The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by TerryRL
http://collider.com/batman-reboot-warner-bros-christopher-nolan-producer/83025/

It should be noted that Robinov said reinvent as opposed to reboot. I always figured that Nolan would stay on in some capacity after finishing the third film and serve as a producer. I think the direction the studio goes will largely depend on if the principle members of the cast opt not to return and/or the studio chooses to replace any of them. Even if everyone is recast, I seriously doubt that WB will reboot the series after Nolan so successfully did it with BB in '05. With a likely release date in either 2014 or 2015, I think that film will focus on a Gotham where Batman already is an established hero.
More than likely. I just can't see them telling an origin story again.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up Cory.

Personally, I think WB should wait to do a Justice League movie. Allow the dust to settle after Nolan's Batman trilogy is completed, as well as Zack Snyder's crack at Superman. Also, give Wonder Woman a season in the can to see if it attracts strong interest. With Green Lantern hitting theaters this summer, wait to see if it turns into a big hit. On top of that, a Flash movie already in the works, it would be nice to see what a solid director could do with the material. I know patience is something that Hollywood execs have a hard time with, but a Justice League movie would be far more interesting to me if the five principle members (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash) are featured.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Terry, I just don't see a JL movie coming by 2013 at all anyway. Basically, they'd have to start production by the end of the year. That's just not happening...at all. 2014 at the absolute earliest.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I hope you're right because I'm more than content to wait for a really good JL flick as opposed to one the studio fasttracks just to A) launch other lesser known superheroes and B) cash in on the current superhero craze that has gripped the industry. One studio head was said to have called superhero flicks this generation's version of westerns.

I think WB shouldn't stress so much about what Marvel is doing. I understand that this is a fierce competition, but don't release crap for the sake of a quick buck. With movie attendance taking a beating the last 18 months, you'd think the studios would be more cautious about their upcoming slate of big budget superhero flicks. Doing a JL movie now is simply a mistake.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
This is the second time Pittsburgh has been chosen as the setting for a major WB superhero movie. Tim Burton was going to shoot "Superman Lives" there before the plug was pulled.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
That's the only thing I do not like about the Nolan Batman films, how inconsistent Gotham has looked between the first 2 films and, now, appears to be happening again with the third one. In the first film, Gotham looked really good and truly looked different, in Dark Knight it looked like Chicago. Does anyone know why they dropped the more fictional look that was in Begins?

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
A lot of the outdoor Gotham scenes in Batman Begins take place in the narrows, which have a distinct dirty, dark, and claustrophobic look. The Dark Knight has many more scenes of the city during daylight and in more open areas. Nolan also chose a blueish color palette for the Dark Knight in contrast to the sepia look of Batman Begins, obviously.

I think those two factors explain the difference in appearance to a large extent. Nolan definitely didn't try as hard to disguise Chicago in the Dark Knight as he did in Batman Begins. I don't know what his reasoning was. I can see why it would bother some people (like my wife, who's from the Chicago area and recognized many of the locations), but it doesn't bother me.

My main complaint is the lack of the monorail in The Dark Knight. Yes, it doesn't factor into the story, but for the sake of consistency it should have been visible.

bradleybruns

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
I'm not sure what Chris Nolan's reasoning was either, but when I saw The Dark Knight I was struck by how much it did not seem like a sequel.

-New actress for Rachael Dawes
-No Wayne Manor, maybe one comment that it was being rebuilt
-In fact, little mention of anything specific from Begins, save for the Scarecrow cameo and "You once told me we could be together..." exchange between Bruce and Rachael
-No mention of Bruce's parents
-New batsuit
-Tweaked bat voice
-As mentioned, bluer color palate, many daylight scenes, no Narrows, no monorail, different Wayne Tower, Chicago style Gotham
-Very sterile, urban setting (Begins had mountains, caves, dark alleys, spooky asylum, etc)

I'm not criticizing these, rather I think most or all of them were deliberate to create a film that looked and felt different from the first. It certainly worked.

The style will change yet again for The Dark Knight Rises. I expect a batcave, batmobile, and Wayne Manor that are not just recreated, but rather are quite different from what we saw in Begins. Pittsburgh (and perhaps its rivers) will offer a unique take on Gotham. I do hope that the visual style evokes Begins more than The Dark Knight.

I'm not crazy about every change, but I appreciate the desire to keep things fresh from film to film. It will also make the transition a bit easier when another director steps in and shakes things up after Chris Nolan "hangs up his batcape".

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The monorail being one exception, the Gotham in "Begins" was also an undisguised Chicago, since the Narrows area was its own separate island.

It was probably left to the viewers to fill in the gaps about why there are differences in the Wayne Tower, the new one being a completely modern building versus the older-styled one since the base of the original was severely damaged with the collapsing end of the monorail track.

There was indeed that one line about Wayne Manor:

"It'll be nice when Wayne Manor's rebuilt. You can trade not-sleeping in a penthouse, for not-sleeping in a mansion."

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/05/dark-knight-rises-leads-to-tension-between-warner-bros-and-legendary-pictures.html

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are arguably Hollywood’s most high- profile business partners, having shared in the spoils of such blockbusters as “300” and “The Hangover” and the pain of flops like “Jonah Hex” and “Sucker Punch” over the last six years.
But their long-term partnership has come into question as the companies have for the last few months been discussing the possibility of extending their co-financing and production deal, which expires in 2013. That’s in part because they have also been in heated negotiations over working together on one of the industry’s most highly anticipated movies, next summer’s Batman sequel “The Dark Knight Rises,” according to knowledgeable people who declined to be identified because the talks are confidential.
While Legendary was a 50/50 partner on 2008’s “The Dark Knight,” which grossed more than $1 billion worldwide and sold 16 million DVDs, the film financing and production company has for months been trying to secure a similar ownership stake in the sequel. The film, which like the last two Batman pictures will be directed by Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, is expected to cost at least $250 million to produce.
Warner Bros. recently installed movie chief Jeff Robinov has been resistant to again share half the profits, people close to the talks said. A major reason for his reluctance is the studio’s impending loss of its most lucrative wholly owned movie franchise, “Harry Potter,” which ends its run this summer. Robinov is counting on DC Comics superheroes to fill the void left by the boy wizard.
Robinov and Legendary Chairman Thomas Tull recently agreed to collaborate on “Dark Knight Rises,” but are still discussing the terms of their financial arrangement -- most notably whether Legendary will get a smaller-than-50% stake this go-around.
“Legendary has been a great partner and we look forward to working with them on ‘The Dark Knight Rises,’” Robinov said.

Tull declined to be interviewed for this story. Some who know the two said Tull and Robinov do not enjoy the same close relationship that the Legendary founder did with former Warner Bros. President Alan Horn, who left his post as the studio’s top film executive in March. However, Robinov insists the two have a good relationship.
The negotiations have butted up against this month’s start of production of “Dark Knight Rises,” whereas the two companies usually begin working together earlier in the development process.
Beyond the financial benefits, owning a piece of “Dark Knight Rises” is important to Tull because he has in large part shaped his and his company’s public image around “fanboy” films like “Batman Begins,” “Watchmen” and the surprise hit “300.”
As discussions over extending their overall partnership continue, Warner and Legendary are working on a number of upcoming projects, including “Superman: The Man of Steel” and sequels to “The Hangover” and “Clash of the Titans,”
If Legendary had been shut out of the caped crusader’s latest swing on the big screen, it would have undoubtedly put a dent in their relationship.
Since Legendary signed on in 2005 as one of Warner’s two primary financing partners (along with Village Roadshow Pictures), the company has evolved into a much more powerful force within Hollywood. Over the last year, Tull has bought out Legendary’s original investors, giving him more control over strategic decisions, and is in the process of raising a new $700-million credit facility with lead bank JPMorgan Chase & Co. that would run until 2016 -– three years after the current Warner deal expires.

Legendary recently launched television and comic book production divisions and is investing in developing more of its own film projects, including director Guillermo del Toro’s planned science fiction event film “Pacific Rim.”
The moves make Legendary a potentially more valuable partner in an age in which studios want to mitigate their risk as they make an ever-increasing number of big-event pictures that typically cost more than $350 million to make, market and distribute around the globe.
“Having reliable financing partners you can consistently call on is critical for anyone running a studio and putting together a slate of films these days,” said producer Brad Weston, a former president of production at Paramount Pictures.
-- Ben Fritz

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Warner Bros Press Release from today:

PRODUCTION BEGINS ON "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES"
Filming will take place on three continents, with an all-star cast
working under the direction of Christopher Nolan.

BURBANK, CA, May 19, 2011 - Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures' and Legendary Pictures' "The Dark Knight Rises," the epic conclusion to filmmaker Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Leading an all-star international cast, Oscar® winner Christian Bale ("The Fighter") again plays the dual role of Bruce Wayne/Batman.

The film also stars Anne Hathaway, as Selina Kyle; Tom Hardy, as Bane; Oscar® winner Marion Cotillard ("La Vie en Rose"), as Miranda Tate; and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, as John Blake.

Returning to the main cast, Oscar® winner Michael Caine ("The Cider House Rules") plays Alfred; Gary Oldman is Commissioner Gordon; and Oscar® winner Morgan Freeman ("Million Dollar Baby") reprises the role of Lucius Fox.

In helming "The Dark Knight Rises," Christopher Nolan is utilizing IMAX® cameras even more extensively than he did on "The Dark Knight," which had marked the first time ever that a major feature film was partially shot with IMAX® cameras. The results were so spectacular that the director wanted to expand the use of the large-format cameras for this film.

The screenplay for "The Dark Knight Rises" is written by Christopher Nolan and Jonathan Nolan, story by Christopher Nolan & David S. Goyer. The film is being produced by Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Charles Roven, who previously teamed on "Batman Begins" and the record-breaking blockbuster "The Dark Knight." The executive producers are Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Kevin De La Noy and Thomas Tull, with Jordan Goldberg serving as co-producer. "The Dark Knight" is based upon characters appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. Batman was created by Bob Kane.

Behind the scenes, "The Dark Knight Rises" reunites the director with several of his longtime collaborators, all of whom worked together on the "The Dark Knight." The creative team includes director of photography Wally Pfister, who recently won an Oscar® for his work on Nolan's "Inception"; production designer Nathan Crowley; editor Lee Smith; and Oscar®-winning costume designer Lindy Hemming ("Topsy-Turvy"). In addition, Paul Franklin and Chris Corbould, who both won Oscars® for the effects in "Inception," will supervise the visual and special effects, respectively. The music will be composed by Oscar® winner Hans Zimmer ("The Lion King").

The locations for "The Dark Knight Rises" span three continents and include the American cities of Pittsburgh, New York and Los Angeles, as well as sites in India, England and Scotland.

"The Dark Knight Rises" is a presentation of Warner Bros. Pictures, in association with Legendary Pictures. Slated for release on July 20, 2012, the film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

For additional information, please contact:
Jan Craft
(818) 954-2279
[email protected]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The official website is up!
http://www.thedarkknightrises.com

And the viral campaign has already begun - SlashFilm has an article that links to the first released picture of Tom Hardy as Bane, as well as a little bit of info on the viral stuff so far:
http://www.slashfilm.com/first-look-tom-hardy-as-bane-from-the-dark-knight-rises/

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Just saw the picture.... For some reason after seeing this, I can't freaking wait to see this!!!!!!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Will Matthew Modine be playing the Eric Roberts role of 80s has-been trying to resurrect his career in this one?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
Matthew Modine, Tom Conti and Joey King have signed on in undisclosed roles.

I wonder if King will be playing a young Barbara Gordon? It'd be soap opera-esque rapid aging since Barbara was just a baby in Batman Begins and three or four in The Dark Knight, but it seems the most obvious role for a young girl in these movies.
Adam, Nolan could opt for the Barbara/Batgirl origin arc that had "Babs" being Gordon's niece (daughter of his late brother) whom he eventually adopts. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nolan did opt for this version of her history, if he uses the character at all that is.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Official teaser poster. Awesome:
62e116fa_hr_The_Dark_Knight_Rises_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks