The consolidated thread for NYPD BLUE season 3

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd stone, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

3. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I don't think the first few episodes of season 6 were that great.

Also, NYPD Blue doesn't air on Bravo, it airs on Court TV in the evenings.

I wish Columbia would release Caruso's other show that he did before CSI: MImai. It is a one season show called Michael Hayes.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well Season 1 is the greatest and at least having that and Season 2's Swansong of David Caruso is nice. The series had some lean years where things were pretty much on Auto Pilot. It definately hit a resurgence and got alot better after Rick Shroader left. I liked Rick but his character was badly Underwritten. I still think they would've been better served making Baldwin Jones Sip's new Partner, that would've been interesting. Also they Interviewed Bruce Campbell and I think he could've made for an interesting partner. THe Show was at it's best when they focused on Both Franz and Caruso's characters. And As much as Caruso was blamed for everything I still think Franz wanted to be in the Spotlight. If you watch the first season Franz was definately support for Caruso. Every Subsequent Season the Partner's got more and More in Sip's Shadow. Probably the reason why Smitz left.

5. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Agent

6. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

nt

7. David_Blackwell

I read (in this forum) season 2 of NYPD Blue didn't sell well and the other seasons might not see release to DVD in the near future, and this had been discussed in another thread weeks ago in this forum.

Be Seeing you,
    David Blackwell

8. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Do we know that Series 3 is not coming out. I remember Gord said he hadn't heard a final descision from Fox yet?

9. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

As far as network TV goes, NYPD has gotten buried by newer crime shows with fresher faces -- think CSI & CSI: Miami, Without a Trace, the Law & Order franchise, etc. NYPD is no longer a ratings champ and the same thing is happening to it on DVD: it's just flat-out getting buried by all these new DVDs being announced and released.

I personally don't think there's much excitement towards it anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if Fox waited until it was long forgotten before releasing future sets. That way they could at least promote it as "classic TV". For example: What would you rather have in your hands right now, a season 1 set of the "classic TV show" Hill Street Blues or season 3 of "NYPD Blue"?

Fox is one studio that tends to expect big sales figures in order to keep producing a show on DVD. If you can't make money off Mary Tyler Moore, how are you going to make money off showing Dennis Franz's butt?

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm starting to get into Season 2, have these really sold Badly ? They are a great deal for $39 and 22 episodes (Listening Universal?)

11. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Does anyone know what's happened to NYPD season 3 and, coem to think of it, other seasons for that matter?

Seems a stoney silence from all concerned at the moment.

12. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I seem to remember hearing something about the sales not being what they hoped for and that they currently have no plans to release any more. A shame for such a groundbreaking show.

Ric

13. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

That's a kicker... anyone else know anything?

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    There is nothing more to add to what Ric said. There are earlier threads on this topic which can be found via searching. It would appear that NYPD Blue is NYPD Dead.

Steve

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Someone posted a link to a Fox e-mail address that was supposedly polling viewers about DVD releases to a Blue newsgroup. Against my better judgment (the studios tend not to pay much attention to e-mail, even when they solicit it) I dropped them a line. Here was their reply:

16. David_Blackwell

Yep, the TNT and CourtTV airings are edited down and censored when the FX airings (and ABC airings) weren't.

17. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I bought both soon after they were released.

It's weird that the fans managed to fight back Once & Again from permanently taking the Monday 10pm timeslot, but won't buy the sets to keep them coming.

18. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Um... That's Tuesday at 10pm! Just out of curiosity... NYPD Blue had one or two 90 min. episodes. How have they handled that in syndication? Did they chop them up into hour long segments?

Ric

19. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

You're right. My bad.

20. JeffDeem

JeffDeem Auditioning

Hello,
    Has there been any news on more NYPD Blue seasons being released on DVD? It's been one of my all time favorite shows and I watch them all the time on TNT and Court TV, but I would love to get the DVD's of the rest of the seasons like 1+2. I'd really appreciate any information you may have on this. Thanks in advance.

Jeff