What's new

The Critic 1/27 Release Info (1 Viewer)

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this a few days ago on DVDToons but kept forgetting to post it here.

Release Date: 1 / 27 / 2003
Retail Price: $49.95
Running Time: 520 minutes
Special Features: - 3 Disc DVD set
- Entire 23 Episodes
- Clip Compilations
- 8 Episode Commentaries
- Brand New Featurette

DVDToons has the official box art as well.

So, no Simpsons crossover episode and no Shockwave internet episodes, but this set is still a must own!!!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Is that MSRP correct? Ouch, kids, don't touch the stove.

Do the special features here warrant the extra money Columbia has tacked on to their usual MSRP for a season box set of a half hour show?

Edit: They don't mention who's doing the commentaries at DVDToons -- can we assume Lovitz contributed to these?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The MSRP doesnt bother me. After all, the MSRP for Indiana Jones is $70, yet I got it for $45.

Anyway, great news! Thanks!

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Is this the first Columbia TV disc with features?
One of my favorite TV shows, I think the price is pretty reasonable. As much as the Simpsons sets retail for, right? I won't expect to pay more than $35, which is more than worth it.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Married...with Children season 1 had the reunion special as a bonus feature, but it was only a 2 disc set. The MSRP being that high is a surprise to me, but no matter I'll get it for less than that, much less.

I can't avoid getting the Critic on DVD.

Long live nylknarf

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
The extras are a very nice suprise, but is anybody else worried about 23 episodes on 3 disc plus extras? I hope the quality doesn't STINK.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The Tick also had some commentaries. Hopefully, the higher price means they'll spread the episodes over a number of DVDs rather than compressing the hell out of them, as with practically everything else they've released from their TV library.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Although the MSRP is a bit higher than I was hoping I've been looking forward to this release forever, so I'm still getting it. Love the cover art, too.

BTW looks like they're not using the extra MSRP money on a proofreader. They spelled Jon Lovitz's name wrong. :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The extras are a very nice suprise, but is anybody else worried about 23 episodes on 3 disc plus extras?
I'm not - at least not at the moment.

What are we getting?
- Entire 23 Episodes
- Clip Compilations
- 8 Episode Commentaries
- Brand New Featurette

OK - so if we assume the featurette and clip compilations are no longer than 25 minutes in total (probably a reasonable assumption), total contents per disc will probably be about 3 hours per disc, which seems quite reasonable to me, especially since I suspect animation of the style in The Critic would be rather easy to compress into the MPEG format.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
I don't think we have a lot to worry about on this one (as far as compression goes)..

the eps I have on the HD (which now go to backup storage soon to be erased) edit out to ~22-23 minutes each...

8 eps/disc comes out to 176-184 minutes... right around 3 hours.. not unreasonable for a dual layer disc.. and animation DOES compress very well...

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Two discs in the Family Guy Volume 2 set have 8 episodes each (and 2 of the 8 episodes on each disc have audio commentary), and I haven't noticed any problems with the picture.

I would guess the discs will be spaced like this:

Disc 1 -- Episodes 1-8 (commentary on 2-3 episodes)
Disc 2 -- Episodes 9-16 (commentary on 2-3 episodes)
Disc 3 -- Episodes 17-23 (commentary on 2-3 episodes), featurette, clip compilations

Only two and a half months to go!

Zak Hepburn

Stunt Coordinator
I can't belive this is comming out:emoji_thumbsup:
The Price is alright by me, just to have all the episodes in one package

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Good to know that compression shouldn't be an issue on this set. I guess that Columbia's recent record just got me worried.
Should we expect Columbia's official announcement on 11/17 to reveal who the commentary participants will be?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I posted in a previous thread that a Jay Sherman commentary on the series would be cool, and it would only have to be 2 words. "It stinks!" Which is actually not true, I laugh out loud just thinking about moments from this series. Speed...Reading, among many others.

My favorite quote though goes something like this:

Jay's X-wife: "According to my lawyer it will cost you a hundred dollars everytime you talk to me."
Jay: "Here's 2 hundred. Get bent!"

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
One of the many funny film segments:

Jay: Now it's time to review an aging Charles Bronson in Death Wish 9.
(Charles Bronson is laying in a hospital bed hooked up to an IV.)
Bronson: I wish I was dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks