What's new

The Bionic Woman: Season 2 audio defect (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
looks like the British sets are due soon. Fabulous Films release of Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Series is scheduled for November 28th. Will be interesting to see the specs.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Anyone pick up the 3rd Season of The Bionic Woman today? I'm curious if any "surprises" await us on this latest release!

MattHR

Screenwriter
derosa said:
Anyone pick up the 3rd Season of The Bionic Woman today? I'm curious if any "surprises" await us on this latest release!
I've only watched the final episode, "On The Run", since I was eager to listen to some of Steven De Souza's commentary. I can, unfortunately, confirm that there are a few instances where sound effects are muffled/distorted/inaudible. During the scene at the beginning when Jaime fights the two thugs at the zoo, some of the sound effects/foley are muffled (just as in the Season 2 set). I checked the same scene from the German and Italian S3 sets and, as expected, the sound is fine on them. Although S3 is my least favorite, I'm hoping there aren't as many audio flaws as there are in the S2 set. As with the S2 set, there really is no excuse for this sloppiness. edit: also found similar audio problems on "Sanctuary Earth" (as before, audio is fine on the German and Italian sets)

MattHR

Screenwriter
The "Q&A" with Lindsay Wagner is nothing more than 15 minutes of Lindsay talking about the show (culled from the same session recorded for Time Life's SMDM set and the S1 & S2 BW sets). Some of us were hoping it was going to be a recording of a Q&A session from one of her recent convention appearances. James Parriott's commentary is on "The Bionic Dog—Part I" only. I'm guessing the best bonus feature on this set will be the commentary on "Brain Wash" by fellow fan and friend James Sherrard. I'll be checking that out later tonight.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
We have a note in to Universal asking for a review copy of Season 3, but I'm not sure if I'll get this one, given that the street date has already passed us.

It's more of a completist thing for me to finish the review cycle at this point - I'm aware that as of the final year, Kenneth Johnson had already left the series to begin work on The Incredible Hulk, and the days of the great crossovers were in the past.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Kevin EK said:
We have a note in to Universal asking for a review copy of Season 3, but I'm not sure if I'll get this one, given that the street date has already passed us.

It's more of a completist thing for me to finish the review cycle at this point - I'm aware that as of the final year, Kenneth Johnson had already left the series to begin work on The Incredible Hulk, and the days of the great crossovers were in the past.
They may be aware of the similar audio problems with the S3 set, so issuing early review copies wouldn't be helpful to them—especially after the reaction to the last set and their initial response to the problem.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that Amazon have lowered the price of Seasons 1 and 2 to Target's new price point. I'm tempted to go ahead and pick up S1 (since I already bought S2), but I'm wondering if I should just wait at this point and see if Universal pull a nasty trick and release a complete boxset with exclusive content (though since they didn't release anything extra with the complete set of The Incredible Hulk, I'd be surprised). Would be nice to see a press release of the (inevitable) complete set just to confirm, though.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I watched all of disc one and I can confirm that there is a sound drop out in Febots In Las Vagas part one. When the Callahan Fembot breaks the glass in Kyler's office/penthouse there is a noticable muffling of the breaking glass sound. The Febot sound effect is there, but it is so loud it overpowers the breaking glass sound. However, in part two during the recap ofr part one they show the same scene and the audio is fine. The breaking glass sound is at the same level as the Fembot sound. I'm not sure if this is an actual audio defect or if the audio has been that way since the original airing. I didn't notice any further sound drop outs but I have to admit I was really absorbed in the show so I really wasn't listenting for audio defects. The one I did notice was pretty obvious. That's why I noticed it.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
MattHR said:
I've only watched the final episode, "On The Run", since I was eager to listen to some of Steven De Souza's commentary. I can, unfortunately, confirm that there are a few instances where sound effects are muffled/distorted/inaudible. During the scene at the beginning when Jaime fights the two thugs at the zoo, some of the sound effects/foley are muffled (just as in the Season 2 set). I checked the same scene from the German and Italian S3 sets and, as expected, the sound is fine on them. Although S3 is my least favorite, I'm hoping there aren't as many audio flaws as there are in the S2 set. As with the S2 set, there really is no excuse for this sloppiness. edit: also found similar audio problems on "Sanctuary Earth" (as before, audio is fine on the German and Italian sets)
Just to save time hunting through previous posts: what's the deal with the German and Italian sets? Are they PAL or NTSC and are the subtitles optional? I still don't have season 3 and if there turns out to be some more audio issues I may just get one of the imports.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Hank E said:
Just to save time hunting through previous posts: what's the deal with the German and Italian sets? Are they PAL or NTSC and are the subtitles optional? I still don't have season 3 and if there turns out to be some more audio issues I may just get one of the imports.
Germany and Italy are PAL countries, so the DVDs are PAL. The only NTSC Bionic Woman releases have been from the US and Mexico. Rather than going for the German/Italian sets, if you feel the need to import, you might want to keep an eye on the British e-tailer websites, because a "Complete Series" set is coming from Fabulous Films in November. Will be interesting to see what that has in the way of extras (since Matt has been working with the distributor in that regard).

MattHR

Screenwriter
AndyMcKinney said:
Germany and Italy are PAL countries, so the DVDs are PAL. The only NTSC Bionic Woman releases have been from the US and Mexico. Rather than going for the German/Italian sets, if you feel the need to import, you might want to keep an eye on the British e-tailer websites, because a "Complete Series" set is coming from Fabulous Films in November. Will be interesting to see what that has in the way of extras (since Matt has been working with the distributor in that regard).
Mexico has only the first season, and it's terrible quality—transferred from edited 16mm prints. Japan, also NTSC, has the first two seasons available. The U.K. complete BW collection from Fabulous Films will be released in the first quarter of 2012. Their SMDM release is scheduled for the end of next month.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in case anyone still doesn't have season 1 or 2 of The Bionic Woman they're on sale at Target this week for 8.99(!)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Hank E said:
Well, in case anyone still doesn't have season 1 or 2 of The Bionic Woman they're on sale at Target this week for 8.99(!)
Wow! I might be near a Target on Tuesday. At that price, I won't be able to resist an S1 if I can find it (I'd already bought the S2 at $15).

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
What's the wait time been on these replacement discs? I sent mine in over a month ago and nothing's returned in the mail.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Corey3rd said:
What's the wait time been on these replacement discs? I sent mine in over a month ago and nothing's returned in the mail.
Mine was (surprisingly) about a week.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
To be fair, I didn't realize the final season set was already coming out until just about the street date.

Doubtful that Universal will send a review copy at this point.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up S1 at Target today. Thanks for the tip, Hank! S3 is still around the $29.99 mark in-store. I think I'll just wait it out and see if Target does it for that set in a few months time...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just finished 'Kill Oscar' parts 1-3. Wow, why can't tv be like this today. The escapsim/fun factor are well off the charts. I'm ordering season 3 next week. Just fantastic stuff.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Is anyone else waiting for their replacement DVD after sending in the defective DVD back in August? I've emailed and called the hotline a few times now. Universal hasn't replied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks