The "Cool Quotes" Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bryan^H, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Got any famous, or cool quotes you have heard in your lifetime? If so post them here. Thanks a Bunch! Here are a couple I remember( I tend to favor more whimsical quotes myself): "It is one thing to anticipate death...it is quite another to see it coming"-? "I've wined, and dined with kings, and queens and slept in alleys and eaten pork n beans"-The American Dream Dusty Rhodes.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    "I'm your huckleberry" "Go ahead, make my day"

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Nice! Giant-"I'm on the brute squad" Mircale Max eyeing the giant through his small door window-"You are the brute squad"

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.
    -philip k. dick-

Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going weren't never there. And where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
    -Wise Blood- (1979)

"Eenie meenie and miney-mo
    Told me you'd'n't want me around no more
    Woo-ee baby, woo-oo-ee
    Baby don't you let your dog bite me"
    -F. Domino-

5. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    "Idealism increases in direct proportion to one’s distance from the problem." - John Galsworthy

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Mencken

"Bitch set me up." - Former D.C. Mayor Marion Berry

6. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

OMG... you have me roaring with this one! :D

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

A former boss of mine at a previous job in higher education stated this gem: "We are over budget. However, it is not due to mismanagement or overspending."

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

As a proponent of minimalism (in general, and in software interfaces in particular)... "A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" - Antoine De Saint-Exupery. - Walter.

9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

"The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. We are so insignificant that I can't believe the whole universe exists for our benefit. That would be like saying that you would disappear if I closed my eyes. " -Stephen Hawking

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory." - George S. Patton "The principal difference between an adventurer and a suicide is that the adventurer leaves himself a margin of escape (the narrower the margin the greater the adventure)." - Tom Robbins "Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook, and a good digestion." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein "Controversy equalizes fools and wise men - and the fools know it." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

11. MrsMac

MrsMac Agent

On growing older, from “If You Ask Me: (And of Course, You Won’t)” by Betty White: “It’s not a surprise, we knew it was coming—make the most of it.” "The trouble with quotations on the Internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln

12. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. Thomas Jefferson.

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    On a recent cruise I was on, the Captain addressed us each morning with a morning address (duh), which he invariably ended with a personal "wisdom for the day".

Probably from a book (or a list he had gathered together). But this was a real gem:

The early bird catches the worm.

But... the second mouse catches the cheese.

(Made us all think about the early mouse as well.)

Cees

14. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    There was an old owl that lived in an oak, The more he heard, the less he spoke; The less he spoke, the more he heard, O, if men were all like that wise bird! PUNCH MAGAZINE, LXVIII, 155 [1875]