What's new

The Danny Thomas Show - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The artwork is pretty simple, but my understanding is that this release will feature full length episodes (based on the set's running time, the episodes will average out to 25 minutes) and not the syndicated episodes, like Questar used for season five. Should be a solid release with solid extras . . . . I'm looking forward to it.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Although I'm very glad to see this happening, I can't help but be disappointed at the timing. I had hoped to receive it as a Christmas gift and it won't come out until January 22. Seem a bit odd that they wouldn't have it on the market in time to cash in on Christmas purchases.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I don't care if it comes in a plain brown box. I'm just happy the show is coming out in complete form. It is one of the funniest shows of the 50s and 60s IMO. Hopefully it will sell well enough so that we can get a few more seasons. Hey, if it does well enough they may even put out Make Room for Granddaddy.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I'm not so jazzed about the artwork,either! It's clearly a colorized B&W photo and doesn't even look 'right'.

You'd think someplace there were some decent color pics of the cast from that season.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

If there were, I doubt it would include Sherry Jackson, who was in only one episode before being written out. Terry must have been pretty smart as they had her going away to college at age 16! Don't know why this was done but the stories I heard were that either they had no idea how to write for a sexy teenager or that Marjorie Lord felt threatened because her TV step-daughter had a way better figure than she did.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Just to bump up this thread and to tell you I've spoken to the people who control the Thomas estate and if this does well they will forge ahead with the rest of the seasons, including at the end of the run going back and doing seasons 1-4! How great would that be. I'm not holding my breath as we would have to get seasons 7-11 out first. But there is a chance at least. I'm really excited about this release as I've never seen the show not cut for syndication before.

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.
Thanks for passing that along, Hank--really great news to hear on a Yuletide morning.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Yeah, but will they go back and redo Season Five with uncut prints?

Joe "I'm never satisfied" L.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

If it got to the point where the releases are doing well and selling well, yes, they said they would. Big if though.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, I'll go ahead and ask. Why didn't they do Season Five right in the first place?

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

This is purely speculation but I'm guessing that

A) The company doing it (Questar) didn't know shit about the TV on DVD business and hadn't a clue about cut/uncut or any of this.

B) Since Questar didn't say anything, the distributor had ready made tapes that had run on TV Land and didn't have to put any money or work into re-transferring so they handed over what they had. It was easy and inexpensive.

C) Maybe Questar was offered the option and chose to go the cheap route.

D) After decades of people putting up with watching shows on TV that were BBB (Butchered Beyond Belief), it didn't occur to any of them that people would actually care.

I don't know the answer, but probably a combination of a little of all of the above.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Thanks for that link Bob. It sure looks like it is going to be a great set. I preordered mine a while ago so hopefully I'll have it soon.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
S'More has done a really nice job with this set. I'm about mid-way through, and it's really been great to finally see the show un-cut, after two decades of only encountering those shredded syndication prints. I might have liked a few original commercials as extras, but seeing as how S'More already went the extra mile on extras (great interviews), I can hardly complain. Hope the set sells well enough to continue. I seem to recall the next couple of seasons have some particularly memorable (and funny) episodes.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bert, I am greatly enjoying this set. It's pretty solid (and funny) all the way around. I hope that it doesn't get lost in the DVD release "shuffle" as it's a marked improvement over the season 5 set issued by Questar. But I'm afraid that a certain portion of potential buyers will just automatically associate the season 6 set with the season 5 set and skip it based on the problems with season 5. They need to know that a change in the releasing company to S'more Entertainment has meant a much better release.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
A friend of mine pointed something out to me which I had not given any thought to. Those of us who are in the know about these things understand the history of this show but to some layperson going into a store who sees Season 6, wouldn't the first thing popping into their head be, "Where are seasons 1-5?". After he said that to me I realized that was right. If you don't know any better and you saw Season 6 of a show, the first thing you would think is where are the first 5 seasons?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
And it's odd that they're calling it "Make Room for Daddy," even though it was called "The Danny Thomas Show" for the last seven of its eleven years.

I had wondered if there'd be complaints about Louise -- and coming up in future seasons will be Jose, the elevator boy, which should offend those who love to be offended.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Any news on any other season sets coming out like maybe 7, 8, or others ??
Has anyone heard any hints ??
Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks