What's new

The best 'making-of' documentaries as extras (1 Viewer)

Eric Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that The Essence of Combat: The Making of Black Hawk Down and The Matrix Revisted were really well done.

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
a lot of good ones already mentioned.

i remember liking the doc on star wars: episode 1, even thought the movie itself isnt all that sweet.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
The JAWS "Making Of" doc on the laserdisc box set is the best of its type. Unfortunately, the DVD version of the doc has been cut by well over an hour and doesn't have the same feel. One of the reasons I'm glad I still have a laserdisc player.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
One that people havn't mentioned,
1) from the Fear and Loathing Criterion: Fear And Loathing On The Road To Hollywood" a BBC documentary with Hunter S. Thompson and Ralph Steadman.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the Royal Tenenbaums making-of even though I hated the movie.

You can't beat the Jaws LD documentary. Simply the best.

The Lord of the Rings Appendices are great if not a little exhaustive.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Tron - The documentary on this set is absolutely awesome.
Even if you don't like the movie, the doc is simply facinating. The amount of work involved in making the movie is incredible.

I was surprised that the docs on SW:ep2 were not as good as the SW:ep1. The SW:ep2 docs were imformative, but not nearly as interesting.
Ep1 had that terrific seen where Lucas (and company) just finished watching the working print for the first time..... The look on his face was priceless.

-Nick

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
The Abyss - had some good ones on the CGI and how they made the set, awesome stuff.

Jurassic Park - finally watched the featurette on making the film and it was quite detailed IMHO.

Tron - holy crap what they did with that movie, it was really ahead of it's time.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
"The Making Of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" A really early making of with GRH swearing and using very UN-PC language

Spy Kids II

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
another vote for Tron, absolutely way ahead of its time.

The documentary about Cleopatra is another strong contender along with the Making of Ben Hur

:emoji_thumbsup:

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched the Jackie Brown making of more than once. Which I think is the only one I own that I have other than LOTR.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Some great documentaries already mentioned include Makings of, Ben-Hur, Cleopatra, Apocalypse Now, Phantom Menace, Tron etc

The Making of a Legend: Gone With The Wind, was an extremely detailed and enjoyable account on the making of the film, lasting 123mins, I was astonished at how much archival footage of the time was shown in this documentary. Hopefully when they re-release the film this will be on the 3rd disc.

Sadly missing from the Indiana Jones box set were two enjoyable 45min documentaries made back in 1981, one focusing on the making of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', the other on the stunts of Raiders.
'Temple of Doom' and 'Last Crusade' each had their own 45min making of docs released at the time they came out. Looks like I'll have to archive these on dvd.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
The Canadian release of Brotherhood of the Wolf has two excellent documentaries. Personally I prefer the second one which is more fly-on-the-wall style and shows in detail the many problems on set from uncooperative weather to rain machines running out of water. Particularly interesting is how long it took for them to find the right way to get the shot of Mark Dacascos' falling in slo-mo in front of the spike trap.

The Blood Pact about the making of Blade 2 is pretty neat. Also the Making of Titus has some great footage of the film's extensive rehearsal period. The documentary on Psycho was terrific too. And although it isn't specific to any given film, Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures is outstanding.
- Guy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, Guy, the Kubrick doc is fabulous. Another non-film-specific doc that I love is the full-length one about John Huston on the new Treasure Of The Sierra Madre DVD. It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen about anything, or anyone. One more very good one: the PBS American Masters Series about Preston Sturges, one of the extras on the Criterion DVD of Sullivan's Travels.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
The Making of Lawrence of Arabia, great stories, great stuff especially anything involving Omar Sharif, it pays to have the 2 disc special that wasn't Superbit...documentaries on Dressed To Kill and any DePalma film including them are extraordinary, hoping to see a new one on the Untouchables DVD next year...both of the French Connection documentaries were fantastic...The Marathon Man documentaries and Here's Looking at You Warner Bros. to name a few...Umpteen on the Hamster Factor and any Gilliam title fortunate to have a documentary on the DVD...A Decade Under the Influence and it's extras...All the BTTF documentaries...Blow and Vanilla Sky's production video diaries...and all the documentaries on the Straw Dogs Criterion DVD... many many more are extraordinary and I've mentioned more than enough, thank you...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks