What's new

The Birth Of A Nation (Sundance Sensation) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Trailer is out. Looks powerful. Can't wait to see it.

From Deadline

http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-birth-of-a-nation-trailer-nate-parker-sundance-1201738414/

"Submit yourselves to your masters in all respect.” Here’s the first teaser trailer for The Birth of a Nation, which won the Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award at Sundance — and drew a record $17.5 million pickup. The film, which drew comparisons in Park City not only to 12 Years a Slave but also Schindler’s List, will get an awards-season release via FoxSearchlight

This two-minute look at the film directed by and starring Nate Parker is set to Nina Simone’s chilling cover of the Billie Holiday classic “Strange Fruit.” The setting is the pre-war South; Nat Turner (Parker) is a literate slave and preacher whose financially strapped owner (Armie Hammer) accepts an offer to use Nat’s preaching to subdue unruly slaves. As he witnesses countless atrocities — against himself and his fellow slaves — Nat orchestrates an uprising in the hope of leading his people to freedom.

The film also stars Jackie Earle Haley, Gabrielle Union, Penelope Ann Miller, Mark Boone Junior and Aja Naomi King. Parker produced it with Jason Michael Berman, Aaron L. Gilbert, Preston L. Holmes and Kevin Turen. Have a look at the teaser above and decide whether it’s tougher to watch or to look away.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
it looks like an epic telling of an important historical event. I won't be watching, though, for the same reason I won't watch Roman Polanski or Woody Allen movies. There are some transgressions where I can still separate the art from artist, and there are some (alleged) transgressions where I can't.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would think Parkers alleged "transgression" is the worse of the three. Tough call. I want to see the film. But should I? [emoji848]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would think Parkers alleged "transgression" is the worse of the three.
I dunno, Polanski:
drugged and anally raped a 13-year-old girl.

Tough call. I want to see the film. But should I? [emoji848]
I think that's a personal decision. I certainly don't think any less of people who can make that separation. Speaking personally, not only do I not want to contribute financially to people with those sorts of allegations against them, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the art, because my discomfort at the artist would be eating away at me the whole time.

On the flip side, there's no question that Annie Hall, Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown are important pillars in the canon of American cinema. And Parker promises to be a challenging new voice in a long neglected and underrepresented corner of that canon.

But I just can't do it. The fact he wrote the screenplay with his fellow assailant, who was convicted of rape by a jury of his peers (later thrown out when his victim couldn't emotionally bear to get back onto the witness stand during the appeal), shows a singular lack of remorse.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The reason I thought it was worse was because the victim killed herself in this case due to constant harassment from them.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wait - is a remake of the D. W. Griffith film?

**edit**
Okay, after watching the trailer I guess it's not - but that's still really weird marketing.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I was real excited when Zelig was finally announced, but then I rewatched Crimes & Misdemeanors, and then Dylan Farrows piece came out. The combination of those two, personally, creeped me out to where I cant enjoy Woody Allen movies anymore.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw this a few days ago and while the performances are excellent and effecting, the actors deserve a better movie. I think alot of the hype came from Hollywood wanting to tout any halfway decent 'black' movie that came down the pike in an effort to show they weren't racist during last year's Oscars controversy. If this movie doesn't get any Oscar nominations, it won't be because of Nate Parker's past, it'll be because the movie turns into a violent Death Wish-style revenge picture after being a historical drama.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I watched it earlier this month and really enjoyed it. I thought it was quite haunting and emotionally draining. I thought the performances were excellent but sadly the film is always going to be known as a disaster at the box office. Not to mention the issues with the director.

Look, I posted this on a separate thread but I can easily separate what an actor/director/producer does away from the film in question. I honestly thought the film would flop no matter what and I really don't think THIS is the reason it did. People want A BOO HALLOWEEN. They really don't want pictures like this. They want Kevin Hart. There are exceptions to this but for the most part people don't want to watch two hours of a sad issue.

I will say, it's pretty shocking how many unintentional connections this film will end up having to the Griffith version.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched 'The Birth of a Nation' tonight (now available for rental). My wife and I agreed it is an excellent film. We were riveted. Highly recommended! The Booth Bijou gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

As for the rape allegations against Parker in 1999, he was found innocent. Anyone avoiding this film based on the allegations should read this timeline (and other information you can find) and draw their own conclusion.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/timeline-of-the-nate-parker-rape-scandal.html

Do your own research from multiple sources and draw our own conclusions.

BTW, Parker's accuser killed herself about 11-12 years after the alleged harrasement.

Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks