What's new

The Aristocats 2-Disc SE - March 27th (1 Viewer)

yamiiguy

Grip
Real Name
Calvin
An insert in the Cinderella 3 DVD:

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Still not sure whether to import or wait for a UK release though.
Source

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not too crazy about that cover art.

Before we get into the aspect ratio debate, let me tell you that when the Library of Congress screened this film in 2005 as part of their cat film series, they used an original IB Technicolor print, and screened it at a weird ratio. They claimed the print itself was matted, but the projectionist showed it at what looked like 2:1, and it was definitely overmatted.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I agree. The characters should at least be rendered in the same style in which they were drawn for the film. Those cats on the cover look much more three-dimensional than they do in the film.

And, Thomas O'Malley cat looks a little "off" to me. Maybe its just the color...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like the attempts at faux-depth rendering of 2-dimensional characters.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
But with 2 discs, and the way they've been going with extras on non-Platinums, it's possible they could do a widescreen/fullscreen combo.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just tried the link cited at the bottom of the insert pictured in Post #1:

aristocatsdvd.com

Doesn't work. Release date is only a couple of months away.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

I've always hated that. The characters on Disney video cover art haven't looked like they look in the films for at least 20 years. There are longstanding bad habits/traditions entrenched in the product art department (or whatever it's called) that I really wish would be shaken up.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
MY guess is that this'll wind up in 1.78:1, given that it's a "new digital transfer", and that previous experience tells me this was meant to be projected 1.75:1.

yamiiguy

Grip
Real Name
Calvin
As you might have already expected, The Aristocats: 2-Disc Special Edition will not be making the March 27th release date announced in an insert inside Cinderella III. BVHE has yet to set a new date, but a spring release is still possible. The DVD's first video preview will be found on Peter Pan: Platinum Edition next month.

from ultimatedisney.com

well that's dissapointing :frowning:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I always thought the release date was too close to both Cinderella III and Peter Pan. I'd betting this will be a late spring/early summer release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
At least the delay is not so they can think of an inane "edition" name for the disc.

In case you were wondering, Disney just pulled the plug on "Aristocats 2".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks