What's new

The Dark Tower (August 4, 2017) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The article describes the 2017 film as "the first installment in the adaptation of Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” franchise." Sounds like they have a plan for multiple films in place, but I'm sure they'll end the first in a way that leaves their options to continue or not very much open and dependent on the box office performance of #1.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I remember talk of plans to do three films with two seasons of TV in between each film, which I think is weird. I wonder if that is still their intention?

A January release date has me a bit concerned. We are certainly seeing more quality films being released in less traditional months lately, but still, January?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Sean Bryan said:
I remember talk of plans to do three films with two seasons of TV in between each film, which I think is weird. I wonder if that is still their intention?

A January release date has me a bit concerned. We are certainly seeing more quality films being released in less traditional months lately, but still, January?
Yes that's still the plan. I'll believe it when there are actual pictures from the set of the movie.

But Ka is a wheel and the Dark Tower's turn will come eventually. Have to keep feeding the Hollywood Content Monster.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
Similar to what I said about Deadpool in the FF thread yesterday, I think it's a case of Hollywood logic where they feel that since American Sniper opened wide and made a bajillion dollars in the third week of January, the same will happen will for every movie that opens then.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Bleh, if it ain't shot in the Spanish desert in 2-perf Techniscope with an all 70's prog/80's new wave soundtrack I ain't buyin.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Elba is really hitting his stride the past couple of years. He killed it as Shere Kahn in the Jungle Book, his Netflix flick - Beasts of No Nation - was excellent and now he is radiating BADASSERY as Roland in The Dark Tower.

Cell phone aside, the man is a Gunslinger!

Elba as Roland pics.

Some samples:

343B5D7900000578-3592955-image-m-2_1463406779182.jpg

343B5DA100000578-3592955-image-a-18_1463408994988.jpg

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, it is interesting that this looks like it will be a sequel to the novels rather than an adaptation of those novels.

I feel better about this project now, because what I've seen and heard so far seems pretty far from a faithful adaptation of the books.

Making this film (or films) the next, and potentially last time around is an interesting way to go.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
EW is giving The Dark Tower their coveted Comic Con cover spot:

00029399403300zz-ew1423.jpg

Issue is out this Friday and includes a set visit report as well as a Stephen King interview:

Here’s what you’ll find inside:

• Exclusive photos, showing the vast plains of Mid-World, the shadowy Dixie Pig hideaway of the demons who infest our world, and the visions of a boy named Jake Chambers (Tom Holloway) who is either the key to saving the mythic Tower or the instrument of its destruction.
  • Revelations from director Nikolaj Arcel (the Oscar-nominated A Royal Affair, and one of King’s lifelong Constant Readers) about where the story picks up, which elements from the novels are being explored – and which are being left out.
  • Elba on the redemption story of Roland, who has “forgotten the face of his father” (or lost his way) in his relentless pursuit of the Man in Black. The actor also comments for the first time about race-swapping the Gunslinger, who until now has always been depicted as white.
  • McConaughey on the loneliness of evil, the reasons his villain “reveres” the hero chasing him, and why The Man in Black has taken a real shine to present-day New York City.
  • Finally, as an extra treat, King himself weighs in on the film, explains what he asked to change in the script, and provides new insight into how the Tower saga connects to some of his other books, like The Shining, The Stand, and one long-ago short story.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
McConaughey visiting the Dixie Pig and all the Taheen - DT Tower baddies - bowing in deference to the Man In Black.

Dark-Tower-EW-Dixie-Pig_1200_800_81_s.jpg

Full McConaughey interview over at EW

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Also, any word on Oy? I didnt expect Jake to make the first movie...

The third article that went up today on EW says that Susannah, Eddie and Oy aren't in the first movie, but would be in a second movie if one is greenlit.

Jake makes sense to me, before the other two. He appears in "The Gunslinger" book ahead of the other ka-tet characters. Even though it seems they're not doing a straight adaptation of one particular book, it makes sense that we'd be introduced to him before the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks