What's new

THE DAVID LEAN COLLECTION (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
DVDBeaver mentioned last year that MGM would be bringing out (FINALLY??????!!!!!) the David Lean Collection (THIS HAPPY BREED, MADELINE, GREAT EXPECTATIONS, THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS, IN WHICH WE SERVE, OLIVER TWIST, BRIEF ENCOUNTER, BLITHE SPIRIT). Is their any word that if and when this will be re-activated? It would be worth the wait if they threw in BREAKING THE SOUND BARRIER and HOBSON'S CHOICE.

IanUngstad

Grip

So is Great Expectations and Oliver Twist. They are Janus titles, so I have no idea why anyone would think MGM would have them.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some of you might already know that the BFI and Granada have just restored 10 of Lean's films in time for centenary celebrations this year (with events both sides of the Atlantic including theatrical screenings); ITV DVD will release new David Lean Centenary box set in the U.K. later this year.

Anyone interested can see more details in my blog entry here.

Charles H

Screenwriter
SOUND BARRIER is part of some war films being released on 5/27. The others are KING AND COUNTRY, ANGELS ONE FIVE, and THE CAPTIVE HEART, according to The Digital Bits.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
MGM seems to have the U.S. DVD rights to Great Expectations. Is it possible they are licencing it to Criterion?

Doug

IanUngstad

Grip
Where did you get the info that MGM has the rights to Great Expectations? It's a Granada film...I have never heard of MGM licensing from Granada or why they would even want to.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't believe that Granada distributes its own stuff on home video in the U.S. They do have a television distribution arm in the U.S., but most of The Granada stuff that I have seen has been distributed in the U.S. by MPI Home Video.

It may very well be that MGM has U.S. home video distribution rights to Great Expectations.

Doug

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

IMDb is wrong. Someone probably put added that info about MGM being the DVD distributor after they announced Great Expectations several years ago.

I clarified the rights situation earlier in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks