What's new

The Dark Knight sequel discussion thread (casting, villians, etc) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, Mr. Freeze may be too far out on the spectrum to be used without it looking silly, but characters like The Penguin and Catwoman seem doable to me. The Penguin is generally portrayed as being impeccably dressed in a tuxedo-like costume. I do not see how that could not be made to work in Nolan's universe. The Penguin's personality is over-the-top in the comics, but so is The Joker. If Nolan was able to create a more "realistic" portrayal of The Joker, then I do not see any insurmountable problem in toning down either The Penguin or Catwoman, while still retaining the costumes.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I guess they could do the angle of her being someone who fights against inequality and is adept at things defrauding banks and other commercial institutions. Maybe she's a computer hacker, rather than being the traditional "jewel theif" thing.

She tries to rally against the mob and corrupt Gotham corporations that control the majority of the wealth in the city. This of course would also put her at odds with Wayne Enterprises.

That I could see as being a different type of spin on the character, maybe she's an anti-capitalist in a way, .... her methods are extreme compared to Batman.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I must say, Jessica Biel did look pretty cute in the Catwoman outfit in that "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" movie by Adam Sandler and Kevin James.

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
I think the next villain should be Man-Bat.

It would be great if the Mayor of Gotham became Man-Bat because the actor playing him in "Dark Knight" is Nestor Carbonell.

Who did he play in the live action version of "The Tick"

Batmanuel

Batman vs Batmanuel

Classic

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Those are good looking girls but seeing those pics just reinforces to me that this would be a terrible idea.

The character would just become a walking sex joke and cheapen the overall feel of the films. The whole cheap domantrix plastic leather thing ... ugh. Nolan's Batman would slap her upside the head and knock her out in 5 seconds if she tried to get in his way.

My choices from another thread (a little more low key):

For Talia:

Katrina Kaif, Bollywood actress. 1st language is English so the language issue isn't one.

Rachel Weisz as Talia:

If they *have* to go the Selina Kyle/Catwoman route then I suggest Minka Kelly:

Of the above, I think Christopher Nolan has said before he'd like to work with Rachel Weisz, so I think should could be high on the list.

And she's a better actress anyway than Jolie, Biel, or Scarlett.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Johnny Depp has turned into a bore.
All his performances are the same -- cute.
He tries to be cute all the time.
Cute all the time = boring.
Being cute is easy, lazy, and he gets away with it because nobody demands anything more from him.

The last film I liked Depp in was The Ninth Gate. Polanski got a genuinely dramatic performance out of him.
No being cute anywhere in that film.

I'd rather not see Depp in the next Batman film. One of the virtues of Christopher Nolan's approach is that he took the camp and cuteness out of superheroes so that they function as real drama. Considering the impeccable high standard Nolan has established for the series, I hope he will look for an actor who expects more from himself than Johnny Depp does.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

Well maybe playing a psychotic Nolan villain might be able to shake him out of that rut. Because Nolan's villains certainly aren't "cute".

The guy still has the acting chops, this might be a good turn for him actually. Scare the audience for a change.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I'm not in favor of Depp being in the next Batman and I find his Jack Sparrow character annoying, but I thought he was good and not cute in the least in Sweeney Todd.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I haven't seen Sweeny Todd. The film may not be cute in and of itself but I'll wager Depp does the same schtick in it he does in every other film. I don't look forward to seeing him play Barnabas Collins for the same reason. If it weren't for the wardrobe change you couldn't tell one character from another because internally they are all the same schtick, being cute.

Of all the current A-list stars, Depp is the laziest actor and the biggest drag.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

That's the thing, as a warm-blooded male i'm painfully aware of her hotness in that film but I still don't want her as Catwoman.

Biel on the other hand...nah, but believe me that's a real difficult nah! ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Heck, I haven't even seen Sweeny Todd yet (it's on a wait on my NetFlix queue because i'm holding out for the BD version) and just based on the trailers i've seen there's no way i'd classify him as "cute" in that film. :eek:

He looks like a freakin' evil psychopath!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Breaking News!!

Christopher Nolan has leaked who the next villain will be in the next Batman movie.....

Condiment King!

:D

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I'm not saying Scarlett would be the PERFECT choice for Catwoman, I would rather see her as Catwoman than Angelina. Besides, Nolan's worked with Scarlett before.

As for the "ugh" comment (and believe me, I'm not "reacting negatively" to your response, because I understand why you wouldn't like Scarlett as Selina Kyle), weren't we ALL all a little "taken aback" by the announcement Heath Ledger was playing the Joker?

I agree that Rachel Weisz would make an OUTSTANDING Catwoman.

And guys (especially Patrick), as far as all those pix of Jolie and Biel in PVC/Latex...thank you. Yummy...

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I honestly wasn't taken aback at the casting of Heath Ledger. My reaction was 'That's a decent choice. He could be very good. Let's see how he does.'

The names being thrown around at the time were actors like Paul Bettany and Adrian Brody. I assumed that whoever was cast would be a respected actor who wasn't super high profile -- like Bettany or Brody -- and that's exactly the type of actor Ledger was.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator

You should exclude Batman & Batman Returns. All the top dogs in both films did a fantastic job in their roles. People have such short memories, I don't recall I lot of people say Keaton was a great choice for Batman at the time and who would have thought DeVito could have been so vile. Some of you guys need to stop sucking on TDK's manhood and take it out of your mouth...
Off my soap box.....

Not sure Depp is the answer here. As the numbers for TDK grow higher it's only setting the next film up more likely than not for failure because expectations are beginning to reach into the stratosphere. There are already three threads directly linked or affiliated with the TDK alone. Very few trilogy's can satisfy the masses like The Original Star Wars and Lord of The Rings. I expect the trilogy's that have reached this exclusive status to be out of the reach of the next Batman, Hellboy, The Mummy, the next Superman etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks