What's new

The Complete "The Lord of the Rings: score - with 5.1 DVD (1 Viewer)

Manus

Second Unit
I wonder how they're going to squeeze the 'complete score in 5.1' onto one single disc ? This is actually quite disappointing news as they had originally promised they whole thing on Dvd-A.For the sheer volume of music involved it would have made more sense.

M

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

The 4th disc is a DVD. Considering the original film was put on one DVD with a DD 5.1 track, it would be child's play to put the score by itself (with no movie) on a single disc, if the format is just DD.

But the actual format info is not yet available. It's coming from the Warner group, so DVD-A is a possibility. Would a DVD-A rendition of the score fit in the space formally occupied by the film itself??

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The score will probably be in DTS as well as DD 5.1 on the DVD I think. There will be plenty of space for it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I woudn't count on it; again, it's coming from the Warner group which is not big on DTS.

However, I would be happy to be wrong... :)

I just hate these announcements that leave out details.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A frustratingly detail-poor article/press release re what exactly is on that fourth disc: is it high rez or not? If so, what are the bit and sampling rates?

"5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format" is the kind of language that has started to populate the music landscape thanks to DualDisc. Until I see specs, I'll unfortunately have to assume that this is a lossy, Dolby Digital presentation of the score not high resolution.

This intimates that there are going to be "Compete Recordings" releases for Two Towers and RotK as well. As much time as has transpired since the original tease of DVD-As of the scores (or at least Fellowship), one would think they could just release all three at the same time.

Now I must wonder if they'll do a three-pack of just the fourth discs from all three releases only after the TT "Complete" streets, if that ever even happens.

Warner is largely not supporting DVD-A anymore. It would be very curious if they're now planning to pop up and release DVD-A versions of complete score recordings, years after they apparently scrapped original plans to do so.

Color me interested but skeptical,
-p

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Well, Space is not an issue for DVD-Audio. Several DVD-Audios contain more than 180 min of music in 5.1, e.g. Bach Mattäuspassion (Harnoncourt, Teldec), Beethoven String Quartets op 18(Auryn Quartet, Tacet). So, yes, it would fit. It is rather a question of if they WANT to.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm quite looking forward to complete details. If this is to street on 11/22 then we should be seening something definitive very soon. I would've preffered a big box with all three complete scores (12 discs) though.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Speculation is that they thought they could increase sales by releasing the complete scores in three parts rather than one big super-expensive 12-disc box set.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I think it's way late for that strategy if that's what they're thinking (and it probably is). If it takes HALF as long for the "Complete" TT to street as it's taken for us to move from the DVD-A news to this release, we'll see that "Complete" TT sometime in 2007. :thumbsdown:

They should release the big azz box and the three individual releases all at the same time.

-p

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I agree shame on them... Give the whole thing at once!!! All of it in dvd format...... Forget the cd stuff... You can already get that..... Lets have the DD 5.1 complete trilogy.......NOW

R!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Not everything. The CDs are a subset of the whole score.

You could also say that you can get the score in 5.1 on the DVDs. Granted, there are actors talking over it, but it is there. :D

Jason

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

I know there are two cd versions that are out.. the regular and limited edition.. the leather bound ones... I know they say the leather bound cd versions are the complete scores...

so they say...lol...

R~

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

No they don't. The TTT leatherbound edition has a track from Fellowship EE, but other than that I don't think any of them have more music (and none of them claim to be the complete score).

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I stand corrected..... Oh well... i would still like to have them all at once thou......

R~

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
This still isn't showing up on Amazon :frowning: Anyone have any other links, for more details, cover, tracklisting, etc?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't suppose the fourth disc (DVD) will be released separately, huh? That's too bad.

HERE'S the press release from Reprise. Sounds like its only going to be released with all four discs packaged together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks