What's new

The coming Graphene revolution (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's pretty cool. But the fact that they tested it in a replica Red Tail P-51 is AWESOMELY cool!

Crap, I forgot to patent graphene condoms! Probably too late now. . .

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
WAT what Watt?!?!?!
Scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research (MPI-P) in Mainz and the National Univ. of Singapore have attested that the thermal conductivity of graphene diverges with the size of the samples. This discovery challenges the fundamental laws of heat conduction for extended materials.Davide Donadio, head of a Max Planck Research Group at the MPI-P, and his partner from Singapore were able to predict this phenomenon with computer simulations and to verify it in experiments. Their research and their results have now been presented in the scientific journal Nature Communications."We recognized mechanisms of heat transfer that actually contradict Fourier’s law in the micrometer scale. Now all the previous experimental measurements of the thermal conductivity of graphene need to be reinterpreted. The very concept of thermal conductivity as an intrinsic property does not hold for graphene, at least for patches as large as several micrometers", says Davide Donadio.
http://www.rdmag.com/news/2014/05/physicists-show-unlimited-heat-conduction-graphene#.U3EMiWtgSb8.reddit

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's not patent war chest building, it's an arms race:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-15/samsung-apple-smartphone-battleground-is-single-atom-thick-tech.html
Samsung has 405 published applications, according to a 2013 report from the U.K.’s Intellectual Property Office, which said the South Korean company appeared to be ahead of its rivals. In the U.S., Samsung has 38 patents and at least 17 applications using the word “graphene” in the summary of its invention, according to data from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Apple, based in Cupertino, California, has at least two patent applications with the office related to the material. Companies from International Business Machines Corp. to Foxconn Technology Group have also registered graphene patents.
I remain skeptical of the bendable/foldable aspects tho. You are still going to need a LOT of components that arent going to work with that. The batteries for example. So you'll have a big dongle hanging off this sweet sheet? I don't think that will be effective...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am not exactly Mr. Politically Correct (not by a very long shot), but the fact that articles about female scientists almost invariably feature a stock photo of some model instead of the actual scientist kind of bothers me.

Users who are viewing this thread