What's new

The Big Valley Season 2? (1 Viewer)

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Those of us with access to all of this Fox library material have moved on and started doing it ourselves. I'm not banking on the great Fox taking care of us.

Batmanfan66

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny
I for one will be buying this set when it arrives!! My very favorite western series..

Danny~

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Bottom Line is a Full season of BV is worth the $40 that it will be with discounts. I'm buying

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

It's not selling. They can make more money off a new show than an old show, so they're putting their resources where they can see the biggest return. From what I've heard we may not see any more NYPD Blue or Hill Street Blues due to poor sales of the sets. Classic TV is a harder sell because some people haven't heard of the shows, or if they've heard the title they may not know what it's about, and so they wouldn't buy it. I've discovered many, many interesting shows since starting the website, but I wouldn't have purchased them on my own.

With that said, I expect we'll see more classic shows released as the studios get used to earning less money on TV sets. The expected profits are lower now, which makes some of these shows more viable.

Gord

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Like what shows haven't people heard of? Hill Street Blues? C'mon. I'm not buying it. In this day and age with 500 channels I find it hard to believe that popular shows from previous decades aren't known to viewers. If you were a kid in the 80s, as opposed to the 60s, you got to see Dennis the Menace, Donna Reed, Dobie Gillis, Patty Duke, My Three Sons, Route 66, I Spy, Make Room for Daddy, Ann Sothern, Private Secretary and more on Nick at Nite. CBN ran Bachelor Father, My Little Margie, Love That Bob, Wagon Train, Farmer's Daughter, Here Come the Brides, Bill Cosby Show and many more. I mean yeah, if you're like 15 now, then no, you weren't around. But leaving out the children, and by that I mean pretty much anyone under 30, you've had access to the same shows as us older folks.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, thanks for getting back to me, Gord. Fox could try to drum up interest in its vintage shows if they were to be released at discount prices or even lease the DVD rights to some of their older shows to independent companies like Anchor Bay, MPI and Image. Someday there should be a premium classic TV channel without commercials- kinda like Turner Classic Movies, but instead of films from the Warner/Turner vault, we'll see newly remastered, uncut episodes of classic shows without ads- the promise of 'TVLand' carried to the nth degree.

Some of the premium channels owned by Encore are already showing uncut shows along with films on their schedules. I believe Encore Westerns is showing newly-printed episodes of Alias Smith & Jones and The Big Valley along with feature films. If Fox were to do a premium channel that would exploit its TV show vault the way Fox Movie Channel uses its feature film vault, it would generate more interest in these shows and easily pave the way to more DVD releases.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well if we all buy this dvd, we won't have to DVR things off Starz, because if it sells, they'll probably release the rest of the series. I think we're all in agreement here that we're gonna buy it; and I for one can't wait!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
They are currently in the last season of Big Valley on Encore westerns. I for one am going to DVR the ones I don't have and buy the sets as they come out. This is a great show!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Curious as to how everyone's doing with this set...it looks I'll need to return the 2nd set for an exchange due to defects (intermittent artifacts, pixtels, etc). The 1st returned set had an ep with the "skips/freezes" sickness. I bought the set from Amazon so, no hassle in the exchange...free postage....outside the 30-day purchase time, no issue.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Jeff, I had no issues with the set other than one early episode that froze. When I reloaded the DVD, it played fine and there were no other issues that I had with the set which has become, somewhat surprisingly, one of my favorite TV-on-DVD releases for 2006. I hadn't seen BV in ages, and the first season stories were consistently engaging.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
You can now pre-order this title on Amazon for 27.99. It lists a release date of January 30th, 2007.

Thought you all would like to know!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I saw the box art and that has to be an early version. Why is Heath (Lee Majors) pictured twice? Where is Jared (Richard Long)? I hope that this gets corrected.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
No, it's Lee Majors in Jared Barkley's clothes. That's what you get when you photoshop and don't think about what you are doing.

And if you feel the need to photoshop, fine--there probably aren't enough suitable cast photos. But must one make it appear so obviously photoshopped? The Barkleys look like their situated a hundred feet above the eponymous "Valley".

I'm also perturbed about the price--the Amazon reviewers have nailed it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
So I take it this show is DEAD on more releases? It isn't like there are a lot of seasons. But I was thinking Bonanza has a following behind it but 14 Seasons! When they get that entire series released we could all be dead.

I would very much like more Big Valley but half season usually kills a shows sales even more. The publis is a lot more intelligent with these studio practices then the think. Really sad.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Of the many shows I've collected and seen stalled/abandoned - and believe me they are numerous - I'd say this one is as dead as dead can be. I see absolutely no evidence that Fox plans on picking this one back up anytime soon. Heck, I have more hope for future releases of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER than I do for BIG VALLEY, and LITB has been sitting dead in the water for quite some time. But I keep thinking that show is so iconic that it's got to pop back up at some point. With BIG VALLEY though, I just don't trust Fox to do right by it so my hopes for future releases are really low.

Gary "just my opinion, I don't have any insider knowledge about the status of BV or LITB other than what I see - which unfortunately is nothing at the moment" O.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Gary OS Heck, I have more hope for future releases of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER than I do for BIG VALLEY, and LITB has been sitting dead in the water for quite some time. But I keep thinking that show is so iconic that it's got to pop back up at some point. With BIG VALLEY though, I just don't trust Fox to do right by it so my hopes for future releases are really low.
Gary, I do certainly believe that "Leave It To Beaver" will be released at some point because like you say it is "So Iconic!!!! I can't see how it 'Couldn't Be Released' in it's 'Entirety' in the near future. I know that Jerry Mathers is going to be on Oprah soon among other guests as well, since I happened to walk in on a Promo for the show, but unfortunately I didn't see the whole thing. So I am not sure if it is today or next week! Sorry about that!!!! If I find out, I'll post again.
Update: Jerry Mathers is introduced by Oprah Winfrey on Monday's September 21, 2009 Oprah Show. It is an episode where Oprah goes back in time to the 1960's.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm hoping for an outfit like Shout! Factory to take it over to complete the run. I've heard that a movie remake of the Barkley saga is planned, so hopefully Fox or another company will pick up the DVD releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks