The call me Bruce (Evil Dead)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd stone, Feb 10, 2006.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

2. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    From brucecampbell.com

"They Call Me Bruce is being produced by Dark Horse Indie, the new joint venture production company created by Dark Horse Entertainment and Image Entertainment. Popular actor and Oregon resident Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead, Army of Darkness) is set to star and direct. He will also produce the project with another Oregon resident, Dark Horse president Mike Richardson.

They Call Me Bruce is the tale of a small town set upon by demons after a group of teen-agers unwittingly unleash an ancient curse. Campbell, playing himself, is kidnapped off the set of a B horror movie and, despite his protestations that he's just an actor, is forced to play the role of his heroic movie character in order to save the town. Mark Verheiden (The Mask, TimeCop) is writing the screenplay. Production is scheduled for early 2006 in southern Oregon."

Doug

3. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Yep...it's real. At this point, I don't think they have a distributor, so expect a release push a la BUBBA HO TEP with Bruce travelling and speaking to fans. It should be great!

4. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

Maybe there will be a scene where Johnny Yune comes in to help Bruce save the day. [​IMG]

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Bruce Campbell is one of just a couple of actors that I would blindly follow into hell and ask no questions, the man can do no wrong with me.

Although, I think that a better title would be If Chins Could Kill. [​IMG]

6. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I've had the pleasure of meeting Bruce at a couple book signings here in Portland (the guy sure seems to love Oregon). Once in November of '02 and again just a few months ago at Music Millineum (for any other Portlanders here on the boards who also happened to have gone to that same signing, I was there too!) Funny story, the first time when he read the post-it with my name on it, he said "Is it 'Bear'?". The second time he said "Is it 'Bean'?". The second time I told him about the first time, and he laughed and said something like "Is that right?". He's a really funny guy.

7. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Assuming that's a real movie they're really going to make, it sounds fucking brilliant, to quote Bono. Totally there for that.

8. Stephen Lilley

Stephen Lilley Stunt Coordinator

I was lucky enough to attend one of Bruce's book signings on the MAKE LOVE! THE BRUCE CAMPBELL WAY tour this summer, and when he mentioned this project during a Q&A session before the event the crowd went insane.

I myself thought it was one of the most original, clever ideas I had ever heard - until I realized it's essentially a horror version of THE THREE AMIGOS!.

But whatever. As someone else said, its Bruce Campbell. He could be like "You're going to give me $8.50, and I'm going to punch you in the face for two hours", and I'd be perfectly okay with that.

9. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I was also at a book signing and a screening of "Man with the Screaming Brain" in Dallas and he did Q&A beforehand where he confirmed this movie. I will follow him anywhere.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Or Galaxy Quest, for that matter. The most unique aspect of this film, tho, is that Bruce is playing himself, rather than a fictional actor. Course, Bruce is pretty good at playing himself. [​IMG]

Jason

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

They still need to change the name. There will be only one "They Call Me Bruce?" in my eyes. Are they purposely trying to do an association with the 80's film? The movies are sorta similar but no demons in the 1982 flick.[​IMG]

There was a sequel to "They Call Me Bruce?" called "They Still Call Me Bruce?" Maybe they can call this movie "They Call This Other Guy Bruce Too." [​IMG]

12. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Amen.

13. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

"Take a good look at me... I'm Oriental!"

"What's the most important thing in life?"
    "Broads!"

:lol:

I may have to give that movie a rent. It's cheesy. [​IMG]

14. James T

James T Screenwriter

I heard about this movie awhile ago. I didn't realize it actually got off the ground.

I think it sounds like a great idea. A New Nightmare had a similar idea and it turned out pretty good.

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    This sounds like fun, although I hope the actual production fairs better than "The Man With The Screaming Brain" did, which was almost painful in it's execution. If Bruce wasn't in it, it would of been unwatchable, but fortunately he was.

I had completely forgotten about hits movie!! I used to watch it all the time as a kid1 Is it available in R1?

16. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Amazingly yes! Madacy put out a disc about three years ago. It can be found for under ten bucks at B&M's or online. The picture quality isn't reference or anything but it beats the hell out of my old VHS copy. Oddly, the "You are a 10 where you should be a 36" scene is edited.

Who ever thought Bruce Campbell could unite fans of Johnny Yune? Is there anything he can't do?

17. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

Sorry to go off-topic, but has anyone heard anything about "They Still Call Me Bruce" coming to DVD? I mean, Johnny Yune and Donald Gibb in the same movie! [​IMG]

18. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

I hear there were/are limited screenings around the country, opened on
    Halloween this year, an old thread but that's what the search function
    brought up [​IMG]

has anyone on this board seen the movie yet?

Any word of a wide release ?

G2

19. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I've only seen the trailer that was posted on MySpace.

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I might try to go see one of his screenings. The one in his home town might be pretty fun too. I believe he debuted the film at the Ashland, OR Film Festival, which I totally would have gone to if I'd known.