What's new

The Closer: Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone watching the final season of The Closer? I've been a big fan since the beginning and I'm kind of sad to see it go but nothing lasts forever. I enjoyed the first episode and I liked how they took care of the administration change. The resolution was good for Brenda and Pope but Taylor sure did take it in the shorts. I know the producers have ideas of continuing the show in some form once Kyra Sedgwick leaves but I really think they should just spin Flynn and Provenza off into a new show. Those two actors really work well together.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Like you, I have been watching the show from the beginning and really loving it. They're filming 21 episodes for this final season so we'll get some this summer, some in January, and the final episodes next summer spinning off into Major Crimes with Mary McDonnell taking the reins of the squad. No announcement yet about which actors from the ensemble will be returning, but apart from the actor who plays David Gabriel (who expressed in an interview a desire to move on), I expect to see rest of the group back.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Spoilers aren't required here are they? I'm assuming not. I was very disturbed by Brenda's actions in the final episode of last season when she delivered a man to his certain death. She has bent the rules on occasion but she followed a high standard that she was not allowed to pick and choose who should be punished. Where the evidence leads, that's where she would follow. I believe in one episode when a murderer who had been released on a technicality and was later murdered himself, Flynn wanted to let the crime slide, but Brenda did not. She told him that they were not allowed to decide who would be prosecuted and who would not. Yet there she is delivering a man (a vile piece of scum, certainly) to his death, a death not sanctified through the courts. I'm no lawyer, but I think her act was a criminal act. Compounding that, she involved some of her squad (against their wishes) in the crime. I'm going to predict that this final season will end with Brenda paying some sort of price. She will be fired, forced to resign, something like that. Edit: I forgot to say that my wife and I have enjoyed this show from day one. It has maintained a high quality of script, production values, and acting. Surely The Closer has one of the best (if not the best) ensemble of actors on TV today.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think you're right about Brenda's ultimate outcome. With Kyra Sedgwick leaving the series at the end of this season's 21 episodes (which will spill into next summer), something will have to happen to uproot her from her job, and this seems like the logical case to bring her down.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Last week’s episode with Taylor looking down into the grave and Fritz’s line about the suicide watch was hilarious. I can’t wait for this week’s episode since it will feature Flynn and Provenza. As for Brenda’s actions in last year’s season finale, if I recall correctly she did give the person an out but he refused to accept it so I don’t have a problem at all with the outcome. We all choose are own paths in life and sometimes the results are not what we want.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick_S said:
Last week’s episode with Taylor looking down into the grave and Fritz’s line about the suicide watch was hilarious. I can’t wait for this week’s episode since it will feature Flynn and Provenza. As for Brenda’s actions in last year’s season finale, if I recall correctly she did give the person an out but he refused to accept it so I don’t have a problem at all with the outcome. We all choose are own paths in life and sometimes the results are not what we want.
She probably (I don't remember exactly) gave him the choice of confess or I drop you off in a manner in which you're sure to die. Do you really want law officers making that kind choice? I'd prefer the courts do it. I personally hope that Brenda realizes the terrible choice she made and resigns because of it. If there's one thing that's bugged my about Taylor, it's the inconsistent writing for his character. He started out as an asshole and gradually became at least a grudging supporter of Brenda, even asking for her help. He was supportive of her applying for chief. Now he's an asshole again while he was temporarily in charge.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Johnny Angell said:
Spoilers aren't required here are they? I'm assuming not.
Why not? Because someone gave away one facet of the ending of the series last week that still hasn't been redacted? :f This season's comedy duo episode with Provenza and Flynn (and Buzz) was especially funny. Taylor hasn't necessarily changed at the core: out for himself. Willing to play nice to get ahead. Eager to take charge. Brenda did earn his respect, but that only goes so far.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
She probably (I don't remember exactly) gave him the choice of confess or I drop you off in a manner in which you're sure to die. Do you really want law officers making that kind choice? I'd prefer the courts do it. I personally hope that Brenda realizes the terrible choice she made and resigns because of it.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out this season I personal don't think she make a terrible mistake at all. These kinds of deals are offered all the time by law enforcement, without the courts being involved, so it was not that out of the ordinary. Sure for dramatic purposes they had them drive him home where in real life they would have just told him at the police station that his gang buddies all know what he did and he is on his own unless and then shown him the door. As for latest episode, it was another classic Flynn and Provenza episode. Some of the things that just had me rolling on the floor laughing: Provenza to Buzz: "Oh relax Buzz, I know an amazing guy in Koreatown. He'll buff this right out." Provenza: "This is totally containable". The fact that he seriously believes it makes it all the more funny. Fritz’s kidnap suspects drawings and the team’s reaction to seeing them. "Provenza-nomics"

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was a very funny episode this week, and everyone seemed to be playing it for laughs (i.e. a little broader than usual) to maximize the fun. It looked like it was as fun for them to shoot as it was fun for us to watch.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just watched the latest episode about the kidnapped girl. The show continues to maintain a high degree of compelling and moving drama. This one was so good I wanted another half hour just to see what the characters do in the aftermath of the events. I remain convinced that Brenda will, and should, suffer some sort of disgrace as the series ends. I just watched another rerun in which a serial child murderer is murdered himself. Brenda is her usual, relentless self in tracking down the killer and does not believe he deserves any slack for killing a monster. That's at least two episodes in which she clearly spells out to her team her ethical standards. She turned those standard upside down at the end of last season. And she involved her team in her actions. In this latest episode, it was made more explicit what happened to her "victim." They've been making Captain Raydor a more sympathetic character over at least the past two seasons. I wonder if they've had this character in mind as a lead in a spinoff for that long?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks