What's new

Blu-ray Review The Artist Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/321720/the-artist-blu-ray-review#post_3941724
While I think the silent 'gimmick' is what gave The Artist the edge to win Best Picture, I don't think any of the other nominated movies got particularly shafted by losing to it.

I would agree that this wasn't a situation like 1990 or 1994 where the (IMO) much, much stronger movie got beaten - I can't look at one of the other nominees from last year and say that it clearly should have won. I wanted "Descendants" to win, but I can't claim it was a travesty that it didn't.

I remain of the mind that "Artist" is an okay movie that would've gotten much, much less attention without its gimmick...

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/321720/the-artist-blu-ray-review#post_3941657
Some online reviews mention some banding present? Did you notice this? Would it have also been present in the theatrical release?

I saw no evidence of banding on my setup. Robert Harris had this to say: "The gray scale...almost glistens in the way that nitrate might. Blacks are controlled, and never seem to reach the highest densities. The overall look is beautiful."

A few words about...The Artist -- in Blu-ray

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Colin Jacobson said:
I would agree that this wasn't a situation like 1990 or 1994 where the (IMO) much, much stronger movie got beaten - I can't look at one of the other nominees from last year and say that it clearly should have won.  I wanted "Descendants" to win, but I can't claim it was a travesty that it didn't.
I remain of the mind that "Artist" is an okay movie that would've gotten much, much less attention without its gimmick...
What does this even mean? :) Really. The "gimmick" as you call it, is the film's reason for being. It's not a "gimmick" any more than any other film's style is a "gimmick." It was voted best picture because that's what Academy members voted for. It's fine to think it didn't deserve it but to say it would have had less attention without its gimmick is, well, I don't know what it is. Of course it would have had much less attention - because the film wouldn't exist.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/321720/the-artist-blu-ray-review#post_3941767
What does this even mean? Really. The "gimmick" as you call it, is the film's reason for being. It's not a "gimmick" any more than any other film's style is a "gimmick." It was voted best picture because that's what Academy members voted for. It's fine to think it didn't deserve it but to say it would have had less attention without its gimmick is, well, I don't know what it is. Of course it would have had much less attention - because the film wouldn't exist.

Why did this movie NEED to be black and white/silent? It didn't. They could've told the exact same story with more modern methods and it would've been no worse. I don't see how pretending to be an old movie is this one's "reason for being" - and if it is, that's more damning, as it implies the movie had nothing else going for it other than cheap cinematic emulation...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Colin Jacobson said:
I'm not sure how emulating 85-year-old movies - with a story rehashed from other, better movies - equals "ingenuity".
And I don't see "sour grapes" here.  That implies that those of us who don't think "Artist" should've won are bitter about it for some reason and think something else got screwed.  That's not the case - while I preferred some of the other nominees, I wasn't upset they lost. I simply felt "Artist" wasn't worthy of Best Picture...
You can debate originality till the end of time. If something works, it works. If it's done well, people will enjoy it again. You think it's easy to make a successful silent movie in this era? You see NO ingenuity or artistry or skill in the film? Fine if you preferred another movie, but dismissing it as a "gimmick" sounds like sour grapes bitterness to me because it's not a good argument. I think dismissing the success of "The Artists" as simply a "gimmick" is very shortsighted in that it pointedly ignores that the movie succeeds without elements all the other films used. If you want an excuse to dismiss a movie, there are plenty of effective and successful movies that you could poke at for having a "gimmick." It's like saying Wallenda was using Niagara falls as a gimmick when he could have done his walk elsewhere. You may as well be asking why The Haunting or Paper Moon or Last Picture Show needed to be in B&W when they could have told the same story in color. And if The Artist wasn't told in the B&W silent style you would probably be right here again arguing that it had nothing new or unusual to bring to the table. Making The Artist in that style was an artistic challenge that made it more interesting. I think this movie didn't win because it was "silent" - it won because it was a GOOD movie despite lack of dialogue, color, etc...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/321720/the-artist-blu-ray-review#post_3941775
You can debate originality till the end of time. If something works, it works. If it's done well, people will enjoy it again. You think it's easy to make a successful silent movie in this era? You see NO ingenuity or artistry or skill in the film? Fine if you preferred another movie, but dismissing it as a "gimmick" sounds like sour grapes bitterness to me because it's not a good argument. I think dismissing the success of "The Artists" as simply a "gimmick" is very shortsighted in that it pointedly ignores that the movie succeeds without elements all the other films used. If you want an excuse to dismiss a movie, there are plenty of effective and successful movies that you could poke at for having a "gimmick." In this case it's not an effective argument. And it if it wasn't told in the B&W silent style you would probably be right here again arguing that it had nothing unique to bring to the table. I think this movie didn't win because it was "silent" - it won because it was a GOOD movie despite lack of dialogue, color, etc...

I never said it was an incompetently made film. I never said there was no artistry or skill in the film. Ingenuity? Not so much, but it's a professionally made movie.

That got lots and lots of attention because it was a novelty.

You can debate until the end of time that "The Artist" won awards because it was such a great movie - I'll continue to disagree. Neither of us can ever "prove" our opinions.

However, I will continue to deny that there were any "sour grapes". As I said, I had no horse in this race - the 2011 Oscars were devoid of any movie I really wanted to win, so I'm not mad that the Academy chose "Artist" over my fave rave. I simply think they made a mistake. It's possible to disagree with their choice with "sour grapes" being involved...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Colin Jacobson said:
Why did this movie NEED to be black and white/silent?  It didn't.  They could've told the exact same story with more modern methods and it would've been no worse.  I don't see how pretending to be an old movie is this one's "reason for being" - and if it is, that's more damning, as it implies the movie had nothing else going for it other than cheap cinematic emulation...
Because that's what its director/writer wanted to do. There is no arguing this. You didn't find it deserving of all the praise, others did. He didn't want to tell this story any other way. He wanted to do a movie in the style of silent movies. That's his choice, like it or not. Whether YOU think it didn't need to be black-and-white and silent is completely irrelevant. He is the filmmaker, not you. You are an audience member and can respond or not. I thought he succeeded in everything he set out to to, unlike most of the tripe I see today.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When I say "gimmick", I don't really mean it in a bad way. I mean that it's one of the things that made the movie stand out in people's minds. Much like how Rope was done in a few takes or Saving Private Ryan recreated the D-Day invasion or Avatar was in 3-D, it's the aspect of the movie that people were most focused on. In the case of The Artist, I think people enjoyed the silent movie aspect of it and that, coupled with its other positive qualities, is why it won Best Picture.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/321720/the-artist-blu-ray-review#post_3941779
Because that's what its director/writer wanted to do. There is no arguing this. You didn't find it deserving of all the praise, others did. He didn't want to tell this story any other way. He wanted to do a movie in the style of silent movies. That's his choice, like it or not. Whether YOU think it didn't need to be black-and-white and silent is completely irrelevant. He is the filmmaker, not you. You are an audience member and can respond or not. I thought he succeeded in everything he set out to to, unlike most of the tripe I see today.

So dissenting opinions are irrelevant? Whatever a director/writer chooses to do means those choices are essential and can't be debated? Seriously???

John Skoda

Second Unit
I enjoyed THE ARTIST and will be picking up the blu-ray on Tuesday. But if it had really been made as a silent movie in the time it depicts, it would have been a "B" movie and nothing more.
THE ARTIST is fun and different for these times. But see WINGS if you want a sense of the level of achievement of silent movies.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Wouldn't it be nice to think that The Artist is inspiring other people (i.e., in addition to Ron) to explore some other silent movies?

I'll bet it's doing exactly that.

Haven't seen it yet, but I totally look forward to doing so.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Colin Jacobson said:
So dissenting opinions are irrelevant?  Whatever a director/writer chooses to do means those choices are essential and can't be debated?  Seriously??? :td:
While it's convenient to leave out what I was responding specifically to, I'd just ask others to scroll up so they can see it. I won't play this game, sorry.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Colin Jacobson said:
However, I will continue to deny that there were any "sour grapes". As I said, I had no horse in this race - the 2011 Oscars were devoid of any movie I really wanted to win, so I'm not mad that the Academy chose "Artist" over my fave rave. I simply think they made a mistake. It's possible to disagree with their choice with "sour grapes" being involved...
I hesitate to speak for others, but my impression is that the "sour grapes" remark was aimed primarily at Lord Dalek, who essentially accused Harvey Weinstein of bribing the Academy. See his evidence-free comment about "the usual Weinstein payola scam."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher /t/321720/the-artist-blu-ray-review/30#post_3941904

I hesitate to speak for others, but my impression is that the "sour grapes" remark was aimed primarily at Lord Dalek, who essentially accused Harvey Weinstein of bribing the Academy. See his evidence-free comment about "the usual Weinstein payola scam."

He continued to use the "sour grapes" accusation in a response to me, so I don't think it's just a discussion of the alleged payoff...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ronald Epstein said:
Rich,
Had the opportunity to watch this on Blu-ray the other evening.
I agree that this is a highly enjoyable, feel-good movie.  It also
inspired me to look closer at silent movies.  Shortly after seeing
the film for the first time, I bought Wings on Blu-ray (which I also
enjoyed).
The transfer looks remarkable.
Thanks for the review.
Since my copy preorder hasn't even shipped yet, I'm curious how the picture is framed. When I saw it, i remember grey bars flanking the picture in the beginning, and it took this ostensibly premium cinema quite a while to bring in the masking.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
NY2LA said:
Since my copy preorder hasn't even shipped yet, I'm curious how the picture is framed. When I saw it, i remember grey bars flanking the picture in the beginning, and it took this ostensibly premium cinema quite a while to bring in the masking.
The 35mm prints had black bars on the left and right (with the actual Academy ratio image set to the height of a 1.85 frame). I didn't see it projected digitally.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese said:
The 35mm prints had black bars on the left and right (with the actual Academy ratio image set to the height of a 1.85 frame). I didn't see it projected digitally.
Thank you. That's as it should be, but this "state-of the-art 'black box'" cinema had grey bars until they thought to close the masking about 20-30 minutes in.
If this disc were an anamorphic transfer, shouldn't they be able to get a hell of a lot of picture detail in that little 4x3 frame?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
NY2LA said:
Thank you. That's as it should be, but this "state-of the-art 'black box'" cinema had grey bars until they thought to close the masking about 20-30 minutes in.
If this disc were an anamorphic transfer, shouldn't they be able to get a hell of a lot of picture detail in that little 4x3 frame?
Should be the same level of detail as every other Academy ratio film released on Blu-ray.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Blu-ray uses native HD 16x9 for its video encodes, so the disc is 1.33:1 16x9 Pillarbox, with the black side mattes hard encoded into the picture, just like any classic Academy Ratio film, such as Wings, Gone with the Wind, etc. There is no "anamorphic enhancement" needed for HD content on Blu-ray. (If you divide 1920x1080 by 120 on each side you get 16x9).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Peter Apruzzese /t/321720/the-artist-blu-ray-review/30#post_3941976

Played the film digitally in the theatres and there were black bars on the sides to give it a 1.37:1 look. After the first day we manually brought in the masking to give it a better presentation when the title started from then on. That stopped the complaints from the guests that something was wrong with film since it got smaller after the trailers played.

I really enjoyed the film in theatres and saw it several times. I was impressed with the acting for they had to tell their story with actions and facial expressions, which is much harder to do than just using voice and voice inflections to do so. Silent acting is a lost art. I think that is what grabbed most people and why they enjoyed the picture. Was it a gimmick, no, it was different and that is what made it what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks