What's new

The Best seminar at CEDIA: Michael Heiss' Talk ** From My Perspective ** (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Each year I make it a point to attend the New Technology Update presented by Michael Heiss of M. Heiss Consulting and I'm not disappointed. This talk is always given to an SRO audience as people cram in to listen to his thoughts on what's out there, what's coming, what's good, what's bad etc. in a most lively way. I'm currently trying to get permission to post Michael's notes (Powerpoint presentation or similar) here for all to view and comment on. It's an excellent roadmap to the future and contains much useful information. I also suspect that Michael lurks here from time to time from my discussions with him. He is extremely well versed in the field and a tremendous resource.

Stay tuned....

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Update:

I've been exchanging e-mail with Michael Heiss and he has asked me, for a number of legal and ethical reasons, not to post his notes verbatim here on the forum. I fully understand his position and will, of course, respect his wishes. Instead, in order to bring you up to speed, let me quote the CEDIA catalog course description for Michael's presentation: (remember, the primary audience was custom Home Theater installers)

I don't know if the above description gives you a feel for the presentation (I'm of the opinion that you have to be there to get maximum benefit) but at least it should clarify the talk a bit. Let me reiterate that I always find Michael's presentations informative, enjoyable and right on the mark. For example, last year (2005) he was talking about the promise of HDMI versus the reality of connecting various components as presently constructed. While I didn't have too much personal experience with HDMI at the time I came to realize that Michael was spot on when he correctly predicted that HDMI connections involve a lot more than simply connecting "Point A" to "Point B." There are so many different interpretations (and implementations) of the evolving HDMI standard that there were bond to be issues and he was one of the first to point out that the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes.

This year at CEDIA there was a lot of emphasis on providing HDMI "compliant" and "compatible" equipment so that at least some of the gremlins go away. It's not your father's connectivity any more and Michael knew this before many.

If you have a question about new technology trends, and if Michael discussed it, I will be glad to share this discussion to the best of my ability. Sorry to be a bit vague on this, but it's a huge topic that does or will effect everyone in the HT industry - manufacturers, sellers, installers and users alike.

Users who are viewing this thread