The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Peter Scarfe, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Peter Scarfe

Peter Scarfe Auditioning

Have been waiting far too long for this title. Does anyone know who owns the movie or whether there is a problem?
    Not asking for much-commentaries by Joseph McGrath, Sir Richard Attenborough, Shirley Maclaine, James Booth...

2. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Paramount released it on VHS and I imagine that they still retain the rights. John Cleese is in it also. It is actually based on a true story!!! Showtime did a straight version of the real story.

3. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    I got a copy from satellite, but I don't know if it ever got a VHS release in the US. I emailed Shirley MacLaine's webmaster in regards to John Goldfarb, Please Come Home getting a release and here's the response:

"The reason it is not on VHS or DVD is the
    demographics. The distributors don't feel that it is strong enough demographic
    wise to be released in these formats."

The response was quick and friendly. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask about BLISS.

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM was released on laserdisc in North America by Paramount, in the early-mid 1990s (I own a copy), so it's not much of a stretch to believe that Paramount's DVD division will get around to it sooner or later, especially considering how deeply they're delving into their back catalog for DVD these days.

I love the movie, one of my favorite unsung comedies of the 1960s, and would very much like to own an anamorphically enhanced DVD of it. Please consider it soon, Paramount.

5. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    That's for the laser release info. I'll have to try to find a copy, just in case the DVD doesn't happen.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Whenever studios make this statement (and they seem to do it with some regularity) I always wast to say to them Fine, that is perfectly understandable...give it to Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Synapse, Image etc. etc. I'm sure one of these houses would love to put many of these obscure/lesser known films in your vault out on this format.

If there is one Shirley MacLaine film that I would like to see released on DVD it would be The Possession of Joel Delaney (1972), a subtle quiet little thriller with an ending shot that sticks with me as being very creepy indeed.

7. margaret l

margaret l Auditioning

What do you have to do to get a gem like this released?

8. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Legend Films released THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY and DESPERATE CHARACTERS, two Shirley MacLaine films distributed by Paramount. I don't know if their licensing deal with Paramount will go beyond those titles already agreed on, but THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM 's only possibility on DVD would be on in the Legend Film venue.

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Funny, I posted that back in 2005 and The Possession of Joel Delaney was only recently released on DVD.....better late than never I suppose.