What's new

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G
Bane is a lame-o villian. I mean in the comics where he had his big moment, he wasn't all that great. The way Nolan has created a "real world" Batman, I'm not sure how I see Bane fitting into it.

That's what I was thinking at first too but my guess is that Bane will be more like a real world guy who is strong enough to physically best Batman rather than having super juice to make him strong (or whatever the character's comic book backstory is) and hopefully the Mexican wrestler mask is dropped.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
@ Josh post. Hathaway in tight leather... um... yea boner for sure.

Bane is a suprise to me. I thought it would be Hugo Strange or Black Mask.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ann Hathaway isn't my favorite actress, so I'm a little bit bummed about her casting. I was hoping for perhaps an unknown or someone who's a little bit more of a temptress.

Color me as one who is surprised that Bane is the other villain. I think the appeal for Nolan is that Bane is the logical extreme of men trying to become more than merely men.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm fully behind this casting choice:

9278f9a4_annehathawayvii.jpg

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm not worried. I have faith in Nolan executing an interesting take on Bane & even more so with the Selena Kyle character, which I've always thought would work well in Nolan's films.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
d9a675eb_tom-hardy-bronson-thumb-450x315-14916.jpg

Is Nolan trying to prove that he can take anything that Schumacher/Burton got shit for, and make people eat it up? I hope so.

Bane can be a great character in the comics. When done right, he's as smart as Batman. I'm sure his character is going to be heavily modified. My guess is he'll become some kind of drugged-up, corrupt cop who has a personal vendetta against Batman.
Bane will fit right in with the realism that Nolan wants, and he's not some half-wit. He's pretty intelligent. I expect some Bronson-level acting and physicality from Hardy. I mean, who'd have thought Two Face would've actually worked in a Nolan Batman film?

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I am a little disappointed with the chosen villains for this film.

Given Nolan's past in regards to his "mind thrillers" (Memento, Prestige, and Inception), I always felt that he and his brother could write a fantastic story using the Riddler as the villain. Hopefully Nolan will do a fourth using that concept.

I always envisioned a story in which Batman is attempting to turn his perception around (Batman became the villain), but is up against someone who absolutely wants to destroy Batman's image permanently leaving Batman to use his "detective" skills to take down the Riddler.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hmmm who's playing Mr. Freeze? Liam Neeson? So many supervillains to choose from and we're getting Bane and Catwoman again?

I must admit I never saw Anne "Princess Diaries" Hathaway as particularly sexy or beautiful. And she would never have made my top 10 Catwoman shortlist. She looks good in those photos though. :)

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
What in Christopher Nolan's file résumé makes people think that he's going to any lecherous shots of Anne Hathaway, or feature any kind of adolescent pandering? I don't remember anything like that in The Following, Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, Inception, or Nolan's other Batman movies. Okay, when Batman carries Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins, it's a little suggestive. But that's it. We're not talking about Michael Bay here.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Bane character from Knightfall (without the sci-fi drug elements and the back-breaking) would be just fine in Nolan's continuity: a genius who can also impose his physical will on the Batman.

As for Catwoman - I tend to agree that she will not be in a "catsuit". I tend to think Nolan will make her a masked thief in a black outfit (think To Catch a Thief) who gets the "cat burglar" label applied to her by the press.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
To not have Catwoman in a cat suit with at least one cat in her apartment is the same thing as not having a Bat symbol on Batman or skipping the cape on Superman. Might as will create a new character if you're not going to do it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, if IGN's plot rumor holds any water, you may get your wish after all, Russell.

IGN reported recently that Nolan's story will find Catwoman filling the void left by a fugitive Batman, with her vigilante activity prompting Batman's return.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The rumored Hugo Strange would've been cool and I was also one those expecting a "Riddler-esque" villain, but I'm fine with whatever characters fit the story the Nolan Brothers want to tell. I'm okay with Bane and l'm anxious to see Nolan's take on Catwoman.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I seems JGL will be in DKR and theres more here from the cinematographer who was asked to watch BB and TDK back to back then read the new script.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/19313/gordon-levitt-in-pfister-talks-knight-rises-

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
This is a very interesting article on how racially diverse Nolan's Batman films are compared to the vast majority of comic book-based movies:

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/features/why-the-controversy-over-banes-casting-is-misplaced.php#more-58617

The genesis of the article was all the fanboy bitching about Tom Hardy being cast, Bane's ethnicity being in question.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Am I the only one who thinks that Robin needs to be included? You cannot have a Batman without a Robin, in my book anyway. Any word if will see Robin in this film?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P
Am I the only one who thinks that Robin needs to be included? You cannot have a Batman without a Robin, in my book anyway. Any word if will see Robin in this film?
Nolan said long ago that Robin will never be a part of these films. Bale also said the same thing. Neither are fans of the character, and it wouldn't make any sense anyway, given the timeline since these films are about the beginnings of Batman's existence.

I'm in the opposite position, in that you cannot have a Batman WITH Robin, at least in these films. Schumacher's films sure, but not these. Never.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ron-P
Am I the only one who thinks that Robin needs to be included? You cannot have a Batman without a Robin, in my book anyway.
Just looking at the two movies that he has made, I don't see how Robin could fit into Nolan's Batman movies. Robin brings some levity to Batman and levity doesn't seem to be something that Nolan has any interest in putting into a Batman movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks