What's new

The Big Lebowski: CE - 10.18.05 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The 2-disc SuperBit SE of Silverado comes in a neat cardboard box with old-time saloon doors, and includes a booklet with photos & an essay and a deck of themed playing cards.

Of course, the MSRP is something like $20!

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
after watching the original dvd again last night (and taking some screencaps for my computer desktop background), all i can say is that i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this one has a new transfer. it's probably one of the more lackluster looking 16:9 transfers out there.....

Juan C

Second Unit
There's been a cast reunion on the occasion of the release of the DVD. See here. The complete article features on Giant magazine, oct-nov issue.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I don't think they actually reunited them - they just interviewed a bunch of them for a retrospective article is the impression I got.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

While it's true that there are worse transfers our there, they in no way detract from the awfulness of the existing transfer. It's pretty darned bad.

Real Name
Anthony
What a load of s**t ! The PQ would have to be perfect to make up for the pitiful lack of new extras, and it looks very far from that. I'm sticking with the old version ; that is, if it plays anymore ! Has anyone checked that ?

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
This release doesn't deserve to be called a Collector's Edition. Geez, what a missed opportunity. Why isn't there a commentary? I figured the Coens wouldn't record one, but did Universal even try to get Bridges, Goodman, and Buscemi? They could have done a new documentary too.

Right on, man. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i see the new picture as a HUGE improvement when i look at the dvdbeaver screenshots - what is everyone so disappointed about???

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow, that's not what I'm seeing. The two transfers look very similar to me, but after closer inspection I would say the new one looks filtered, as I can see more detail on the old one (check the closeup of the bloody pice of cotton bandaging for an example).

I'm not seeing any reason to upgrade on this one.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definitely be picking this one up.

The compression on the old version drives me bonkers...so I'll upgrade for better compression alone.

Also, I'll bet dollars to donuts that this is like the Insurrection SE. That is to say, it looks great on a TV, but not quite so impressive as screencaps.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Antony. Screencaps seldom do justice with DVD comparisions. The difference usually grows in magnitude when actually playing the DVDs.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm with Sean, the screen caps on the new version look more natural, just look at the neon in the background of the bowling alley, that has a natural, airbrushed looked, compared to the washed out white ones on the old transfer.
The old one looks boosted to me.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
DVDBeaver's review seemed pretty good to me. I have actually never seen this before, but I work at a retailer, and saw this in the back and think I might pick it up this Tues.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I took a look at the old release and noted that
this particular frame is probably the worst looking
frame of the whole movie! It is right after a scene switch.
If you single step to the next frame, it does look a lot better and
not much different from the new release!!
When viewing the movie (at normal play), I never noticed that.
So comparing the old release using this frame without
noting it is a single frame which looks extremly bad,
is kind of unfair, IMHO.
Pictures from dvdbeaver; old release:

new release:

Juan C

Second Unit

Actually dvdbeaver now uses exclusively the first frame after a cut for captures. This makes finding the corresponding shot in another edition (which may even be in a different TV standard and submitted by a different person) much easier.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
At first I wanted to get this, then after seeing the lackluster extras, I was on the fence. Then thinking that if they follow the same pattern they did with the 12 Monkeys SE, this will probably be $9.99 on release date at Circuit City, so for $10, I'll pick it up.

Yeah, I know the website says $12.99, but even 12 Monkeys said $12.99 the week before it came out, but at the store it was $9.99. So I have my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks