What's new

The Chronicles of Narnia - April 4th confirmed (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind extended cuts. As long as they let us know before the theatrical release. I for one always like longer versions of movies I enjoy.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Other reasons to buy...and I agree this is a trap but with LOTR the EE versions have superior image and audio due to the extras being shoved to an extra disc. Hopefully the 2 Disc CE we get with Narnia will be fine? I hate double dipping for sure, but some films like Narnia are worthy of upgrading.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

This is a tired arguement. As a general rule, I don't buy them. However I don't see why that means I can't still have a problem with it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for the TEASE DaVid! :D Please no screenshots of how great the BD will look for us non early adopters...:b :D

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

I guess it's okay to say you won't buy it (after all, studios do read these boards) but beyond that I'm puzzled why it matters?

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Why is the assumption that this Extended Edition will be better than the Theatrical Edition. This is why I'm not so quick to wait until November where we could get an inferior version of the film.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm not exactly sure what scenes would be extended for this film. I mean, they seemed to stretch the film out with several additions to the novel in the theatrical cut. There wasn't exactly a whole lot of story left on the cutting room floor as far as I can tell.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I agree with the length of the book I was actually surprised the movie was as long as it was.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I guess it is just the principle of the thing that irritates me, Chris. While a movie to a studio is probably purely product, to the cinephile it is also art, and I don't like to see an artist's work destroyed by adding unnecessary and inappropriate scenes back into a movie without the director's involvement just to make a quick buck. Again, its purely a principle thing, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to not buy something because of principles.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Paul:

I am on board with you 100 percent if we don't have involvement of the director. But do we have any evidence of that at this point?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

When I was making my original comments, I was speaking generically. When you say, "..do we have any evidence of that at this point?", I assume you are talking about The Chronicle of Narnia, right? If so, I don't know whether the director is involved or not. If so, I'm fine with it, especially because I thought the movie could've stood to be a bit longer for character development's sake, though I appear to be in the minority here. :)

I guess I miss the "good old days" when an extended cut was a rare treat and you were usually certain of a director's involvement. Nowadays, it is hard to tell. If anyone can suggest a good resource to find other whether a director is overseeing a revised cut of a film on DVD, please let me know, I'd love to find one.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While I would love a (good) extended cut of Narnia, I agree that extended cuts are not always better.

Some are:

LOTR, Dances With Wolves, Abyss.

Some aren't:

Amadeus (with no theatrical option on the disc :td)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Really. I think 160 minutes for a kids/family movie had to be a record already. That was the big problem with the 1st 2 movies that they tried to include every little scene from the books. The 3rd and 4th movies were better because they left things out in favor of a better flowing and more entertaining movie instead of just trying to film a book page by page. Imagine taking kids to a 3 hour version of the Apple Dumpling Gang or Herbie Rides again. Even though the LOTR movies had better Extended versions they still left big chunks of the book out that wouldn't work in the movie. They worked because the stories were more complex with many supporting characters with their own back stories and most of the books were longer.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I agree. The last two films felt like movies while the first two were more like a best of special.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Randy, I agree. That is why you have the extended versions as a special version seperate from the original releases. Like LoTR's did. And with the newer movies..They are not as kiddie as they used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks