What's new

The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D at the Drive-In! (1 Viewer)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
This past July 4th I caught a screening of The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D at the drive-in. It was at the Route 66 Drive-In in Springfield, Illinois. I was suprised to see how well the 3D was, although I think it would have been a little better in a closed environment. We were told that this was the first time the new print had been screened for audiences and you could tell. Besides a moment of one scratch this was the cleanest I've seen the film. Has anybody else seen this yet or seen other old favorites at drive-ins recently?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
They ran a double-system polarized print of Creature at a drive-in (doubtful)? Or did they run an anaglyph (red & blue glasses) print? If it was anaglyph, then you really *haven't* seen Creature in 3-D, as the polarized version is spectacular.

I'm sure it was fun, though, as Creature is a good film.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Maybe that's the print that's going to be shown at the 3D festival in Hollywood in September if it was polarized.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

Did you know that there was a drive-in that showed 3 panel Cinerama movies on a giant aluminum strip screen? Go here.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the link - who would have believed Cinerama at a drive-in? You learn something every day. Damn, a 310-foot throw! I'd *love* to try and keep that focused every show - hope they had a telescope!

But considering how tight Universal is with rare prints, I can't imagine they'd send a drive-in a brand-new dual-system 3D print of Creature. I'm not even sure they're supplying the one for the CA festival.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There were drive-ins running dual-strip Polarized 3-D back in 1953/1954.

I'm pretty sure this new print from Universal is anaglyph. The print at the World 3-D Film Expo in September will be in the original Polaroid format. As Pete said, there is a world of difference in the quality.

Bob

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I saw the (rather poor) downconverted red/blue print of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 16mm at an outdoor venue a few years ago, and it was so dark you couldn't see a thing half the time.

These anaglyphs already ruin the films reputations, but showing them outside? Yuck!

I wonder if any drive-ins will be running SPY KIDS 3-D this summer since it is also using the low tech red/blue anaglyph format for the 3D sequences?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Any time Pete. I've gotten that information from vintage trade magazines like Boxoffice, Exhibitor and Motion Picture Herald. They're a real goldmine of information from that era!

Bob

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I couldn't believe it was in 3D either. I doubt they showed it on two projectors though. Must have been an anaglyph print.

They had it double billed with 'The Matrix Reloaded'. Quite an odd double feature, eh?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Travis, anaglyph uses the red/blue glasses. If you wore those to watch it, as you very likely did, you would have seen a monochrome image with a pinkish tint.

Polarized presentations (either the dual projector or single strip versions, even some IMAX 3-D theatres) use clear gray lens glasses. A black and white movie such as CREATURE would appear in normal B/W 3-D.

A few of the older 3-D movies from the 1950's (usually the black and white ones) were downverted to red/blue anaglyph for re-issues, 16mm rentals, even TV showings. These newer prints were simple to exhibit, but usually looked awful!

I've seen both CREATURE and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 35mm and 16mm anaglyph a few times over the years. I think CREATURE fared better in the conversion, but still, it looked nothing like the original polarized version.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Every red/blue anaglyph conversion pales in comparison to the original dual-strip Polaroid versions, and that includes titles like Robot Monster, The Maze, It Came from Outer Space, Mad Magician, etc. As bad as the black and white conversions are, the color ones are even worse!

It's a shame that, for the past 30 years, the anaglyphs have been the only exposure people have had to see these films in "3-D."

I wish the field-sequential system would improve (and the copyright holders would get off their butts) and release these films in the original 3-D versions. What exactly are they waiting for? The buying audience for this material is not getting any younger.

Bob

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know where else this will be screened (other than LA)? I'd love to see Creature in 3D.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Here is the 3-D film schedule for L.A.

I can only go Sept 15th-17th(mon-wed)
http://www.3dfilmfest.com/schedule.php

Looks like Hannah Lee will be worth checking out, becuase of this:
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the only surviving 3-D print of this feature, and is in faded Eastmancolor. Due to it's rarity, we have decided to run it anyway, but please be advised that the color is "off" on this title.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It is worth pointing out that the LA screenings of CREATURE (and the other flicks) will be in the original dual projector polarized versions. The inferior red/blue downconversions will not be allowed!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
On those 3 days, I would strongly recommend Revenge of the Creature; Dangerous Mission (stunning in 3-D dye-transfer Technicolor;) Phantom of the Rue Morgue (great effects) and The Glass Web - a terrific film, and rare as anything in 3-D. It hasn't been revived since the 1950's, and this show will be its Los Angeles 3-D premiere! (It only played flat in the original playdates, where it was the supporting feature for Walking My Baby Back Home.)

Bob

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Bob,
I'm seeing everyting on those three days that I'll be in L.A.
Looking foward in seeing everything

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I know this about 3D but if anyone gets a chance to see HTWWW at the Dome running concurrently during the festival I recommend it particularly if you never saw 3 projector Cinerama before. Instead of stuff coming out of the screen, Cinerama (3 strip) pulls you into it! And the 7 channel sound is amazing (I was going to use awesome, but I hate that overused word). :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Mr. Peter Kline,

Can you give me some info or a link as whenand times, that this will be playing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks