What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Russ AM

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell
LouA said:
I just got this today from MU . Real DVDs and great quality. If you haven't ordered this yet , you can still get real DVDs from MU.
First post here on the forums. :) I've read a lot of these for a while before signing on after going through this Bowery Boys thread. Thanks for the MU "real DVD" tip! I got my copy of the Vol 1 set from them two days ago, and I'm pleased with the quality of my purchase. Looking forward to more BB in the future!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Warner Archives has released a double feature: Dead End Kids on Dress Parade and Hell's Kitchen.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't want to be negative, but there seems to have been a few posts regarding the supposed release date/month of the second Bowery Boys volume without ANY clarified source. A recent search I did uncovered nothing concrete in this area (Including the Warner Archive, itself!). Does somebody know something the rest of us don't? Warner Archive's stated intention of releasing ALL four volumes within a year causes me to assume that each set SHOULD be issued about every four months (Or sooner!) to fit that time frame. As the first set was released last November, the months of release for Volumes 2-4 should be March, July, and November 2013. This is just speculation on my part! DEFINITE clarification regarding this matter (For Volume 2, at least!) would be most welcome! CHEERS!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by tony bensley
I don't want to be negative, but there seems to have been a few posts regarding the supposed release date/month of the second Bowery Boys volume without ANY clarified source. A recent search I did uncovered nothing concrete in this area (Including the Warner Archive, itself!). Does somebody know something the rest of us don't?
Warner Archive's stated intention of releasing ALL four volumes within a year causes me to assume that each set SHOULD be issued about every four months (Or sooner!) to fit that time frame. As the first set was released last November, the months of release for Volumes 2-4 should be March, July, and November 2013. This is just speculation on my part!
DEFINITE clarification regarding this matter (For Volume 2, at least!) would be most welcome!
CHEERS!
It will come when Warner is ready to announce it. I suspect early spring for the next one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Personally, I am not looking for Warner to rush these releases. I suspect the studio is still hoping to find precious elements for these releases, and if they have to hold up releases to do so, I am all for it. At least we know Warner is committed to getting these titles out.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
tony bensley said:
I just checked Bowery Boys producer Jan Grippo's imdb page, and what I found is a bit curious, indeed! Apparently he was an agent who partnered with client Leo Gorcey for the Bowery Boys series. Other than the 23 BB films he produced between 1946 and 1951, there was only one other film that Jan Grippo worked on, as Associate producer for VALENTINO, released in March, 1951. What caused Jan to completely stop producing films after LET'S GO NAVY's release in July, 1951? Did he go back to just being an agent, perhaps? CHEERS!
A further Valentino connection: When Ken Russell made his film of VALENTINO (1977), he cast Huntz Hall in the role of Jesse Lasky.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The latest update on Volume 2 was on 1/31 as a Facebook reply
We're in the midst of remastering the next 12 films.....we hope to be wrapping up V2 shortly.
I'd guess it'll be a March or April release myself. Hopefully Andy Hardy Vol 2 shows up in that time frame as well.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
JoHud said:
The latest update on Volume 2 was on 1/31 as a Facebook reply I'd guess it'll be a March or April release myself. Hopefully Andy Hardy Vol 2 shows up in that time frame as well.
When they Released Volume 1 they said that they planned to release the remaining 3 volumes within a year which would be 1 every 4 months so I would say sometime in March is a Very safe bet for Volume 2.

BigBen

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Nunz
I'm pumped, because my sons ordered Volume 1 for me, for my 54th Birthday on 2/20. And I'm definitely looking forward to enjoying some TRUE classic TV! Should be here in a few days!!! Then I'll look forward to Volume TWOOOO... LOL... BigBen

Russ AM

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell
I'm relatively new to the Warner Archive experience, so I need to ask: should we expect the remaining BB volumes to have an initial DVD pressing available through WA (and, apparently, Movies Unlimited)? I'm thinking this may not be the case, so correct me if I'm wrong. Whether they are or not, I'll still buy the other sets, 'natch. Heck, I even bought a second (DVD-r) copy just for watching them on a small TV in my exercise room while I work out! BTW, if anyone has seen the page for BB Vol. 1 on Amazon lately, you may notice some new product details have been recently added to its listing. Guess who contributed that additional info? :D

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Did the DVD-R set come from Movies Unlimited ? I'm wondering if they are sold out of the factory pressings. Like you, I hope all four Bowery Boys sets will be regular factory pressed sets.

Russ AM

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell
LouA said:
Did the DVD-R set come from Movies Unlimited ? I'm wondering if they are sold out of the factory pressings. Like you, I hope all four Bowery Boys sets will be regular factory pressed sets.
To clarify, I got my DVD-r set at Amazon (used a gift card). If you're trying for a pressed version of BB Vol. 1 at MU, give it a shot.:)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Russ AM said:
To clarify, I got my DVD-r set at Amazon (used a gift card). If you're trying for a pressed version of BB Vol. 1 at MU, give it a shot.:)
It is my assumption that the DVD-Rs would be a purplish or bluish color on the playing side of the DVD's (Mine are not, which makes me think they are pressed.). Do you know if that is the case, Russ? CHEERS!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how Volume One is selling? I'm curious if WB could have released them as standard DVD sets (not that I'm complaining in this case, with an early 'pressed' copy!)..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks