What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
So, if this has been an issue for a couple of years now, exactly what is Warner doing to track down decent prints? Who have they contacted? I have not heard of any ads placed in The Big Reel nor have I heard of any prominent film dealers or collectors being contacted. And what about other syndicators from before Warner had the Monogram catalog? Have they contacted any of them?

I can tell you for a fact that there is a 16mm print of the movie at the UCLA Film archive. The quality of the print would have to be verified. Has Warner even done this?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Those are all excellent suggestions made by Hank!

While I am certain that Warner Brothers Home Entertainment is sincere about wanting to release THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD for no more reason than the tremendous demand for such I doubt whether anything has really been constructively done to secure better quality prints for the substandard ones currently in their possession.

One nagging problem with the chronological order suggestion is that the Stanley Clements films (likely the least popular in the series) would be lumped together as one group making the final couple of volumes the least desired and purchased in the entire collection.

In this sense it would be a better strategical move to mix the films thereby dispersing the latter ones with Stanley Clements thoughout the entire collection (say one per volume).

In my opinion a mix of the excellent, good and fair would make for better balanced viewing than strictly adhering to the films as originally released theatrically.

Jeff T.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
JeffT. said:
Those are all excellent suggestions made by Hank!
While I am certain that Warner Brothers Home Entertainment is sincere about wanting to release THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD for no more reason than the tremendous demand for such I doubt whether anything has really been constructively done to secure better quality prints for the substandard ones currently in their possession.
One nagging problem with the chronological order suggestion is that the Stanley Clements films (likely the least popular in the series) would be lumped together as one group making the final couple of volumes the least desired and purchased in the entire collection.
In this sense it would be a better strategical move to mix the films thereby dispersing the latter ones with Stanley Clements thoughout the entire collection (say one per volume).
In my opinion a mix of the excellent, good and fair would make for better balanced viewing than strictly adhering to the films as originally released theatrically.
Jeff T.
I disagree. This mix the the 'good, bad, and the ugly' is exactly the approach not to take.
Warners delivers excellence by delivering excellence. To wash it down is the approach other studios have done. Now, if they want to be perceived as the same as all the rest, that's the approach to take.
What you're suggesting is what was done (at least in the U.S) with the Bond boxsets; put the stinkers in with the ones people really care about.
Most people believe that the later Twilight Zone episodes were not as good as the first couple of years. They did mix them up before putting them out in season sets. Hopefully they learned from this mistake.
I would also question whether they would sell more sets that way. Word-of-mouth takes off when something is wonderful, not when something is so-so.
Completists will get all of them. The majority of people never will so why in the world plan it that way?
Now, not releasing material because it's hoped a better print will come along ... that's a different issue. And for that issue I'm not hung up on chronological order. But issuing sets simply to balance the perceived level of interest in the shows ... that I'm against.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
What I said was "the excellent, good and the fair."

The whole point of this discussion is that Warner Brothers Home Entertainment wants to know just how it can proceed with a DVD release of THE BOWERY BOYS films...not hiow can they keep the anxious fans waiting even longer!

None of the examples you mentioned failed to sell and that is what counts.

Because there will be some films in the catalogue bypassed strict chronological order will still not have been maintained and in this instance I really don't see that it is a necessary requisite.

There is absolutely no ongoing storyline or sequel involved in any of these films and a balanced selection of diverse titles for each volume will (in my opinion) make for more interesting viewing.

Eventually people (likely) get to the point that they view only their favourite films in the series anyway.

And there is still the (potential) problem of the latter Stanley Clements bloc that are probably better served integrated individually into each volume.

Jeff T.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Even though I have fun with this series, none of them are "excellent" movies. They're all rather interchangeable, and one is "ordinary" while another may be, at best, "pretty good" or "good". I think that newbies to the series will find that there's not much difference, and they may wonder what all this fuss is about.

Just put them out already.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Folks,
I am now going to take this "sticky" thread down.
I have spoken with Warner Bros. and they are highly appreciative
of the participation within this thread.
The studio has let me know that your input HAS made a difference,
that they will be moving forward with a game plan now sooner rather
than later, taking a basically chronological approach, but extracting
problem titles for the time being until better elements are found.
Thank You everyone!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Ronald Epstein said:
appreciative
of the participation within this thread.
The studio has let me know that your input HAS made a difference,
that they will be moving forward with a game plan now sooner rather
than later, taking a basically chronological approach, but extracting
problem titles for the time being until better elements are found.
Thank You everyone!
Great news! This makes a lot of sense. Thank you WHV. I look forward to buying these when they are available.
Steve

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I too am very glad to hear the approach they will take. It absolutely is the right move. I can wait for a few problem pictures to show up later on as long as a basic chronological order is followed. That was key in my book.
Gary "thanks to HTF and WHV" O.

Steven Patrick

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I found this thread in the process of running a Google search on The Bowery Boys. I am so glad to find out that there are many others, like myself, who appreciate this classic movie series.

I am wondering if you could tell me how to get an update from WB on a potential release date.

I am also wondering if you have any information as to the potential release of quality DVD complete sets of the works "the Boy's" did when they were known as, "The Dead End Kids", "Little Tough Guys", and the "East Side Kids"?

I realize that during the twenty years that this group of actors made these films, there were several different studios involved.

I have been trying to get an update from WB, as to when we might expect to see the Bowery Boys material released. I have been trying for two months now, still to no avail. Following the advice of the WB operator, I called (818) 954-6000, spoke with a person who said the protocol is leave one's request with her, and she will have the correct party return the phone call with the information requested. After repeated attempts, still no answer.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just thought I'd bump up this thread to see if there's been any progress in Warner getting these films out? Lately a friend and myself have had that old urge to watch the Bowery Boys comedies, and it's been really frustrating that all we've had available for the present time are 6 measly official Warner VHS releases from way back in 1992 (!!) as well as weak off-the-air recordings (and in some cases, multiple generation dupes from other collectors!). What's the current status?

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm tired of looking at a fifth-generation dupe of CRASHING LAS VEGAS where all the Boys' mugs look blurry. I want to see Slip Mahoney's bloodshot eyes and shaky mannerisms in crystal clear digital! It would also be great to get a digital gander at Phyllis Coates' gams in BLUES BUSTERS.
htf_imgcache_27007.jpeg

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Count me as curious for an update also. From the first post of this thread from July of last year...
films out rather quickly.
Given that announcements are approximately 3 months ahead of release date we're looking at Summer 2008 as the earliest the first batch would be released. I'm all for waiting until WHV feels that they can put a quality release out profitably and have no desire to make them commit to a date that may have to change, but it's still a valid question to ask if these releases are still on track or did something happen to further delay them?
Steve

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Usually every February there is a live online chat conducted by the Home Theater Forum with Warner Brothers Home Entertainment representatives pertaining to their upcoming DVD releases but this year seems to be an exception.

Warner Brothers will probably keep everyone waiting an inordinate amount of time ultimately making available only what has been deemed their best existing prints rather than having constructively been performing the expected digitally remastering and full restoration of pristine video transfers which anxious Bowery Boys fans would naturally expect having been kept waiting so long for.

Of course the three 1950s Allied Artists 1950s SF B-film programmers where newly remastered so there is always hope that Warner Brothers will do the necessary work as befitting a quality DVD release of a highly popular and entertaining classic comedy film series.

If The Bowery Boys films were not in high demand than Warner Brothers wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to consult prospective consumers on just how to go about properly marketing this film franchise.

I reiterate if it will expediate things than how about a Best of The Bowery Boys sampler just to get something positive going in the interim?!

Hopefully something pertaining to a Bowery Boys DVD release will finally manifest itself at least by the year's end.

Jeff T.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Steve...O said:
I'm all for waiting until WHV feels that they can put a quality release out profitably and have no desire to make them commit to a date that may have to change, but it's still a valid question to ask if these releases are still on track or did something happen to further delay them?
Yes. But as for "profitably", sooner has to be much better than later, because the core audience for these movies aren't getting any younger. The main consumers who'll go right out and buy these releases no-questions-asked will be the people in their late 40s, 50s, and over - those who grew up with these movies on TV or saw them in theaters. Waiting another 10 years or more for 20-somethings who think Huntz Hall is a type of tomato paste aren't going to be giving WB the better sales numbers they'd like to have.
Now it sounds like we're going over old familiar territory, but I still don't see the need for EVERY SINGLE FILM in this series to look immaculate. If you have 40 of the 48 films looking pristine, but the elements on 8 of them are not so phenomenal, I say release those too the best you can (perhaps with an explanation at the beginning as to the condition of elements) and let's go. Some things just aren't going to be as spiffy as others, and this has occurred with other film series as well. Is the option to wait another 10 years or not to ever get them at all, if the studio feels they're not sparkling enough? I'd rather have them all from WB and not have to depend on other options. Not all the Tarzans looked as wonderful as some others, for example.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
JeffT. said:
I reiterate if it will expediate things than how about a Best of The Bowery Boys sampler just to get something positive going in the interim?!
Hopefully something pertaining to a Bowery Boys DVD release will finally manifest itself at least by the year's end.
But I hope it's not the same situation that occurred in 1992 -- six films put out on home video, and then "goodnight" for 16 years (and counting). I also want the later 1950s films more than the '40s ones! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Usually every February there is a live online chat conducted by the Home Theater Forum with Warner Brothers Home Entertainment representatives pertaining to their upcoming DVD releases but this year seems to be an exception.

We have invited the studio to partake in a chat here many times
and they seem to have gone silent in responding to us.
We also can't seem to get any update on the status of The
Bowery Boys releases. One would have hoped that these would
start trickling out by now.
We are somewhat confused by the lack of response from a
studio that has always been easy to communicate with. Warner
seems to be holding their cards very close these days and I
think there are just a lot of internal changes being made over
there (with the dissolve of New Line) that are putting their
priorities elsewhere.
In any event, we wish the Warner folks the very best. They
are a real joy to deal with, and have always taken a very
special interest in this forum and the opinions of its membership.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Joe Karlosi said:
Yes. But as for "profitably", sooner has to be much better than later, because the core audience for these movies aren't getting any younger. The main consumers who'll go right out and buy these releases no-questions-asked will be the people in their late 40s, 50s, and over - those who grew up with these movies on TV or saw them in theaters. Waiting another 10 years or more for 20-somethings who think Huntz Hall is a type of tomato paste aren't going to be giving WB the better sales numbers they'd like to have.
No doubt it's a declining market for The Bowery Boys with consumers either dying off or just not (largely) active consumers of video products. There is also no doubt that a film sitting inactive is cash in the wrong form.
Unfortunately, there may be other factors that may affect the release schedule. Fall titles did not do as expected, even for first run releases. With concerns about the economy and the trends that aren't looking good since Fall, some releases may be postponed. The problem for the studios is they make their money on a DVD in the first 12 weeks of release. So the timing of a release is critical. Naturally, film box sets tend to get Fall releases as gift purchases are critical.
The Bowery Boys is a tough title. Guys tend to be into films more than woman but the demographics of The Bowery Boys (like The Stooges) has to even be more so. The problem being is that women more often then men buy the gifts. Will a woman know or even appreciate that their husband, brother, father or father-in-law likes The Bowery Boys?
Of course, this last bit will be true at any time for The Bowery Boys sales, so it may come down to the state of the economy. We may be enjoying some of the heavy discounting as a reaction to slower sales that is occurring but the other edge of the sword is the studios' interest in releasing titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks