest of the consumer population

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sounds like BS to me. Warner's usually has polls for this type of thing. At least they have in the past. Leaking it onto iTunes for a few days to gauge interest sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
No offense but I question how much interest "the consumer population" has in THE DEVILS or any unreleased Russell title. They weren't huge boxoffice 40 years ago.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
That's what I mean, I doubt the consumer population (Walmart, best buy etc) has ever heard about a Ken Russell film let alone seen one or want to buy one. ("Tommy" being the exception)

So I doubt they are trying to generate interest.

Warners does feel Ken Russell's films will not sell big, and they are right, (though "the Devils" might become more of a cult favorite if it is released) I keep feeling someone at WB wants to release this but someone else there doesn't and they are butting heads.

I was told "The Boy Friend" wasn't being released because it wont sell - and they are right - it will only sell a limited number - though it also is a very good film (the long version) and it should be available along with "The Devils" maybe a deal could/should be made with Criterion to do a Ken Russell series

popoketel

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Kaye
No studio really considers those online polls in any serious way when considering a DVD release. Those are there mainly for apperances and as a distraction, it makes it seem like they listen to customer suggestions.

As to Criterion, they have wanted to do a Ken Russell release. They even tried to licence The Devils, but Warners refused at the time. Criterion has recently struck a deal with Warners for some titles, and there are rumors that The Devils is now a possibility for criterion, and that would be a good deal for Warners and Criterion.

I would argue that actually a couple of Ken Russell titles are actually decent commercial prospects. I've seen Altered States in most stores and rental places, and The Lair of The White Worm has a cult following, it was a popular rental item in the VHS days, as was Gothic. Problem is those are all on DVD, and the important Russell works, Devils,The Boyfriend, Savage Messiah( best film he ever made), and Mahler, are not on DVD or, in the case of Mahler, only on OOP, bare-bones, and poorly mastered releases. They did do that "At The BBC" set some time ago, and Listomania was released last year, and it the Devils will most likely be released at the end of this year, so there is hope. I do fear that The Boyfriend will not ever be remastered and released on DVD, as it's one of his least popoular films, and won't sell. Same goes for Savage Messiah. Maybe Criterion will do a Ken Russell bio-pics box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks