What's new

The Big Valley Season 2? (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Hey, Fox is the best, according to everyone here. I would put them 2nd best. However, I would put all of the other companies tied for first!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't care if they cut it up or not; that's a whole 15 more episodes coming our way. I urge everyone not to turn up their noses at the 1/2 season plan, and to buy it. All that matters is that we get the episodes, isn't it?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I STRONGLY disagree, Michael- Fox is the all-time worst of the majors! They have so many great shows in their vaults that they have yet to do anything about while they keep repackaging previously-released shows like Buffy and X-Files. What happened to the rest of Malcolm in the Middle? And where's the rest of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? Remember how many years it took between seasons 1 & 2 of Mary Tyler Moore?

And where's:

Batman
Peyton Place
The Green Hornet
Room 222
Burke's Law
Honey West
Dobie Gillis
Bracken's World
Adventures In Paradise
Judd For The Defense
?

I rest my case.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Charles: go back and re-read Michael's post. Besides the fact that it's dripping with sarcasm, he's agreeing with you!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'll be getting S2 V1 for sure. I want this series bad. I also was disappointed in hearing that S1 didn't sell well. At least Fox is taking another chance with this one before giving up on it. Frustrating hobby, TV/DVD...but worth it :)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Ethan, I couldn't agree with you more. The fact of the matter is that this practice of splitting seasons is not new and not limited to Fox. Image Entertainment did this a few years back with the entire "Combat!" series which I happily purchased as it was among my "most wanted" series. Image later released the series in a single box set, but there's no way that I would have been able to purchase "Combat!" in one full swoop. The last sentence of your comments really sums it up best for me.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think what Fox is doing is increasing the profit per season by splitting the sets so that they can continue releasing the series since Season one sales were low.
This way they are getting 59.98 per season instead of 39.99. By splitting each season and selling each set for 29.99 it will be cheap enough for impulse buyers.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Thanks for the info, Gord. It's nice to hear from you on this subject (now we need some info on "Leave it to Beaver" Season 3, please).

That's really a shame about the low sales, and quite depressing to me personally. Perhaps it's time for me to bite the bullet and pay for Starz Western so that I can record "BIG VALLEY" onto dvd. That channel is easily the best option since at least we would get the show commercial free.

I'll buy anything Fox puts out with this show, so there's no need for anyone to abandon it. That only makes our plight worse. But I still might record off Starz just to be safe.

Gary "what a pity that these classics look to have hit a major snag with lower than projected sales - God how I sometimes despise the buying public and their tastes" O.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Gord, while you're reading this thread, answer me why Fox has been so lax in opening its vaults for vintage shows!

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Fox has been busy living of it's acquisitions from other producers.

One possible reason for ignoring their vintage shows is that many were never remastered for domestic or export use. If you had access to the earlier days of the Foxnet national feed, they were still using battered 16mm prints at a time when most studios were well along in their film-to-tape remastering projects. Considering that Fox appears to view back library releases as risky, they are likely even less inclined to release material that has the added cost of remastering from scratch.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As I said before, I saw Season One of "The Big Valley" for $19.99 at WalMart, which made me not want to pass it up. To increase sales, the price of buying a season should be lowered, not raised -- didn't Fox learn that from their Mary Tyler Moore experience?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Well the walmart price was a chain wide mistake on their part that they never corrected, most sold it for around $27 for 30 episodes. So they lowered the MSRP from $39 to $29, so taken discounts into account we will get half the episodes for $10 less, not sure how this will boost the sales as now both sets will be $10 more

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

They are hoping to boost sales with the 29.99 list vs. the 39.99 list and if sales were not good enough then they need to increase the $ per unit sold in order to make a profit. They will be getting 59.98 a season this way. This is better than if they just abandoned the series due to lack of sales. At least they are trying. Mary Tyler Moore was different because they abandoned the special features that drove the cost of the 1st season up.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Too many quotes here that I agree with to "paste" quotes. Gary O's Sig says it all for me. I'll pay the bucks for these classic TV/DVD's but we're at the mercy of the "rest of" the buying public, it seems, and/or the decision-makers at the studios.

I've been thinking the same thing, about finally getting a DVR and making my own collection from the Starz channels. I was about to do that for another series that recently was released on DVD at the same time Starz was airing the series ("Time Tunnel"), but right before I was about to get the DVR, Fox released that series in grand fashion (outstanding xfrs and great extras). The BV xfrs are great quality as well. I'd guess that's why most here want to buy the studio releases.

Jeff "There's just not enough of us 'Boomers out there among the buying public, it seems" W.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Right, Bob. Same here for Combat!. I could have bought the entire set later but at the time the single-season V1/2 sets were being released we didn't know for certain if there would be a series-set pack available. Since this was also one of my "must-have's", I bought the sets as they were released. Same goes for Big Valley. At the time S1 was released, I had a feeling that this was going to happen with this series. Nothing to go on, just a hunch. I wasn't surprised when Gord posted the update on BV. I'll buy whatever volume or half-season that's released. As Ethan said, "It's getting the eps on DVD that counts". Just a guess, but it may be that BV sales were low because of the many years it was run in syndication. That's a shame, since the eps that I watched locally were really "butchererd" badly for syndication.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Let's not forget:

Bus Stop
Five Fingers
Broken Arrow
My Friend Flicka
Hong Kong
Follow the Sun
Twelve O'Clock High
The Long Hot Summer
Blue Light
The Loner
The Monroes
Felony Squad
Julia
Journey to the Unknown
Nanny and the Professor
Ghost and Mrs. Muir
James at 15
The Paper Chase

And the MTM shows they own:

Rhoda
Phyllis
Doc
The Tony Randall Show
The Betty White Show
Lou Grant
WKRP in Cincinnati

And the Four Star shows:

Richard Diamond
The Detectives
Target: The Corrupters
Dick Powell Show
Saints and Sinners

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

That's what I've been doing. At least I have them complete and great quality. If it comes out I'll buy it and give the discs to a friend. At 30 cents apiece for high quality, Japanese made Taiyo-Yuden discs, I think I can afford to be on the safe side.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I think that's what I'm gonna do. I'll check the channel and see where they are in their broadcasting, and as soon as they hit the midway point of season 2 I'll add the channel to my Direct TV package and start recording. I've always regretted not doing the same thing with the Starz Westerns Channel a few years ago when they were running the LONE RANGER. I don't want to let another show get away from me.

Gary "and those Taiyo-Yuden discs are definitely the way to go - I use them alot myself" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks