The Crazy Ones Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Sep 26, 2013.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Premieres tonight

2. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Robin Williams is clearly Denny Crane in an advertising agency. Still, I enjoyed it more then most comedy pilots I've seen.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It wasn't bad. The one-camera aspect is a good style for this show (rather than a sitcom with 3-cameras shooting). I'll stick with it for a bit.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Not too bad. The restaurant pitch, by SMG, to Clarkson was the highlight. The "end take" was hilarious...

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

One and done for me. I've never been a huge David E. Kelly fan, and this just didn't have enough to grab me. I'm watching too many shows already to stay with a show I'm marginal about. And while I love Robin Williams, I also find his style of humor kind of exhausting.

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    "Sony..... Bony"Remind anyone of crazy people?http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099316/I really want to like this. Will give it another try. Could find some hidden comedy gold in the premise.

7. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Volvo.. It's boxy but safe. Yeah good movie reference. I did live the outtake at the end.

8. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Felt like a 20 minute commercial for McDonalds.
    I'm out!

9. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I guess McDonald's and SMG buried the hatchet :http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/sarah-michelle-gellar-was-once-banned-from-mcdonaldsMy intense dislike of Robin Williams colors my judgement of the show. I find this guy about as funny as a Disney Channel or Nick show. One of the shittier ones. That said, the show has many other glaring weaknesses. For instance, SMG is like the police chief in a hackneyed procedural who constantly doubts the titular character who solves the crimes week in and week out. How many more weeks is she going to second guess her father? And why? And if this is going to be a 30 commercial for the sponsor of the week, I will not participate. I only even checked it out for Kelly Clarkson, who deserved all the accolades and was easily the best part of the episode. BY FAR.

10. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit
    Supporter

Jeff Brooks
    GF said turn it off after first segment. Writing seems poor. Gellar not funny. Not sure about the future for this one. Robin Williams is so spontaneously funny, he just does not seem to fit here.

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Makes me miss Ringer.

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Wife and I watched it...meh. Not that good.

13. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Mixed bag. But the outtakes at the end of the episode again were the best thing. Still, there were a few pretty good jokes; my wife commented that hte Coffee riff reminded her of WKRP's Turkey drop episode.. and it is very similar in substance... but it still worked for me. Not a lot of big laugh out loud moments, but a few chuckles.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's an odd show, not truly a comedy, but not much of a dramedy either. Sadly, the best minute of material is from the outtakes at the end of the episode during the credits.

15. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    I really didn't like the first episode. It just didn't do anything for me. But the second episode was bit better and I did laugh a few times. I was all but done however I think I'll stick around for a few more to see if it starts to gel together.

16. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    This show may not work for everyone, but the last two weeks worth of episodes have actually had me laugh. The entire back and forth with the Australian tourism group made me laugh.

I also think they are building a nice, surprisingly open storyline that really works for me. I'll be hopeful it sticks. So far, this and Goldbergs are the two new comedies I'm enjoying most

17. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Ok, I've got to admit.. I may be the only person enjoying this, but the beats to a joke here hit far more often then not. The storyline is far more effective then most comedies.

18. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    I actually enjoy this show quite a bit as well.

19. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Me, my wife and 16 year-old son are really liking this show. Actually liked it from the start.Gellar's reference to Sunnydale in the end-credit outtakes a few weeks back did have us rolling.Then she name-dropped David Boreanaz and his show "Bones" - I think it was the following week.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Having jettisoned some shows from the Tivo, I added The Crazy Ones to try out. I watched the "quant" episode. It was enjoyable. Granted, I'm a sucker for cat jokes ("If I died alone in the house, would you eat my face off? Of course you would. Face meat is the tenderest!") It's not breakout humor, but it wasn't half an hour of Robin Williams playing Robin Williams, which is what I feared from the previews. I'm hoping that it's a show that improves as it goes along, as it settles into its characters and I understand the story better.