What's new

The Complete Criterion Collection on DVD (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
In addition, many of the early Criterions (as were all DVDs when the format was introduced) were discounted heavily by online merchants in an attempt to "get you" as a customer for life. It is that exact reason why some went bankrupt.
Well, I don't see this being specifically applicable to the complete et of Criterion. If you're saying that you purchased Chasing Amy:CC at 20% of MSRP and want to value it at MSRP, I suppose that's fine. But don't be surprised if someone wants to order it online for the same 20% off. That particular arguement applies to ALL dvds, not just the Criterion Collection.
Generally, regarding collector's items, a complete set of anything is usually worth more than the total of the individual items that comprise the complete set.
Hmm, I'll admit that I'm not up to date on the collecting world, however that seems a bit flawed. I can understand the reasoning to a degree, however. But, in the case of the Criterion Collection, I'd say it wouldn't apply.
------------------
cwmddd.gif
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,
I have a few Criterion DVD's in my Collection. They are as Follows:
1. Gimme Shelter
2. A Night to Remember
3. Robocop
4. The Rock
5. Rushmore
6. Silence of the Lambs
7. Spartacus
I have always been curious as to what the first Criterion Disc was that was ever Produced (#1 in the Collection) for dvd?
------------------
Ed Vandeweerd
[email protected]
my collection

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Grand Illusion is indeed #1 on the spine but didn't come out for a loooong time after Criterion got into DVDs. It was delayed for quite a while. The first Criterions I remember getting were Spinal Tap and SOTL.
------------------
DVDs | CDs
"While the police are at it, they should find out where my intern is. I asked for those copies 20 minutes ago!"

I believe that you are incorrect in assuming that the insurance company is going to reimburse for the replacement cost of the DVDs. For common items such as CDs and DVDs, an insurance company will reimburse you $10 to 15 per disc. A DVD, even an OOP Criterion, does not fall in the category of a rare painting or drawing. I'd double check with your insurance company, but I'm sure that I am sure. I know of people who have had rare CDs stolen out of their cars and expected the insurance comp to reimburse them for the replacement cost. The insurance comp did not.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
While I don't know much about the insurance part of the question, I for one would just like to say "Congratulations!!!" on obtaining the entire set thus far!! :) Damn, I'm big time jealous... heh heh... that's awesome.
Good luck with the insurance...
Scott.
------------------
Scott's DVD List

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Sam, as someone whose apartment was recently burglarized and a number of rare comic books/CDs stolen, I can verify that Patrick is right about insurance companies and their policies. Most places, unless you pay a higher premium, will NOT even pay you replacement value, but a depreciated value, as I learned when I got tooled to the tune of 40% (!) depreciation on a nearly $5000 loss.
Most rental and/or homeowner insurance covers only depreciated value of CDs/DVDs and many don't even do that. My advice is to check a dedicated collector's insurance company. I got a business card from this firm when I attended this year's San Diego Comic-Con and they seem legitimate:
Collectibles Insurance Agency
(888) 837-9537 www.collectinsure.com
I'm going to look into this after I'm done haranguing with my own insurance company. It's better to deal directly with people who understand the value of "collectibles" rather than just some schmoe who couldn't tell the difference between a sealed Criterion "Killer" (or "Salo" for that matter) and a $4.99 Madacy bargain-basement title.
Hope this helps.
[Edited last by Mark Cappelletty on August 29, 2001 at 03:01 PM]

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
oops, posted the same reply twice. lol. Why cant i delete my own reply or post?
[Edited last by John Sturge on August 29, 2001 at 05:27 PM]

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Criterion Co. will be releasing "Evita" anytime soon on dvd? I have the ld boxset and would really like to see this editon in an anamorphic and dts edition. I know Buena Vista did release the ld in dts form, but it was only a CLV edition.

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
To all (especially Gary):
I must say that without collecting the entire Criterion Collection, I would have never watched such classics from Bergmen, Kurosawa, Suzuki, and movies such as The Killer, All that Heaven Allows, etc.
It has truly been an eye-opening experience to watch EVERY Criterion Collection movie out on DVD. And now that even more Hitchcocks are coming to Criterion, well - what can I say but :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks