What's new

The Bionic Woman: Season 2 audio defect (1 Viewer)

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Scratch my questions. I figured out what everyone is talking about. I was really wondering when I was watching the dvd's if the 2nd bionic replacement text was in all opening of the first season when it originally aired. I know it never was like that in syndication that I had remembered.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Got the replacement disc today, only took 2 weeks... no too bad. It was extremely well packaged (jewel case inside a padded mailer inside another padded mailer). I'll check it out tonight. *** Just watched parts 1 and 2, no problems at all.

goaldiggers

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Sattler
Hank E said:
Got the replacement disc today, only took 2 weeks... no too bad. It was extremely well packaged (jewel case inside a padded mailer inside another padded mailer). I'll check it out tonight. *** Just watched parts 1 and 2, no problems at all.
My experience was like yours. I emailed my address to Universal on July 8 and received my disc yesterday. I consider it a really fast turnaround considering I had to wait for the mailer to send back my defective disc. It was packaged as described above and the episode in question ("Deadly Ringer") sounded great. I am very happy at how Universal handled the problem.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Hank E said:
Just got mine. Like you said... took about two weeks. I haven't popped it in yet to see the improvement... but going by your post I am not worried. Thanks. :)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I've been waiting to hear how the replacement process went, so now that it sounds like a good fix, I just went ahead and ordered the Season 2 set from Amazon. It was cheaper than last time I checked too!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stell

Thanks for the info!. I see that the Empire page apparently erronously listed "Lionsgate" studio with BW S3.

The Uni S3 release date was also mentioned along with an early look at the cover art in Bill Hunt's column over at the Digital Bits today here .

Good news for a fast track release to complete the series.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
tvhowsondvd.com just Confirmed this is official. :D Just hope the issues that fouled up Season Two don't affect this one as well! :rolleyes:

MattHR

Screenwriter
After the (multiple) screw-ups on the S1 and S2 sets, we should start placing bets as to what we expect will be wrong with the S3 release. (Actually, since it's my least-favorite season of the series and the one I'll hardly ever watch, I'm expecting it to be flawless in every way). —Matt The Pessimist

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Wow, that was pretty quick. Season two is definitely my fav (as well as most people I assume). But season 3 is my second fav, followed by season 1. I think the reason being is that, while season 3 had some bad episodes, there were still more good episodes (for me) than there were in season 1. You're right though! After the first two seasons issues, this one will probably be perfect.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
I would like to ask this: How many of you from Canada have received already the corrected disc, after receiving the email saying that we don't need to send the defective one? I got the email from Deluxe on July 11th but still received no disc.

MattHR

Screenwriter
A member at the Yahoo bionicfans group posted comparison clips as examples of the widespread audio problems on the Bionic Woman: Season 2 set. The clip is from "The Night Demon" episode, and is a great example of the major audio problem that exists in the set. Sometimes it's the music and/or sound FX tracks that are muffled, but in the example clip it's the dialog track that suffers from being muffled. Notice how the FX track is overbearing, making the characters sound like they're trying to be heard through a windstorm. Clip 1 from the accurate R4 edition Clip 2 from the flawed R1 edition Even though Universal made corrections to the "Deadly Ringer-Part I" episode, there are still far too many other problems that need to be corrected.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Yeah. All Bionic Woman fans have been fooled. Since the beginning, I've been asking for a total new sound process of half of the episodes contained on the season 2 box set.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Wow, I have to admit that is terrible, Matt. Thanks for the side-by-side comparison on Youtube. Does the R2 set suffer from the same problem as the R1, or is it more like the R4?

Gary 'it really is amazing to me that there have been this many problems on the R1 set" O.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
Wow, I have to admit that is terrible, Matt. Thanks for the side-by-side comparison on Youtube. Does the R2 set suffer from the same problem as the R1, or is it more like the R4?

Gary 'it really is amazing to me that there have been this many problems on the R1 set" O.
Hi Gary, I have all three seasons of The Bionic Woman from each of the R2/R4 countries (U.K., Australia, Germany), and they all utilized the same masters. While the video transfers are all excellent (but not quite up to the quality of the new R1 transfers), their audio tracks are all perfect. That's what makes the R1 release such a huge disappointment. Since flawless masters do in fact exist, there is no excuse for the R1 set to have been released as it was—or to be fully corrected at this stage. Matt "I won't be satisfied until BW:S2 is fully remastered to its original glory" H.

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I watched that episode the other day and I thought something was off. Since I bought my season 2 set late, I never got to experience the defective disc of Deadly Ringer that everyone talked about. Was this how the first 9 min's of Deadly Ringer sounded before they corrected it?

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I'm still waiting for my replacement disc to arrive in the mail. They said 3 - 4 weeks so should be arriving hopefully any day now. :)

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Some minor quibbles with stuff upthread: The original Season 1 opening was used for the first 3 episodes, "Welcome Home, Jaime," "Welcome Home, Jaime, Part II" and "Angel of Mercy." The show had a short break at that point (Lindsay had been in a car accident) and when the show returned for "A Thing of the Past," the text "Second Bionic Replacement Complete" was removed and the sepia tone used for portions of the sequence was gone. Even then, the opening "data" was unusually dark for "A Thing of the Past," and this was fixed for the following ep, "Claws." This was the version used for the rest of the season. The R1 DVD of Season 1 uses the video of the original intro from the first 3 episodes for the entire season - but the audio is not similarly conformed, so the music for each intro matches the original broadcast. The Six Million Dollar Man did indeed have a "short intro." After Season 1, where the intro was an even minute, it was reworked, adding the "wireframe" graphics, changing Oscar's narration, and adding the full Oliver Nelson theme to the end, bringing the run time up to 1:20. But: for the third episode of Season 2, "Pilot Error," the intro reverted back to one minute - but not to the prior season's version! "Pilot Error" is a partly a cut down of the new intro, with elements from the old Season 1 version, with a unique musical sting at the end. Finally, in Season 4 "The Ultimate Imposter" (sic) had a cut down of the late-season intro. Six only did this twice, so it's understandable that it's less well-known than The Bionic Woman's regular use of a short intro.

MattHR

Screenwriter
mark40511 said:
I watched that episode the other day and I thought something was off. Since I bought my season 2 set late, I never got to experience the defective disc of Deadly Ringer that everyone talked about. Was this how the first 9 min's of Deadly Ringer sounded before they corrected it?
Those first nine minutes of "Deadly Ringer-Part I" were worse. Although there wasn't much dialog spoken during that sequence, it was almost impossible to discern. The dialog in "The Night Demon" example is at least audible, albeit very muffled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks