What's new

The Colony Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
What is this show about? I saw a preview the other night so I decided to record the series but I have no idea what it's about.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They setup a situation.. in this case, they contend there was a biological war. They strand 8 people in the middle of an area. In this case, it's about a 12 acre area. so big enough that they can't walk out in a day. The people are then responsible for coming up with their own food, water, electricity, as well as defense.

They are free to raid the buildings or areas around them and determine where to eat and sleep. Since it's a city area, they have to figure out their own sanitation and water situations.

A lot of it is invention.. like "how do we get electricity" "how do we get food". The show sends in "raiders" every so often who will torment the people. The raiders are just scripted people... with the authority to beat the s--- out of the people involved, destroy their goods or steal from them. So, late at night, a raider may come in and burn something, steal something, or just wake them up to prevent them from getting sleep.

For the duration of filming, they do not have "challenges" or real contact, they decide the direction the show takes. Only if something medical emergency comes up is there intervention.

It's.. different. This last week, they were desperate to get power. The week before they found a truck full of rotting pigs (pigs covered in maggots, etc. that was a few weeks old and rotten). While they rotated puking and dragging, they managed to get the meat so they could cut the fat off of it and boil it into eco-diesel. Pretty innovative.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Thanks. Wow, crazy show. I got to watch this thing.

The Raiders are allowed to hit the people?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes, the raiders absolutely can hit and punch. And they do. In Ep2 this year they comment on how they took a beat down at the raider's hands, showing off cuts and needing bandages... while worrying about whether or not they might be at risk for tetanus. Good stuff.

Previews for next week show them flushing out rancid port-a-potties of very old sewage to try and clean up the area. Talk about putrid s---..

Show producers say a lot of the things are "just as they were left" from Hurricane Katrina. So, who knows.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you, too, have found yourself daydreaming about the apocalypse -- and Christ, who hasn't? -- you may want to catch up with Discovery's "The Colony" (10 p.m. Tuesdays ), a truly bizarre reality experiment that attempts to re-create all of the thrills and spills of the post-apocalyptic experience. Sadly, instead of the lighthearted romp you'd expect, "The Colony" may be the single bleakest reality show ever. We're talking about the fallout of a global pandemic and the end of life on Earth as we know it -- so where are all the laughs? And unlike other reality shows, no one mouths off or cheers each other on or sings moving renditions of "And I Am Telling You," or even solves gigantic puzzles. No. "The Colony" is to "Survivor" what "The Shining" is to "The Sound of Music."
http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/the_colony/index.html?story=/ent/tv/heather_havrilesky/2010/08/07/the_colony_apocalyptic_reality_show

But personality clashes are not the main event here, and despite the intolerable living conditions, we're treated to plenty of impressive feats along the way. Jim quickly builds a little bridge across the canal without ever getting his feet wet or risking getting bitten by an alligator. Sally, Reno and George create a generator using spare car and tractor parts. Just watching Sally explain her plan taught me more about the mechanics of engines and generators than I'd ever known before. By the time the group actually succeeds in recharging their batteries and power tools using rendered pig fat, I can hardly believe it. The idea to render the pigs seemed totally ludicrous at first; seeing it actually work was truly memorable.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Anytime you've got one group of people making a forge to build machettes, and you end the show with another group chasing down machette wielding "home team" and they are using cattle prods.. yeah, that's some good stuff :) I loved them trying to figure out how to preserve meat, and then getting it screwed up so that they end up with nothing out of all that fish.. wah wah wah!

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mattCR They strand 8 people in the middle of an area. In this case, it's about a 12 acre area. so big enough that they can't walk out in a day.

Matt are they only allowed to rome around in a 12 acre area? As a farm boy I can tell you that 12 acres is not very big and you could walk out of it in about 20 minutes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's not huge. But when you're not provided food and you've got people coming in burning your stuff up, walking out in a one walk is difficult. Have a good meal in the morning and walk straight out is I assume possible. Last season when someone walked off too far they got "abducted" for being seperated from the rest and held up. So, I think there is that as an option

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Well I am going to try and remember to set my DVR so I can start watching. I like the idea of get abducted if you walk out to far. Pretty neat twist.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Always good to have the raiders come in and BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN. Wow. Even though they obviously waited until they were next door, but jesus, as a psychological game you'd think at some point seeing someone torch a place you were just at and sleeping the night before would creep you out

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
How many reality shows have a woman walk to get berries to find herself getting jumped by 3 bald guys, beaten, hog tied, with a garbage bag thrown over her head?

I can't figure out why anyone would ever go on this show. This would mess your whole psyche up

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just brutal. Absolutely brutal. I'm sure they know it's a show, but if you were jumped like that..

"As part of the experiment, one of the colonists is abducted to see how they and the group cope with stress and negotiate for her potential release"

GTFO.

The moment they were fighting her on the ground and they tore her shoes and necklace and stuff off while they wrestled her on the ground and put the cuffs on while screaming at her and putting a garbage bag on her head.. F that. You might KNOW it's a game, but in that moment, don't tell me that wasn't crazy scary. That is just insane.

"Now that they have been submerged for weeks a traumatic event can cause them to lose the lines between what is real and what is not.. as their mind struggles to grasp with the results"

You know that they understand it's a reality show. But on one level, it's so messed up that panic still overwhelms them. Just crazy. And yet, one of my favorite crazy moments every week :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So, tonight their water was poisoned, dead fish everywhere.
And they slaughtered a gator.

And tried to concoct a motorbike of sorts.

With the water apparently poisoned or contaminated, they struggled to claim rainwater while worrying about dehydration in the crazy heat.

Good times.

Jacobden

Auditioning
Real Name
Jacobden
Thanks , I really liked it.

http://www.watch-south-park-online.com
http://www.watch-house-online-free.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks