What's new

The Bionic Woman: Season 2 audio defect (1 Viewer)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Correction: Shortly after posting this I received the following e-mail: "Hello, It will not be necessary for you to return your original Disc #4 from "The Bionic Woman," Season 2. We will send the replacement disc to you at the address you provided from our office in Toronto. Please allow 3 - 4 weeks to receive it. Thank you. Sincerely, Consumer Relations UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT " AWESOME NEWS !!! and talk about timing! :)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, so since I already got the first email about the replacement disc (after I sent them my mailing address) all I now have to do is wait for the replacement to arrive? I don't have to return the defective disc 4? Is this correct? If so, that's great. I guess I can use the defective disc as a coaster.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
it sounds like we're receiving different e-mail's from Uni about this. Here's the e-mail that I received the other day:

Quote (Uni's e-mail)
Hello,

The initial release of "The Bionic Woman Season 2" was issued with the best audio elements that the studio had available at the time, which included noticeably imperfect audio from the episode, "Deadly Ringer." Constructive feedback and suggestions since provided from fans has led to the uncovering of additional source material to improve the audio on this specific episode.

If you would like a replacement for Disc #4, please let us know your U.S. or Canadian mailing address and we will send a postage paid envelope for its return. Please allow 4 - 6 weeks from the time you send the original disc to receive the replacement.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

This e-mail says that I'll need to return the defective disc before they mail the replacement disc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

it sounds like we're receiving different e-mail's from Uni about this. Here's the e-mail that I received the other day:

This e-mail says that I'll need to return the defective disc before they mail the replacement disc.

I received that email too, but it seems like they have reconsidered their approach.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Got the envelope and mailed the disc back today. It's going to an address in Valencia and I'm in L.A. so they should get it tomorrow. Now to see how long it actually takes to get the replacement.... hopefully it's not really 4-6 weeks.

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I just purchased season one and two last week and just received it. I had been reading about the audio issues. The FIRST thing I did when I got the set was check DR1, and it was perfect! Going through the episodes on season 2, I noticed a couple of things. Kill Oscar pt 1 (the part before the opening credits) the dialogue is indeed somewhat muffled, but no big deal to me because it was still very audible. I didn't notice the audio being muffled at all after the teaser in Kill Oscar pt 1. Picture was great! I checked the night demon episode and I noticed NOTHING. One other thing I noticed is the opening credits in "Road to Nashville" had a dull sound. I took a look at Return of Bigfoot pt 1. I noticed the sound was a little low, but if someone hadn't pointed it out to me before I had checked the disk, I'm not sure I would have even noticed it. I do have a question. Why do most episodes in season 2 have a teaser before the opening credits, but some don't, it just starts with the credits. I hope these are UNCUT. Overall, the season 1 and season 2 sets are GREAT!!!!! I always wanted to get the PAL versions or R2, but I can't STAND the way they are sped up. They almost sound like chipmunks to me. Can't wait for season 3. Loved the Max and fembot episodes of season 3 and a few others. I think Rancho Outcast was the WORST episode of season 3.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Mark, I haven't really been paying much attention since the audio issues were first identified, but are you saying that the fixed disk is now out there in the sets currently being sold (for those of us that waited)? Obviously, that doesn't mean all vendors have them yet, so where did your order come from?

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Yes. I wasn't sure if I could mention where I ordered mine. Count me out of the loop because as much as I LOVED this show, I didn't even know they were out on dvd until I came across it on Amazon. So I read the reviews and that's when I found out about the audio issues......So last week I ordered both seasons from deepdiscountdvd.com because that was the cheapest I could find with free shipping.....I was fully prepared to do the disc replacement thing when I got this set, but Deadly Ringer P1 was flawless. And the other small issues I can totally live with. I think most people wouldn't even notice them quite honestly. The "Road To Nashville" opening credits is a bit puzzling to me. The episode quality is terrific, but the opening credits sound (not picture) "almost" sound to be like it came off of a VHS recording taped on SLP with no hi-fi.

D

Dominic Dimeo

Gary you can get season 3 from dvd.it la donna bionica thats the italian version or you can get season 3 from germany

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by mark40511

I do have a question. Why do most episodes in season 2 have a teaser before the opening credits, but some don't, it just starts with the credits. I hope these are UNCUT.

Yes, they are uncut. There was no hard and fast rule about teasers on the series. Some eps had them and some didn't.

D

Dominic Dimeo

I just orderd season 3 six million dollar man from germany cause season 3 from italy did not contain the secret of bigfoot episodes

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hi JohnMor or anyone Here is a quote from the bionic files season 1 dvd review that I'm confused about "All episodes are uncut and in their original broadcast structure. However, the main title sequence has been replaced throughout Season One with a version used in the first few episodes. There were actually several different main titles used during Season One, including a shorter version. This main title switcheroo is disappointing for longtime fans of the show, but probably won't be noticed by most consumers." This confuses me, because from what I understand, the first season aired starting in Jan of 76, and those non-rerun openings were always LONG, while the re-run episodes of the first season in the summer of 76 had some episodes with the edited short openings. There was the different welcome home jaime pt 1 and 2 openings, then an updated opening from then on for the rest of season one. Is this not how it was originally broadcast before the ABC summer re-runs started?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, the opening credits on the Season 1 dvds follow neither the original network airings, nor the re-runs. They took the opening from WHJ and stuck it on all the eps for the season. Not a big deal to some fans like me, but very disappointing to a lot of other hardcore fans.

As far as the original network openings go, I recall a few changes, and most of them being long. There may have been a shorter one or two, but I don't remember seeing them specifically during the first run.

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
John HUH? On my season one of the Bionic Woman.......They have the opening for Welcome home Jaime part 1 and 2 (which is different), then the rest of the season one episodes have the regular bionic woman opening. Are you saying that all your BW season one episodes have the WHJ opening?

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
This is the theme my season 1 dvd's have from Angel of Mercy to The Ghosthunter (of course, it's not textless or in color in certain parts) but it's the full theme opening credits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efx6p3MZB2A&feature=related

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
mark40511 said:
This is the theme my season 1 dvd's have from Angel of Mercy to The Ghosthunter (of course, it's not textless or in color in certain parts) but it's the full theme opening credits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efx6p3MZB2A&feature=related
I am honored that you linked one of my fan made videos from The Bionic Woman show. :) And Mark, you probably saw my simulated vintage short opening for season 1 reruns of summer '76? This is definitely not on the DVD set of season 1. The Pal DVD region 2 sets from Europe had the original season 1 openings and the video quality was superior to the openings of the region 1 NTSC box set. Thats the only major flaw from the region 1 edition.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by mark40511

John

HUH? On my season one of the Bionic Woman.......They have the opening for Welcome home Jaime part 1 and 2 (which is different), then the rest of the season one episodes have the regular bionic woman opening. Are you saying that all your BW season one episodes have the WHJ opening?

Mark, you are correct. My set matches yours. I forgot that they kept the WHJ version on those 2 eps.

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Ok.........I'm still somewhat confused after ALL the reading I have done Am I correct that when ABC originally aired BW, that the WHJ theme music and the following episode them music of season one is how it originally aired, but the ONLY difference being the texts? And Martin Yea. I loved your openings on youtube. That textless Bionic woman theme is my favorite theme version of all the versions.............I know ABC had short openings, but I thought the short openings were in summer re runs only. I still think it's ODD that SMDM never had a short opening, but BW did........I mean, they were both hour shows and I'm sure SMDM had episodes that ran long or short as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks