What's new

The Contender ongoing thread (2 Viewers)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I guess I am going against the grain here and calling for The Snake to win it all. He has this other mode that he goes into when he is on. If he brings his A game he can beat anyone.

With it being on Tuesday I know I am going to have to watch it on my PVR after my daughter has gone to bed.

I seriously hope that they bring it back for another season. We will see.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Arthur tell me you weren't serious when you posted that.

---

Parker, there's a few of us bettin on Sergio.;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The contender was not on the fall schedule pick-up by NBC, so it's doubtful it'll be back on NBC next season.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it'll be picked up by a cable network, although I doubt Burnett would use his time producing a quality show that isn't on a "real" network.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe The Contender is shutting down after tonight and I was thinking that this show was going to be a hit but I guess NBC didn't care about The Contender...

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
As someone pointed out, Fox tried a boxing reality show not long ago and it failed. Also, when was the last time you saw boxing on network TV on a Saturday afternoon? Boxing, on a regular basis, just isn't popular enough anymore.

I like the Contender though the way they edited the fights, there was about 8 minutes of action shown in the 5 round fights.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Fight 2 was Ishe vs. Anthony to see who was the #1 Daddy.
Ishe dismantled Anthony!
It looked liked a wrestling match at times with body throws and a flip-like throw.

todd stone

Screenwriter
I can't believe this show will not be coming back. It was the only reality show that actually had heart, imo

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
One judge scored the main fight a skunk by the Snake with the 70-63 score. Yikes!

I'd score it 68-65 at best.

Sergio was doing classic Sugar Ray Leonard moves with the ratta-tat-tat acting to steal rounds at the end of the rounds, and the showboating of showing the glove before ripping Peter with uppercuts to the body and chin.

Props to Sergio to not let Peter push him around after the 1st round.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Well Alphonso definitely was in better shape for the bronze match...

Geez... 200K for winning that? Alphonso boxed well, plus he paced himself (and it was only 5 rounds - but I think this time the short round favoured Jesse)

Like I said, Jesse isn't a boxer. He can hit tho.

Final was excellent. Maybe not as exciting as two people standing toe to toe in the middle of the ring but there were some serious blows being thrown on the ropes. Sergio was obviously in better shape, and the better figher but one of the scores was 70 to 63... that fight was more like 68 - 65 if not closer. Peter faded in the last three rounds.

To bad it's over... really liked the premise.

So if Alphonso gets 200K and Sergio gets a 1 M, then what did Peter get?

Best scene was Jesse's gold digger wife realizing that she isn't getting a shopping spree... AGAIN!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's a rematch edition of "The Contender" tonight on ESPN, the new home for "The Contender" with the new season starting in April, 2006.

Alphonso took care of business in his match, but #1 Daddy got the shaft in his re-match with Jesse. That was pretty embarrassing. How does someone become a judge for boxing matches? Seems like there isn't a lot of consistency at the head-scratcher boxing matches that seem so one-sided, but the judge saw it totally different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks