What's new

The Cosby Show - Season 1 Announced (1 Viewer)

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator
Well I am sure glad I came across this thread, I immediately cancelled my order at Amazon.com.

I was going to get this, but after reading the review at sitcomsonline, no way now.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not exactly one-edit=no-sale, but enough edits to make several more episodes, forget it. It's the same reason I didn't buy ALF either.

Not me. I'd just transfer the horribly, sloppily butchered USA network recordings from the late 1990s if that's what I wanted.

I say that if you love a show but it's edited, rent it.

Urbanworks/Ventura is another on my no-touch list. In spite of Sony's problems I actually end up buying many of their discs, because most of their episodes are uncut.

The Cosby Show is:
—critically acclaimed
—highly rated
—winner of Emmy and Peabody awards
—gained huge per-episode fees from stations when it went into syndication
—still reran constantly on broadcast and cable TV

I'm going around in circles, I know, but I don't know what I can do, other than complain to the Federal Trade Commission.

R. Kay

Second Unit
What's most dissapointing is they cut out the Lisa Bonet nude scene from the syndicated version ...

Oops, that was 'Angel Heart'.

;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Plenty, if they lied about the content of the disc. If they said that they are the network versions, and they clearly are not (and I can prove that with network versions on tape), they have clearly engaged in fraud.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Just got the new Entertainment Weekly--the review mentions nothing about the episodes being syndicated versions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Probably because he doesn't know or care like the majority of consumers. Not that that makes it right but that's probably the reason.

Admittedly, you could give me this set (cut or uncut) for free and I wouldn't want it but I do feel bad for fans of the show.

Just out of curiousity if they started using the network versions on the upcoming seasons, how many people would start buying with Season Two?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I would--and I'd probably pick up Season 1 too. I'd be a little frustrated, but I'd be very happy if they corrected their mistakes in the future (hopefully reissuing a correct season 1 is in the cards at some point).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
According to another thread, the press release statement is this:

So there is the proof that this company has committed outright fraud unless they recall the disc.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
The Cosby Show was a staple of my house growing up. Every Thursday night...I am disappointed these are syndicated cuts. If they actually advertised though that these were supposed to be the original network cuts, then there should be a recall or something. Has anyone actually seen advertisements where such a claim was made? I would love to see one if so.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Here is the response I got from Carsey-Werner:

"We truly appreciate your enthusiasm about one of our most-cherished shows. The truth is we would not be able to release the show on DVD if we used the original network versions of the show. The licensing fees for the music cues often add up to hundreds of thousands, and sometimes millions, of dollars. You will find that most studios and production companies exercise the same practice of switching out the music for distribution. We make sure to keep the music in the show that is part of the storyline, but we are forced to replace the background music in syndication and on DVD.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Barron Postmus

Carsey-Werner Distribution"

I didn't realize there were also music substitions. He didn't really address the footage cut from episodes.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
music rights?

I guess this means the music performances in seasons 2, 3 and 7 where the Huxtables perform for the grandparents are gone. Stevie Wonder's episode in season 2 will probably be missing too.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
That sounds like a form letter to me -- it applies to the DVD release of "That '70s Show," but has almost nothing to do with the use of cut versions of "The Cosby Show" (which are cut for time, not for music).

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Jaime's right, it doesn't even mention The Cosby Show.

I don't think they'd be stupid enough to do that, although I guess I shouldn't put it past them.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

That's the biggest bunch of hooie I've ever heard. It may happen with certain studios, but using another company's practice as a rationale is a crock. Certainly glad Universal didn't take that approach with Miami Vice Season One.

I'll say it again: No sale!

Peace,

DM

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I had no idea this was going on until I just read this thread. What an appalling ripoff. I wonder if Bill Cosby knows about this (or cares).

John*P

Second Unit
Jamie Weinman- Exactly. That e-mail response is most likely referring to That '70s Show. I have no idea why they sent that out in regards to a Cosby Show inquiry...it doesn't make sense.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Reading that form letter, I guess I should probably cancel my preorder of Roseanne Season 1 then. There's a lot of music in the show, too, particularly in the later seasons, and given that statement there's no way we're gonna get it intact.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks