What's new

The Damned - "SO, WHO'S PARANOID" New Album (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
The Damned have released there newest album. "SO, WHO'S PARANOID" for download for $9.99. It's available on their website, OfficialDamned.com - The Damned official website. The CD will be out soon as well as a double album.

I've been a Damned fan since the 80's, from the very first time I saw them on the Young Ones performing the song "Nasty". For those unfamilar with the Damned, their albums range anywhere from Punk and Gothe,to psychedelic and even a little bit of Broadway musical. This new album is a mix of all of these and ranks up there dare I say with the "Strawberries" album.

For a band that has been at it for 32 years, The Damned still manages to produce a rocking album that doesn't let up. The Damned lineup has almost always been a revolving one but the current one is David Vaniad (Vocals), Captain Sensible (Guitar), Stu West (Bass), Pinch (Drums) and Monty Oxymoron (Keyboards). Rat Scabies, original drummer and founding member hasn't played with the band in about 10 years. His last outing with the band was when he and Dave Vanian released the Damned album "Not of this Earth" or "I'm allright, Jack and the Beanstalk" depeninding on where it was released. I don't think that was conceived as a Damned album and it does seem a little out of place amongst the band's other albums. Pinch is not only a 'replacement' drummer but an asset to the band.

"SO, WHO'S PARANOID" features "Little Miss Disaster" that was released as a single a little while back. It's the same version on the album. The song "Perfect Sunday" for some reason reminds me of what could be a haunting, heavy version of Johnny Cash's "Sunday Morning" song. "Shallow Diamonds" is so catchy that the somewhat silly lyrics aren't a bother. That is the beauty of the Damned though. "Since I met You" sounds like it would be right at home on a broadway stage. I really couldn't call any of the songs filler.

For those not yet aquainted at all with the Damned, check out the Best of CD. It's the one with Jet Boy, Jet Girl on it. If you are looking for more, Light at the end of the Tunnel is a 2 CD set with everything that is on the Best of but I don't think "Jet Boy, Jet Girl" is. The only other song missing from Light at the end of the Tunnel that should be there is "Beat Girl". It's the instrumental from the movie but with the Damned playing it and Dave Vanian crooning lyrics. This is only available on the Singles A + B sides CD which may be hard to get now. It was released as a very limited single a long time ago. For the new stuff, "SO, WHO'S PARANOID" is a must. Grave Disorder was good but this new one is even better. The Vanian/Scabies colaboration mentioned previously is good as a novelty. Be warned, there are a million Damned compilations. If you were to just buy one compilation, it's Light at the end of the Tunnel.

Even with all the lineup changes, there is a very distinct Damned sound and the new album continues in that vein. I can't wait to see them at the Stone Pony in January and hear these new songs live as well as the classics.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I remember that episode as well - very cool performance. I will have to check it out thanks for the review and recommendation.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
ChristopherG -
Thanks! I've actually been listening to this for a week now and it gets better and better. Much more in line with the "classic" Damned than Grave Disorder.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I love recordings like that. I think the last one I bought, where I could put it in and let it play all day long on repeat, was Radiohead's "Ok, Computer". I plan to pick this up this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks