What's new

The best way to sell Blu-rays... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've sold thousands of DVD's and Blu-rays (and other things) on eBay (never on Amazon, which seems to be a huge pain the butt), but I've reached another point at which I have to purge movies I am pretty sure I'll not watch again, what with having 2,300 Blu-rays at age 66. This will amount to roughly 200 titles for the time being, and I'm not looking forward to going through all the B.S. of listing and fees and all on that site.

So, I wanted to ask those of you who have tried both that and this forum: with which have you had better luck and had the best net return? I have always auctioned my merchandise on eBay rather than used "Buy It Now," and I understand I can't do that here, so it would be a new experience. In any case I am thinking of posting 50 titles as a trial balloon, for which I would still need to "consult eBay," so to speak, to see what particular titles tend to sell for in order to price each title. The problem with that is that eBay is used by millions of non-aficionados, while HTF is comprised specifically of movie enthusiasts and experts who know a great deal more about any movie I could offer than the average Joe, so would that affect pricing (not that HTF members don't scan eBay for bargains)? Also, offering free shipping, which I've never done on eBay but which seems to be pretty common here, takes a big bite out of returns.

Advice?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Personal opinions:

1. I'd use "Used from Marketplace sellers" on Amazon as a pricing guideline. Ebay's auctions fluctuate so much that I think you'd spend twice as much time trying to find an average price by title there.

2. Re - Free Shipping, you might want to only make that a bonus for buying "3 or more" or something similar.

3. If you have stuff pre-1980, I'm interested :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the suggestion
Personal opinions:

1. I'd use "Used from Marketplace sellers" on Amazon as a pricing guideline. Ebay's auctions fluctuate so much that I think you'd spend twice as much time trying to find an average price by title there.

2. Re - Free Shipping, you might want to only make that a bonus for buying "3 or more" or something similar.

3. If you have stuff pre-1980, I'm interested :)
Thanks for the suggestions, Peter. Most of the stuff I'm selling right now is from post-80's. Exceptions within the first lot of 50: GIGI (1958) and LA FEMME NIKITA (1980).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My experience selling anything on HTF over my many years here has been quite negative. Not because of rules, but due to the fact that I hardly EVER find a buyer here for anything, including Blu-rays. I assume it's because of the limited traffic. While it can be costly to sell on eBay, it allows you to reach the largest number of potential buyers.

That being said, I'm off to optimistically list a bunch of Blu-ray titles here and hope for the best. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks