What's new

The Complete "The Lord of the Rings: score - with 5.1 DVD (1 Viewer)

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that not a single person here has commented on the book, "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films" by Doug Adams, mentioned in the annotated scores.

Just as I think my collection is complete, I learn that it isn't. Not only is there more music to be heard, there is this book yet to be published.

First, I found the authors blog after much searching.
You can read it here: http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms.blogspot.com/

The book was originally planned to come out in 2005, but when they realized that each Complete CD set would take a year to put together, the book also got delayed.

Why mention the book? Because it will come with two DVDs that will contain more music: unused cuts, alternate cues, etc. Gotta have it. They won't be available separately from the book.

I'm slowly getting through the ROTK Complete set, but there is no need for a review. The music is awesome and I only listen to it on my iPhone/iPod.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Yea Dan, I've been reading about this in the Return of the king thread on moviemusic .com. Can't wait for this to come out. I just bought myself a creative zen and LOTR was the first thing to go on there.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
cduniverse STILL hasn't filled this order. i'm thinking about just going out and buying it. v. frustrated.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Wow. Not really sure what there is left to say after listening to the ROTK score from start to finish, except this:

THANK YOU HOWARD SHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ditto shawn. i haven't had time to actually sit down and listen to the entire thing, but i listen to Side B and the last few tracks of the DVD Audio (in fact, i'm listening to it right now) and it is just sheer bliss. high-res AND surround sound AND good content!!!! there's a lot of heavenly music going on in ROTK!

it's very RARE that a soundtrack and stand alone indepedent of films and LOTR trilogy is one of those rare works that are just a cut above all others.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, my first two, from Amazon, just came today (RotK still 'on order' from DVDPacific :frowning:), and I must say, WOW, they look good. Very nice package, the book, the discs, everything. I may have to arrange a special LotR shelf for these, the DVDs and the other stuff (including the program from the LotR symphony in Stockholm :)
Interesting factoid; return address on the boxes were in New Zealand, not the US, I thought they were made in the US, and I bought from Amazon.com...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm assuming the DVD Audio is 24-bit/48kHz or is it just 16-bits?

PS will trueHD be capable of 24/192kHz 7.1? imagine that for a music album =P. start dreaming of these complete recordings of being re-re-re-re-leased on either Blu-Ray HD DVD "Audio" in that sample/bitrate.

DanFe

Second Unit
The Return of the King Complete Recordings is no where to be found online. Possibly out of print already? Everywhere shows nothing in stock.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
That's wild. There are still copies of the complete FotR at my local Best Buy & Fry's. But I will say I've never seen the TTT or RotK boxes on the shelf anywhere.

I wonder if Reprise adjusted the pressing numbers of each set downwards based on sales of the previous set? These are costly boxes and I expect they weren't huge sellers.

Oh well, glad I've got mine!!

DanFe

Second Unit
I also got mine. I was able to get it at Borders (last copy in Tacoma, WA) and combined it with a 25% off coupon. $61.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks