What's new

"The Deep End"ing Discussion *Spoilers* (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought The Deep End was a great film and certainly one of the years best so far.
My interpretation of the film has changed since I have seen it and I wonder if anyone shares my feelings on it.
Initialy I thought of it mainly as a taught little suspense thriller with a great story and wonderful performances.
I still believe that, however I now believe the film to be more of a love story between Margaret (Tilda Swinton) and Alek (Goran Visnjic),a love that can never be fulfilled due to the extraordinary circumstances that they both find themselves in. The Murder/Blackmail aspect of the film is secondary IMO to Margaret and Alecs relationship.
The "transformation" scene, where Alek changes from a ruthless blackmailer into a caring conscience ridden soul, helping Margaret to save her father as he is dying on the floor, was the turning point in the film for me, as I wasn't expecting the film to take that turn. From that moment on, I loved it. Slowly you coud see how Alek began caring for Margaret, I believe falling in love with her for being so strong in the face of so much danger.
The ending of the film leaves many questions unanswered. Did Alek really lose control of the car or was it a deliberate act. Does Margaret get arrested for murder? Is her sons homosexuality revealed? Who knows?
But IMO, the only issue resolved is the relationship between Alek and Margaret. The scene at the end in the overturned car, where their lips are almost touching (kissing?) was one of the best film moments I have seen in quite a while. There was no doubt in my mind, that at that moment, Margaret loved Alek too, if only for a short time.
All in all, I thought The Deep End was one of the best unconventional love stories I have ever seen.
Thoughts? :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
[Edited last by Tino on August 31, 2001 at 08:00 PM]

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I certainly felt the filmmakers intended to make the love story quality important in the film, how well they executed it I am unsure of. The obvious turning point of Alek helping Margaret saving her father in law was just that, too obvious. After they leave for the hospital, we even see Alek wandering around the house and seeing family pictures of Margaret. For what it's worth, I felt this was way too easy an explanation; can a person who does blackmail really be affected so easily? If so, then really, he doesn't belong in doing this at all since he would never succeed.
Does Margaret love Alek? I view it more as Margaret emotionally dependent on Alek during a time of crisis in addition to the constant absence of her husband than romantic love. That being said, the tension between Margaret and Alek in the scene of car crash is excellent.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
quote: I certainly felt the filmmakers intended to make the love story quality important in the film, how well they executed it I am unsure of. The obvious turning point of Alek helping Margaret saving her father in law was just that, too obvious. After they leave for the hospital, we even see Alek wandering around the house and seeing family pictures of Margaret. For what it's worth, I felt this was way too easy an explanation; can a person who does blackmail really be affected so easily? If so, then really, he doesn't belong in doing this at all since he would never succeed. [/quote]
I believe that was the point. Blackmailing was not a full time career for Alek. This was just one opportunity for him. And even if it wasn't, it made his transformation all the more believable as he finally meets a victim that is truly human and caring.
The scene where he wanders around the house was necessary as the audience was not provided enough background about his character to actually believe the change that is about to come in his character. That scene was enough for me to establish and believe that such a transformation was possible.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on September 01, 2001 at 09:19 AM]

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so what do you think Alek was going to say at the end. He started "I'm not..... then died. I'm guessing "I'm not going to make it".

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I guess my opinion is a mix of Kirk's & Tino's...
I did feel that the film did a credible job of establishing the motivation for Alek's transformation, but I'm not sure that Margaret loved him. Like Kirk, I tend to believe that it was more of an emotional dependance that given time could have blossomed into love. While there is nothing to substantiate it, my impression was that Alek did not have any family. My feeling was that this factor, along with Margaret's underlying decency ( despite her actions ) and the trial of attempting to cope with the circumstances of the blackmail were the catalysts that triggered Alek's empathy.
I mention the absence of family in Alek's background because the film primarily deals with the familial relationships of the Hall household. It is an important theme that ( at least for me ) carries over into Alek's involvement with Margaret. Or perhaps I'm projecting my own absence of family onto Alek. :)
The scene at the car, with the kiss that isn't a kiss, is a great shot and is one of the more memorable screen images that I've viewed in quite some time. As I posted in the review thread, that shot wonderfully sums up the relationship in a single moment of the film. I suspect that as I remember this title in future years, that will be the first image from the film that my mind will recall.
- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Walter
Your explanation of Alek having no family somewhat motivating his "transformation" is a reasonable assumption IMO. It certainly adds more of a backstory into his character and his actions. :)
As for Margaret "loving" Alec, I meant that at that moment, she felt a "love" for him, since he basically sacrificed himself for her.
As for what his last words might have been, I like that he never finished his sentence. More for us to ponder. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The scene at the end in the overturned car, where their lips are almost touching (kissing?) was one of the best film moments I have seen in quite a while.
Really?!!
While I liked this movie, especially because of all that is unsaid, that scene is one of the most cringe inducing ones I have seen in a long time! It was just too obviously... staged. I am sure how to express this, but the whole thing seemed like an obvious "device", which contrasts with the subtility (sp?) of this movie.
Heck, I almost would have prefered the stare, the tears running down the cheek , the swelling music, and the inevitable "I love you", if you are going to be that heavy handed.
I also have a problem with the extent of Alek's involvement. While I find his transformation quite believable, the magnitude of it seems silly to me. It is one thing to want to forget about your share of the money. It is quite another to commit MURDER for the well being of a woman and family you just met, even given the circumstances. And how about the accident? They never said he did it on purpose, but it is at least a very legitimate question that they want you to ponder. And that is also what I have a problem with. That level of self sacrifice just doesn't make sense to me. People with that much to give to others do not end up being small time crooks.
But I still enjoyed the movie, tho i probably won't own it.
Anyone else feels that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks