The Big List of remaining high-profile music releases for 2001

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I'm sure someone other than me has trouble keeping track of the 'important' CD releases by week. I will attempt to compile and maintain a list of the high-profile releases for the rest of the year. Please post any items you believe are missing from this list: but please remember that it's impossible to track ALL releases.
    November 6
    Tony Bennett, et al: Playin' with My Friends: Bennett Sings the Blues
    Connells: Old-School Dropouts
    Creedence Clearwater Revival: Creedence (Box -- Delayed from 10/23)
    Daft Punk: Alive 1997
    Dead Can Dance: Dead Can Dance Box [Box]
    Destiny's Child: 8 Days of Christmas
    Faith Evans: Faithfully
    Flickerstick: Welcoming Home The Astronauts
    Guess Who: Running Back Thru Canada
    Merle Haggard: Vol. 1-Roots
    Natalie Imbruglia: White Lilies Island
    Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow (Remastered)
    Jefferson Starship: Across The Sea Of Suns
    Natalie Merchant: Motherland
    Morrissey: Best of Morrissey
    Pink Floyd: Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd
    Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr.: The Rat Pack Live At The Sands
    Britney Spears: Britney
    They Might Be Giants: Holidayland
    Paul Van Dyk: The Politics of Dancing
    Townes Van Zandt: Texas Rain
    Roger Waters: In the Flesh Live [CD & SACD]
    Wyclef Jean: Ecleftic: Special Edition
    Judas Priest remasters (Stained Class, Hellbent for Leather, Unleashed in the East, Sin After Sin)
    November 13
    Marc Anthony : Libre
    Barenaked Ladies: Disc One: All Their Greatest Hits
    Belle & Sebastian: I'm Waking Up To Us [Nov. 27?]
    Belle & Sebastian: Storytelling
    Garth Brooks: Scarecrow
    Tim Buckley: Copenhagen Tapes
    The Cure: Greatest Hits
    Daft Punk: Harder Better Faster Stronger
    Emerson Lake & Palmer: Show That Never Ends
    Bill Evans Trio: Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    Ghostface Killah: Bulletproof Wallets
    Green Day: International Superhits!
    Gutbucket: Insomniacs Dream
    Michael Jackson: Greatest Hits: History 1
    Jesus & Mary Chain: Peel Sessions [LIVE]
    Jewel: This Way
    Shelby Lynne: Love, Shelby
    Madonna: GHV2
    Barry Manilow: Here At The Mayflower
    Paul McCartney: Driving Rain
    Pearl Jam: Talk In Code
    Radiohead: I Might Be Wrong Live
    Run DMC: Take The Money And Run
    Sevendust: Animosity
    William Shatner: Ashes of Eden [Box]
    Smash Mouth: Smash Mouth
    Rod Stewart: Voice: Very Best Of Rod Stewart
    Twisted Sister: Disco Sucks
    UK Subs: Huntington Beach
    Muddy Waters: Mississippi Mud
    Rob Zombie: Sinister Urge
    Various Artists: Lord of the Rings (1978 Film soundtrack)
    November 20
    Aerosmith: Young Lust-Aerosmith Anthology
    Belle & Sebastian: Storytelling
    Boyz II Men: Legacy: Greatest Hits Collection
    Sarah Brightman: Classics
    Noam Chomsky: An American Addiction: Drugs Guerillas and Counter...
    Creed: Weathered
    Janet Jackson: All for You 'Ltd Special Edition
    Mick Jagger: Goddess In The Doorway
    Kid Rock: Cocky
    KISS: KISS 2 (?) box sets, one deluxe, one regular.
    Pink: Missundaztood
    Prince: The Rainbow Children
    Jill Scott: Experience: Jill Scott
    Smashing Pumpkins: Rotten Apples: Greatest Hits
    Smashing Pumpkins: Rotten Apples + Judas O Riley
    Sting: All This Time (CD and DVD releases)
    Timbaland & Magoo: Indecent Proposal
    Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble: Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985
    Lord of the Rings soundtrack (Howard Shore)
    Aerosmith Remasters (Get A Grip, Permanent Vacation, Pump)
    November 27
    Babes In Toyland: Intermenstral
    Busta Rhymes: Genesis
    John Lee Hooker: Testament [Box]
    Jimmy Reed: Big Boss Man Box Set
    December 4
    Ice Cube: Greatest Hits
    Mack 10: Bang or Ball
    Nate Dogg: Music & Me
    Outkast: Big Boi & Dr Dre Present Outkast
    December 11
    Teenage Fanclub: Howdy
    Warren G: Return of the Regulator
    PM][/size]
    [Edited last by Greg Yurkovic on November 01, 2001 at 06:27 AM]

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Aaahh.. Bob Seger "Stranger in Town" remaster...nice.

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

You forgot the new Beulah on Sept. 11, the new Superchunk on Sept. 18 and the newest "buzz" band, The Strokes, on Sept. 25.
    X remasters? Whatever happened to the Replacements remasters that were announced for the end of July?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Thanks Greg! I will frequent this thread often. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

6. isobel meldar

you're right about that Vince. Mac has even make fun of the Smashing Pumpkins in a lot of interviews about their "orchestrization" and then they go do the same thing on some of their songs (albeit on a much smaller scale). they're still one of my favorite bands of the 90's (Incidental Music and On The Mouth being my favorites) but they've definately lost something and i fear it will probably get worse. by the way, did you hear that Cursive has added a cello?

7. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Speaking of the Pumpkins (may they rest in pieces), their new greatest hits album, titled, uh, "Greatest Hits", is due this fall--November 6 is the date I've heard. It will be released both as a single CD and a limited-edition two-CD set. One disc will be the Greatest Hits CD, and the other CD will be a bunch of b-sides and rarities from the Mellon Collie, Adore, and Machina sessions--basically a sequel to Pisces Iscariot. It will be called "Judas O Riley".
    Also, the new Wilco album is called "Yankee Foxtrot Hotel", and it doesn't have a release date yet, but hopefully it will be out before the end of the year.
    -mwb-
    ------------------
    Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
    Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
    Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
    May 22, 2002

8. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

The Powerman 5000 album for release on August 28th is postponed.
    It'll be out Feb. 2002.
    Vince,
    Is the new Fugazi album all new material? The only thing I've heard about is their DVD release.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

quote: you're right about that Vince. Mac has even make fun of the Smashing Pumpkins in a lot of interviews about their "orchestrization" and then they go do the same thing on some of their songs (albeit on a much smaller scale). they're still one of my favorite bands of the 90's (Incidental Music and On The Mouth being my favorites) but they've definately lost something and i fear it will probably get worse.[/quote]
    It's sad. Superchunk was always my example when discussing bands who understood that rock was not dead- bands who took the same basic formula and made it interesting, and even heartbreaking, again. When Mac spit out the line "and here's where the strings come in" it dripped with so much sarcasm as to completely sum up everything I was feeling about rock at the time.
    Everything I was struggling against as a musician at that time was wrapped up in that statement-- bands like the smashing pumpkins had once again drug rock music a little towards the bloated that "alternative" or whatever was combatting in the first place.
    It's been sad to see a band like superchunk get old and struggle to remain interesting. Once you reach a certain age, honestly, the passion to write interesting "rock" music is gone- and aging musicians who find their validity slipping away try to throw instrumentation/exotic influences at the problem because they simply don't have the energy or the "angst" to keep up in a kids game. As a result a band like Superchunk, who could rock you under a table any day of the week, add a horn section or orchestration to cover up for a lack of new ideas.
    Seeing Burning Airlines play last month was equaly heartbreaking. To recall what an AMAZING band Jawbox was and to take in the new-wavy showtune rock of Burning Airline, ugh, was just too much for me to take. Of course, they've added keyboards, a second guitarist- and I wouldn't be suprised to see a percussionist on their next tour.
    quote: by the way, did you hear that Cursive has added a cello?[/quote]
    Seriously?
    Although I guess I can live with cello from time to time in rock- mostly because the standard rock formula doesn't allow for a ton of clean sustain sound- the kind of sound a bowed instrument gives you. As long as cello stays a support instrument, I can live with the occassional cello parts, expecially in "pretty rock" bands, or more experimental bands like mogwai.
    quote: Is the new Fugazi album all new material? The only thing I've heard about is their DVD release.[/quote]
    Yep, new material. Actually, the album will include the first recorded release of "Furniture", a song that they've been playing since 88 or so (it's featured in Instrument at one point). So I guess it's new material and one really old song.
    I'm curious how this album will sound. Again, Ian is over (or rapidly approaching) 40 at this point, and as I mentioned before, rock is really a kids game. Fugazi have managed to keep pumping out interesting stuff- but I think I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed "End Hits" or even "Red Medicine" as much as "In on the kill taker" or "Repeater". The aged fugazi can't hold a candle to their youthful version- but hopefully they can make up with interesting songwriting what they've lost in youthful passion and anger.
    time will tell.
    Vince
    PS: Not to hijack this discussion, but can anyone think of bands that are likely successors to the thrones held by bands like Fugazi, Superchunk, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Jawbox, SDRE, etc? Seems like there are bunches of cool bands around, but none I could see dominating their musical landscape and being 100% trendsetters like Fugazi, for example.
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
    [Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on August 29, 2001 at 03:07 PM]

10. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

11. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Is there a date for the premiere of Echobrain, Jason Newstead's new band? The band sounds pretty cool, not at all heavy metal like you would think considering Newstead's involvment. I can't get a good bead on their singer though. He sounds a litte weak.

12. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

13. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Althought I knew about the release dates, I'm completely stoked about the live Phish releases. I've been impatiently waiting on these for months. If your not familiar with this band you must check them out. Completely original jam band. I've been a faithfull phan for years!

14. Mark Cappelletty

Vince,
    How funny that you respond to my Superchunk post-- I'm listening to the "Late Century Dream" single EP right now. I like Indoor Living and really dig Come Pick Me Up-- unlike so many bands, which just mine the same material, you can hear Superchunk mature over their releases, which isn't such a bad thing (I like Mac's Portastatic as well). The new single is very hushed (and surprisingly heavy on the Mellotron, but B-side "Becoming a Spark" has the same great Chunk urgency.
    Fugazi, on the other hand, sort went in reverse for me; when replacing a bunch of CDs that were stolen in June, I decided not to replace End Hits or Red Medicine (I never had Instrument)-- I just didn't listen to them and the records never had the same place in my heart like Repeater, which I remember realizing This Album IS For Me when I went and saw them live in Toledo one summer home from college. The arrangements are too disjointed and deliberately unmelodic anymore. I still give Ian props for never changing his stance and staying truly independent all these years; Fugazi, like Superchunk, plays what they want and aren't bullied around by record company slugs.
    I think that there are some bands that are trailblazers today, but it seems that most new musicians take an easy route toward whatever's "popular," with rap/metal being the new thing. I like the trend towards garage rock, with bands like the White Stripes, the Strokes, the Detroit Cobras and the Greenhornes pumping out stripped down skronk that sounds primal and real. I'll stick up for Elephant Six bands like Beulah, Apples in Stereo and Neutral Milk Hotel who subvert traditional pop sounds. And there will always be jagged rock sounds; bands like Gang of Four have given way to Built To Spill and Spoon.
    Bands like Guided By Voices, Yo La Tengo and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds still seem essential, however, even as the music softens or becomes more mainstream as these bands hit the ten or fifteen year mark in their careers.

15. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Edited for more of next week's releases. Also added some unofficial titles: new Billy Joel, Journey, Dr. John and The Rembrandts.

16. Adnan Sheikh

Adnan Sheikh Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for mentioning the Orbital release, Greg. You've reminded me how mediocre it is [​IMG]
    I believe there is a new Pulp album coming out in October...this may be the UK only date, I'm not sure. Really looking forward to that one.

17. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson Stunt Coordinator

new aphex twin at the end of october (26 oct i believe)..
    i've received an advance copy and it's some wicked stuff..
    [​IMG]
    a
    ------------------
    visit neverville

18. Andy Kellman

Andy Kellman Extra

19. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Coming Sept. 25:
    John Zorn/Masada: Live at Tonic 2001

20. Mark Cappelletty

Does anyone know when the new New Order CD is due out? I've seen the single for "Crystal" in the stores, but no word on the actual release.