What's new

The "Blind Buy" Blu-ray Purchase you regret the most? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Jingles

Agent
Real Name
Alex
What title did you purchase blindly -- either by overwhelming positive reviews by critics or perhaps members of an Internet forum such as this -- only to find out it was a complete dud?

I'll list two that I will never watch again...

legend.jpg
tree.jpg

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Most recently DEATH SHIP (1980). A horror movie from the 80s, which, for me, by all rights should have been a keeper. Never saw it growing up, bu I remember the trailer, which scared me. Saw the movie a few weeks ago for the first time ever and it bored me to tears.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A recent blind purchase, based on member recommendations, I greatly regret....

women.jpg

30 minutes in....and off it went.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
No specific bluray ones (yet).

With that being said, I would have more regrets on something crappy that I paid $20 for, than for something crappy that I paid $2 or $3 for.

I have many crappy $2 movies that I don't have any major regets buying. Though I would certainly have major regets if I had paid $15 or $20 (or more) for these same movies.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I will admit that I winced a bit when I saw this film being recommended as a blind buy. I love this film, but I am the only person within my cadre of friends that does.
Ronald Epstein said:

attachicon.gif
women.jpg

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Mr. Jingles said:
I love that film (tree of Life) but I'm waiting in case a Criterion shows up.
(I know, i know, the bluray is excellent, but I wanted to match with the other Mallick Criterion Blurays).

I'm very careful with my purchases so, I rarely do a blind buy.
Of the 4-5 blind buys i did, i didn't like The Leopard so much, but I don't regret purchasing it.
I want to give it another chance with a clearer mind.
And even if i don't like it again, at least I love the music/costumes/cinematography/sets etc. so again I wouldn't regret it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The Woman In Black with Daniel Radcliffe. Ugh! I got it on sale but still ...... I've since tossed it into my "trade in" bag.

I can understand Mr. Epstein's rejection of The Women. I moderately enjoy it myself but it can be grating at times. I find that one should be ultra cautious when recommending so called "classic" films to others. Just because we love them doesn't mean everyone else will. When Mr. Epstein asked about Witness For The Prosecution as a blind buy, I believe I was the only naysayer while others swooned over it. I may be wrong but why do I suspect that Mr. Epstein's reaction may well be the same as for The Women?

Keep us posted, Ronald Epstein.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Well, not a "blind buy" as far as having never seen the movie, but for fear of flogging a dead horse, the 2 Blu-rays I regret the most are My Fair Lady and especially Spartacus. Can't even watch the latter having seen the Robert Harris restoration in 70 mm. Ever since these two discs I have never pre-ordered until I have seen some reviews.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The Conjuring, based on the recommendations of members here and the reviews. Derivative and not scary at all. Although I do like the less-is-more approach of the early scenes. Gave it to a friend's son.

Dazed and Confused. Didn't hate it, but I doubt I will ever watch again. Not a "revist-er."

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Barbarella - I was expecting a sexy but campy bit of fun, perhaps in the style of the Flash Gordon movie. But it's actually just terrible.

Mrs. Miniver - After watching Criterion's David Lean Blu-ray set which included films like "In Which We Serve" and "This Happy Breed", I found this Hollywood depiction of life during wartime England to be particularly phony and ultimately rather dull and pointless. The actors could not be bothered to affect English accents either.

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Ronald Epstein said:

attachicon.gif
women.jpg

Hey Ron, if you want to get rid of it, please let me know. Rosalind is one of my favorites.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ronald Epstein said:

attachicon.gif
women.jpg

I slogged through The Women once Ron - on Laserdisc IIRC - because I was curious about its Technicolor sequence somewhere around the midpoint.

The rest was a blur; I might have finished it...but never again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks