What's new

The Chocolate War (1988) - who owns it? (1 Viewer)

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Keith Gordon's "The Chocolate War" is one of my favorite movies of the '80s and my copy of it is an ancient VHS taped off cable (I think). Does anyone know where the rights for it now sit? Will it be laying dormant forever or is it possible somebody might do something with it?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see this one, a great film.

The rights are probably in limbo. It was released by MCEG which is no more. Many of MCEG's films were released on DVD by Platinum DVD (the company of questionable legality that releases films for $6 in the oversize CD cases in Circuit City and Best Buy). I was always looking to see if they released this one, but I never saw it.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
MGM owns THE CHOCOLATE WAR and Keith Gordon's earlier screenwriting effort STATIC, which was directed by ONE HOUR PHOTO director Mark Romanek. I would love to see both of these released with commentary, as Gordon is a quite original and underrated director.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Mark is correct, they also own other MCEG titles like CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, LIMITS UP, CONVICTS, BREAKLING THE WAVES (which has been showing up under another title SKETCHES on cable, like DONT TELL HER ITS ME/BOYFRIEND SCHOOL) etc.

I assume COMMUNION had to be a pick up, for Elite released it on LD and DVD so they must have lost the rights to it?

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
With "Get Smart" now on my shelf and "The Crowd" apparently on the way from Warners, this is now my #1 most wanted title. Earlier this year Keith Gordon announced on the IMDB board for the movie that he had contributed extras to a DVD release, but since then the rights have changed hands from Sony to Fox and the projected date has gone from last summer to next spring. Gordon just posted with considerable frustration about the many delays, and I assume the DVD is still coming out, but I wanted to bump this thread just to indicate if anyone is paying attention that there are people who really want this movie released!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks