What's new

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The point was to avoid the mistakes made by the Warner Archive, not to replicate them...

walter o

Supporting Actor
WOW, despite the prices, this is a amazing list, some of these titles have never even been on VHS anywhere, so this is a big welcome for me. I was hoping Criterion might license MICKEY ONE, but still nice to see it finally come out.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Originally Posted by walter o

POST REMOVED AT REQUEST OF THE STUDIO. PLEASE DO NOT RE-EDIT

Does it mean that these releases are not authorized? Or that official announcement is forthcoming?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'm dying to see this "massive" list of Sony releases everyone's been writing about -- but there's a suspicious string of "Post Removed at Request of Studio" entries along this thread. Seems we've been infiltrated by the hush-up boys....

So how does one go about seeing this Sony "list"? Are these titles actually being released? Anyone?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I found many of the titles by going to Critic's Choice and going to the coming soon section and going through the september titles . The columbia titles don't seem to have cover art and they are going for just under $25 . many interesting titles . I hope the price changes .

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Camps

I'm dying to see this "massive" list of Sony releases everyone's been writing about -- but there's a suspicious string of "Post Removed at Request of Studio" entries along this thread. Seems we've been infiltrated by the hush-up boys....

So how does one go about seeing this Sony "list"? Are these titles actually being released? Anyone?

My contact at Sony tells me that an announcement will be forthcoming but that nothing has been finalized yet, so take what you may have seen with a grain of salt.

Whatever Sony is doing, I do not see this as an indication that they are going to be slowing down on the release of DVDs. Sony already has a dozen titles scheduled to street during the first two weeks of November, including the long-awaited Rita Hayworth box set. Included are a number of catalog titles, including GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM, PHFFFT!, UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE, THE NOTORIOUS LANDLADY and OPERATION MAD BALL.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter

Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

My contact at Sony tells me that an announcement will be forthcoming but that nothing has been finalized yet, so take what you may have seen with a grain of salt.

Whatever Sony is doing, I do not see this as an indication that they are going to be slowing down on the release of DVDs. Sony already has a dozen titles scheduled to street during the first two weeks of November, including the long-awaited Rita Hayworth box set. Included are a number of catalog titles, including GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM, PHFFFT!, UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE, THE NOTORIOUS LANDLADY and OPERATION MAD BALL.

Most of the titles Rich mentioned, however, (starting with GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM) must be first-time stand-alone releases, because they have been available for some time (collectively) as part of Sony's Jack Lemmon box set.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
These Sony DVD-Rs seem to be Critic's Choice exclusives; even though they're due for release (via CC) on Sept. 21 they're not listed on Amazon or Movies Unlimited (which TCM uses as its DVD distributor) -- a bit ironic since most of these titles have aired on TCM...

Anyway, a positive development just the same.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Deep Discount lists them as well and they're cheaper at DD. Nonetheless I'm gonna wait for the official announcement.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I can't seem to find any of the titles on dd . maybe i'm doing something wrong . I hope dd does carry them at a cheaper rate .

Some of the titles seem to have artwork now on Critic's Choice .

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The studio should have done a better job coordnating this - like telling the companies not to list on their sites untill a press release. :)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

The point was to avoid the mistakes made by the Warner Archive, not to replicate them...

The only way to do that is to press discs :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Marcel H.

Deep Discount lists them as well and they're cheaper at DD. Nonetheless I'm gonna wait for the official announcement.

Infinity Resources is the mother company of Deep Discount and Critic's Choice along with some other web sales sites. I don't think you will see them on Amazon or Movies Unlimited due to perceived competition.  

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
When do they plan on a press announcement ? They are available on the 21st .

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Why are people reposting information that has been removed?

It should become quite obvious that the studio has contacted us

and asked that the information not be posted here until they can

provide an official press release.

Next person that posts any titles from that list are going to find

themselves removed.

Appreciate the cooperation

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by borisfw

When do they plan on a press announcement ? They are available on the 21st .

Don't assume anything. Sony has not made any announcement and nothing which has been speculated about has been confirmed.

As soon as Sony makes an announcement, Ron will post it on HTF.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Ha! I just got hit with my own "Post Removed"! I've arrived!!

What are these Sony guys going to do about the listing on Critic's Choice's site if they don't want us talking about them here...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks