What's new

The Deputy - Complete (1 Viewer)

Executive

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Margulis
So how is the film quality of these Deputy prints? Remastered as they were in the early 2000s or not?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I checked out the first disc. The episodes run about 25 min 40sec . Some a little more some a little less .

As far as the series itself . I am not familiar with it at all . I saw one episode on TVLand many years ago . So i have no knowledge at all on the content .

I don't see anywhere on the package saying it's been remastered . It doesn't look it .

the episodes i checked look ok . Kinda in line with how the wagon Train episodes looked . Not the bad ones. Not as sharp as say Paramount's Gunsmoke .

Looks ok to me . Not great, but good . Dark scenes are a little murky . Audio sounds ok .

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I know i won't get a chance to watch this series for a week or two . So i have been just running through the episodes to make sure my discs are ok . Just a precaution so i don't get stuck down the line with a defective set .

On disc 8 ep Sally Tornado the episode ends after the last scene . No credits . So far the only episode like that in the set . I was wondering if anyone else has found this problem ? If so is it going to be fixed or is this the best they could come up with for this episode ?

I have Timeless e mail somewhere from an issue they had with Laramie . So when i find it i'll e mail them .

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
GritTV begins a run of "The Deputy" today. They are showing four episodes, per day, Monday Thru Friday. 4 PM to 6 PM, Eastern Time.

Passed on the old DVD set. I was aware of the show back in 1959-61, but I don't have any memory of actually watching it or liking it. Haven't noticed if it has been shown on TV, recently. Has it been remastered? Amazon shows a re-release of the DVD set, in Sept. 2020. Anyone have the newer release?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
GritTV begins a run of "The Deputy" today. They are showing four episodes, per day, Monday Thru Friday. 4 PM to 6 PM, Eastern Time.

Passed on the old DVD set. I was aware of the show back in 1959-61, but I don't have any memory of actually watching it or liking it. Haven't noticed if it has been shown on TV, recently. Has it been remastered? Amazon shows a re-release of the DVD set, in Sept. 2020. Anyone have the newer release?
Thanks for the heads-up Bob. Last time this aired was on COZI-TV and it was the same horrible prints from the Timeless Media-Shout!Factory release. One would think if it was remastered the 2020 listing would stay so? The image quality is poor but the audio is even poorer.

It will be very interesting to see what pops up later today on GritTV.

4:00 PM – The Deputy S1 - "Badge For A Day" TV-PG V​

Marshal Simon Fry uses Clay McCord to capture a gang of thieves.
Stars: Henry Fonda, Allen Case, Wallace Ford, Betty Lou Keim
Release Year: 1959

4:30 PM – The Deputy S1 - "The Wild Wind" TV-PG V​

Clay tries to rescue three young men from a gang of rustlers.

5:00 PM – The Deputy S1 - "Back To Glory" TV-PG V​

Fry searches for a murderer who's abducted an actress, while Clay and Herk track down an escaped prisoner who molested another woman.

5:30 PM – The Deputy S1 - "Shadow Of The Noose" TV-PG V​

Fry is confronted by a lynch mob after he arrests a drifter for murdering a farmer and his wife.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Katz is actually a division of Scripps media, "Give light and the people will find their own way" is their slogan and they have that lighthouse in their logo.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
BTW, has anybody noticed edited for time episodes of those classic westerns on Grit, with the closing credits shrunk down to the lower left part of the screen. Wells Fargo and Death Valley Days are like that, I imagine Laramie and others are the same too!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The shrunken credits make these shows, not worth recording and keeping. But I'll watch and erase them. It was nice to see the complete run of "Tales of Wells Fargo".

I would guess that they might be time sped. I never timed say a Grit "Laramie" vs the DVD release.

GritTV has taken "The Virginian" off the M-F schedule. They showed seasons 1-8 in a two-hour slot, so they were not edited. They show S-9 "The Men from Shiloh" in a 90-minute slot. S-9 was not remastered, so these are cut, or time sped. I missed the end of one S-9 episode because they did show it in a two-hour slot. That episode must have been the only S-9 episode remastered. I remember thinking it looked better than the previous S-9s, as I watched it.

The other thing that happens with some of the westerns on the over the air channels is the muting of words like, "savages". I wonder if there is a list of the words, they mute and what entity does the muting. The station, the network, the syndicator/studio?

So far, "The Deputy" looks good enough for me to continue watching.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
When Sony's Get TV aired The Restless Gun, The Tall Man, and Whispering Smith, the they were similar in quality as The Deputy on Grit, un remastered!
I agree with your assessment. The only series they air which have been remastered are those they inherited that way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks